Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, that's great news! Good to hear someone here from the US is helping you out with your purchase. The two or three week wait is a killer (I hate the whole instant gratification thing but two or three weeks ahhhh). It's taken the best part of two months for me to get mine, which should be in my hands for this weekend.

An open box deal with the extra $200 off is an amazing deal, and well worth the wait. It's a no brainer for all that goodness you're getting!

Did they still have the $25 discount going on the S-pen?

What was the "hover issue"? I must have missed or forgotten about that?

Have you tried out the Iris software on another device? I guess the colour shift doesn't affect you too much seeing as you work in black and white most of the time? I think the Creators Update has a similar function built in, but I'm not sure how M$ have implemented the night light feature?

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I should have said, "Hover-click" issue. -Getting the pen button to perform a right-click while hovering rather than summoning that phone-appropriate-but-stupid-for-laptops Samsung launch menu.

I've not tried the Iris software yet, but I don't see why it can't be calibrated for color, and anyway, you're right; I work mostly in black & white. Whatever the case, the screen is obviously not so bright that it can't be worked with at 100%. -I mean, today was a cloudless Summer day, and my eyes were able to adjust no problem. And I bet the average white surface was kicking off more daylight than a 350 nit screen can put out.

I quite like the idea behind 'Iris'. -The LCD screen is entirely capable of going dark enough to block out the backlight; why not just use it to keep the brightness down? It's a waste of power to not just cut the voltage to the LEDs, but since that's not an option I don't think I'll mind spending some battery life to get a clean signal while working in dim room light conditions.

I just picked up the S Pen on eBay. It was around $50 USD. -A bit dear for a plastic stick with an antenna inside, but overall at this point it's a triviality.

Anyway.., it's not here yet, and there are plenty of ways things can still go wrong, so I'm going to tamp down a bit on the anticipation. My old Tecra still has several laps to complete before settling (back) into well-earned retirement!

twospirits and Shizaru like this.
  3. Shizaru

Just dropping this here...yet another solution for changing the s pen button function.

This fix uses an AutoHotKey script, discussed in the Galaxy Book thread here http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...-discussion-thread.71795/page-223#post-506870 and confirmed working here http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...-discussion-thread.71795/page-224#post-506899 .

I wonder if @lblb would consider add this as a feature in his Toolbar Creator script? That would be useful for all the Gallaxy book and Notebook 9 Pro users.

twospirits likes this.
  4. Shizaru

5. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

FYI I have this Dell 34" monitor which I quite like and normally use with a 2013 Mac Pro:

Dell UltraSharp U3415W PXF79 34-Inch Curved LED-Lit Monitor
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PXYRMPE/

I connected the Notebook 9 Pro via HDMI cable and it looked good. The monitor itself reported that it was running at a "current frequency" of 50Hz and a "max frequency" of 60Hz. Not sure why there is a current vs. a max as I didn't think LEDs swung back and forth, but I presume it was running at 50Hz the whole time, and it looked fine.

6. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Assuming this works, I checked on the API and it seems it's possible for autohotkey to detect the application running, so we can technically modify the script to have a different behavior per application. Worst case, I'll try coding a GUI application that handles that.

Selofain and Shizaru like this.
  7. Shizaru

I like your thinking! Your idea would be a much better solution - we get to keep our cake and eat it. Would you be able to arrange it so that the user can chose what function they want the side button to perform? If that could also be on a per app basis that would be very cool.

8. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I checked out the autohotkey script and it does work for the button but like the other tool, the stylus with eraser ends break. Like moving the eraser tip closer to the screen triggers the right click. At least the eraser works but you would need a keyboard to press esc if you were going to really erase.

I've checked the active application check and it seems to work correctly if you use WinActive function but I think it uses the exe file's name. With all this testing, I think it is feasible to make a GUI for this.

Basically:
    1. User copies autohotkey to folder
    2. User copies AHKHID to folder
    3. User copies gui to folder
    4. User runs GUI and modifies settings
    5. GUI kills running instance of script (if already running)
    6. GUI runs application

Hopefully I'll have spare time to actually make this. Unfortunately, I rarely use the button. Worst case, I'll start it and upload it on GitHub for someone else to finish.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 11:12 PM
    twospirits and Shizaru like this.
  9. Shizaru

Thanks for doing the research and reporting your findings. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who would appreciate your efforts, and hopefully someone with the skills will come forward to help with the development once things are in motion?

twospirits likes this.
  10. Shizaru

The eagle has finally landed.

I'm completely blown away by the Notebook 9 Pro it has exceeded my expectations.

Build quality is first class very ridged close fitting. It feels really nice with great ergonomics...the finish is a little too slick, leaving you feeling it could slip away from you if you're not paying attention. One thing that I think could be better is the resistance of the hinge. It takes very little pressure to cause the screen to move away from you. A nice touch that I haven't seen anyone mention is the small raised lip encompassing the keyboard and track pad. Which helps protect the finish when used in presentation or tablet mode.

The speakers are far better than I was expecting after reading and watching reviews. Obviously they aren't great with respect to larger laptops or higher end audio devices, but come on this device is a slim 2 in 1, it's physically impossible to get a refined audio system that has decent dynamic range in an enclosure like this. It's easy to improve on the default sound using the graphic equalizer in the Realtek settings. Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray > Open Volume Mixer > Click on the Speaker Icon > Enhancements - now enable Immediate and Equalizer then click on the [...] icon to the right of setting: [current profile name] to bring up the eq. If you want to increase the bass presence while maintaining headroom it's best to subtract frequencies to the right of the low mids. That will raise the bass presence without driving the preamp harder, which will reduce the chances of clipping. Obviously the eq will be different for different peoples hearing characteristics, so you will need to experiment to find the sweet spot for you. Just avoid the temptation to push the bass frequencies up! Make sure you save your profile or profiles for different media sources. If you use VLC you can do a much better job with the tools they provide. Their EQ system is great and the compressor can really help you get the most out of the audio chain. It's best to only use one audio processing syetem at anyone time imho. You can also use the Realtek Audio Manager application to access the same EQ settings mentioned previously.

The screen looks amazing for a 1920x1080 nice range of brightness and colour. I noticed a small area of light bleed in the lower third on the righthand side, around 2" up from the corner. It's very noticeable on a black screen, and it reacts to light pressure if you press down with a pen in that region. It also reacts if you apply relatively light pressure between finger and thumb squeezing the bezel. For some reason (probably a cable cutout?) it's quite flexible in that small region of the screen. Everywhere else is much more ridged. It's probably best to try and avoid handling the screen in that area when you open or adjust the panel.

The power switch isn't quite as poorly placed as I had expected but I guess that really depends on how you handle the device. I expected it to be more of an issue in tablet mode but surprisingly it's relatively difficult to press it inadvertently when the screen if flipped a full 180.

With respect to using the Notebook 9 Pro in an artistic capacity I find the bezels are way too small. I know that statement isn't going to be popular but it's very difficult to maneuver the device without causing unwanted touch inputs. Even when I was using it on my Ergotron arm I kept screwing stuff up when I was moving positions. Imho it would be much better if the side bezels were at least the size of the top bezel or possibly marginally larger.

Now for the Pen holy cr4ap is the pen accuracy good on this baby! The digital stylus has finally evolved.

The new generation of pens are super accurate in every respect although pressure sensitivity varies quite a bit especially the initial force. Edge detection is phenomenal good with the only real problem areas being tight in the corners of the screen. To be honest compared to the older devices I have used it's not a problem at all in reality...it leaves the Companion 1 for dead when it comes to edge detection.

I have tried:

1. The Staedtler Noris Digital which is quite simple the best stylus experience I have ever had on any device. Unbelievably accurate, great pressure and tilt, and it's the best with respect to edge detection. The nib feel on the screen is delightful at least for my taste and their is absolutely zero play in the nib. Ergonomically the pen is very nice in the hand and it really is like using a traditional pencil. I'm a big fan of the side buttons but I am definitely going to have to adjust to using the Staedtler...there's simply no going back once you experience it!

2. The Samsung S-Pen (full size) it's a little bit on the small side compared to your average full sized stylus that most of us are probably used to, and the shape isn't the best ergonomically imho. Nib feel is much like the Staedtler, but looking down to the nib isn't as natural feeling as the tapered sharpened pencil profile of the Staedtler. It's very accuracey and pressure goes it's pretty good based on my limited amount of time using it. Edge detection is very good and on par with the Staedtler. Where I think it wins a bit is that it feels quite robust plus it has a side switch and pocket clip. It's ideal to keep tucked away inside your laptop bag or case for when you're out on the road, or for those occasions when you lose or forget your primary pen - assuming you like the Staedtler as much as I do?

3. The supplied S-Pen which lives inside the silo. Considering its miniscule size it's actually far more usable than I expected, probably not something you would want to spend hours using but usable none the less. It's the best with respect to edge detection even performing very well in the corners. Nib feel and zero play just like the previous pens mentioned above. The S-Pen FSize and the builtin S-Pen both have a very low initial force required and they both respond well to tilt. Despite it's insignificant appearance this pen will probably be a life saver, on more than one occasion, and we will all be very pleased that we have it tucked away inside the device.

4. The old S-Pen stowed away in my ATIV XE700T. It's chunkier than the new Notebook 9 S-Pen and it's not too bad with regard to edge detection although the new pen is better. I have the old black nib in mine and it feels pretty close to the new nibs. It needs much more initial force to produce a stroke on the screen and it does provide tilt but due to the profile of the end of the pen it's not great for tilt input. There is some degree of offset present as well. If you happen to come across one very cheap it could be worth having just as a back up, although the pressure curve would need to be adjusted to make it usable imho.

5. The Wacom UP-817E which has one of the old hard white nibs. I'm used to using it but in comparison to the new nibs it's feels reasonably okay but it is much more skittish. Edge detection is by far the worst all around the screen, and immediately takes you back to the old EMR days. It also has a really nasty offset going on using the default calibration. Activation force is fairly close to the first two pens and it supports tilt, although the Staedtler wins out on tilt performance. Although re-calibration would probably make it far more usable, I personally don't think it offers a nice enough experience to justify the effort, unless you love that style of pen with its two side switches and an eraser. It would make it very difficult to switch back a forth between other pens if you could manage to recalibrate it.

That's all the pens I have at hand to test and they are listed in order of my preference - your mileage may vary of course. For the sake of ease of reference I tested all the pens using the Windows 10 Ink Workspace Sketch application. That seemed the most obvious way to avoid any application specific variation between pens, and it will be easier for other people to use as a baseline reference.

After watching @Azzart's video showing off the Galaxy Book 12 I would have been happy to get the same pen accuracy he demonstrated. Although it's a little subjective trying to judge hands on experience with a video, I think the Notebook 9 Pro may have a slight edge on the Galaxy Book pen experience?

I haven't done any heavy lifting with the device yet, but in normal use browsing and working on documents it runs extremely cool and I haven't noticed the fans once. The screen is super cool which is nice compared to using an all in one tablet where the screens can often get quite hot...that's an advantage of this form factor that I hadn't considered previously.

So far I really can't find fault with the N9P and once I actually get round to doing a proper install it's going to be my daily driver without a shadow of doubt. As I already mentioned the one area that could really do with improvement would be the tension of the hinges. It would be great if the device could be used as it's own easel...either by creating some defined lock of points at maybe three fixed angles, or graduated by means of a hinge mechanism like that on the Surface Book.

A common complaint has been directed at Samsung's choice of SSD they have installed. Although that criticism is valid now that I have used the machine I'm not sure it's as significant as I had first thought. If you're buying this device primarily as an art tool and your main interest is the use of art packages I don't think the speed of the drive is going to have a particularly detrimental impact. Once you have loaded the art package you're not really dependent on disk performance especially with 16GB of ram. Granted saving and loading files will be slower but in reality it's not really going to be much of an issue. Clearly if you're doing animation or 3D modeling etc. disk performance may be more of a problem. Upgrading the SSD to an NVMe isn't much of a challenge, and if you're just using art applications it's probably best to hold off upgrading, until the prices come down, or you see a really good deal on a drive.

Another minor gripe is the lack of full 4K 60HZ and full spec. USB-C/Thunderbolt which is really only an issue if you already need those features or will in the short term. Unfortunately for the rest of us it puts a dent in the future proofing of the N9P. That being said the N9P offers an outstanding pen experience imho, and it's very competitively priced considering what you're actually getting. It would have been nice if the N9P was release with the new Intel Gen 8 4 core part, but then we would only just be seeing them hit the shelves around now. I will admit I could make use of the extra two cores for virtualization. Regardless of that this machine is quite a performer and will probably be more than capable for the most popular art based applications.

One things for sure I would have been gutted if I had brought a Wacom Mobilestudio Pro 13" @ £2300 and a friend sat down beside me using an N9P that cost $1199 or so. The actual pen experience is on par and the expresskeys can be added by buying a Wacom Expresskey Remote or an XP-Pen Shortcut Remote. Wacom don't offer an equivalent to the Staedtler pen which is a unique experience for a styles device. The 2 in 1 format offers some advantages for anyone who wants an all purpose device that performs exceptionally well as a mobile studio.

I can honestly say I have absolutely no doubt that this is the ideal machine for my use case and that includes the issues involved importing it. Getting used to the American keyboard is a bit of a bummer but it's not really a big deal unless I try looking for a wrongly marked key when I have one of my many brain farts.

I could go on but most of what I would have to say is in keeping with what I have watched and read in reviews.

Sorry for the long rambling post! I simply couldn't express how pleased I am with this unit in a short concise paragraph or two. Hopefully someone will manage to extract something useful from it?

TLDR: The Notebook 9 Pro is awesome, go and get one, and make sure you get a Staedtler Noris to keep it company. You wont regret it!

No Wacom MSP or Apple pencil users were harmed during the authoring of this post. There are probably a few that feel a little pissed now though. lmao

@thatcomicsguy you are going to so pleased with your new machine when you get hold of it - I'm willing to bet money on it.

P.S. Sorry if there are too many grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, I don't have time to proof read it right now. (Edit: Okay I went and fixed a couple of the really bad ones.)

I forgot to mention that the screen is held open/closed by magnets in tablet and notebook modes. The magnets aren't particularly strong especially in tablet mode, although they are strong enough to make opening the unit up from the normal closed position a little awkward.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017 at 11:54 PM
    twospirits, Tams, Art_N00b and 5 others like this.