Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

If I were you I would ask them to elevate that from "feedback" to "a fault" that is preventing you from using a popular application as it's intended. I suspect that they will blame either Windows or Zbrush but you never know they may figure out a workaround?

2. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Im having a hard time understanding your problem and how its effecting zbrush. I have been using it fine for the past couple weeks. Care to go into detail? maybe I can help.

3. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I upgraded to the latest firmware and it seems to be draining battery more. Hopefully it normalizes after I run it down. Worst case, I'll do a full charge then do the bios battery calibration. Annoyingly, I hate how the bios is so limited on this PC. So many of the settings can't be changed since they are hidden.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  4. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry that youre experiencing the same as I have been. Its still intermittent to be honest. I have had a couple times where it would get warm and show low battery life, but for the most part it seems to be evening out. Give it time i guess? I agree about the bios, i went into them to see what I could mess with and there werent many options at all.

5. Shizaru

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    soh5 and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. Shizaru

Has anyone tried running Virtualbox with a Debian/Ubuntu or Mint VM on their N9P yet?

7. Shizaru

If anyone is finding the PWM flicker is a problem on their Notebook 9 Pro here's something you might like to try.

Iris mini is software for eye protection. It can reduce the color temperature of the screen and it can also reduce the screen brightness without increasing the flicker rate of the monitor (the so called PWM problem).

Available for Windows, Mac and Linux

https://iristech.co/iris-mini/
    If you try it some feedback on your findings would me nice, especially with respect to any problems it may cause with colour changes. It looks like it won't be that useful when you're creating artwork?

Thinking about it this feature is part of Windows 10 Creator's Update 1703.

@thatcomicsguy

This looks like it may be interesting Intel Dev Zone - See post by Alexander S. Thread > Download

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  8. Shizaru

Some more videos from Mike Mu, where he upgrades the SSD in his Notebook 9 Pro 15".

Part One: Covers drive imaging/cloning the original SSD.

Part Two: Installing a Samsung 960 Pro NVMe.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hargh! Yessss!

I just bought one of these beauties! -Set up a little networky deal with a fine fellow in the U.S. who's gonna receive it for me and redirect it into the Northern Expanse.

I ought to have device in hand in two or three weeks.

Got a great deal on it too. -A re-certified open box plus an extra $200 discount sale they're having this week. I'm glad I waited a bit.

Also, thanks to the excellent networking on this thread, it looks like all the potential issues have been solved in advance. Stylus hover issues - SOLVED, (I also ordered one of those full-sized S Pens). Screen brightness/PWM issue - SOLVED (that Iris software looks like a smart, solid answer). Too-easily pressed power button - SOLVED. (Turn that sucker off.) And frankly, there doesn't look like anything else is really wrong with this device. The user reviews on both Amazon and Best Buy are extremely positive. Good.

Now.., just the waiting.

Christmas is coming! :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    twospirits, Selofain, Azzart and 2 others like this.
  10. Shizaru

Sorry for quoting my own post. I have done so in case anyone intends to follow the guide for creating a custom Creators Update installation image, which is discussed in the video guide I linked to.

I have added a Warning to original post because it's looking like M$ have made changes which removs the Windows search functionality, if you strip out Cortana in the custom build. As of this writing it doesn't look like there is away to recover the search functionality, which will mean reinstalling the complete OS to restore the search including f%$*ing Cortana.

I haven't tested this personally but from what I'm reading it seems to be a problem for a growing number of people.

Open the spoiler to read the post and the warning...
    I think I will be following this to decrapolate Win 10 there is a thread on the notebookreview site which gives a nice detailed Win 10 build guide.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-creators-update-bloatware-free-edition.804247/

NOTE / Warning: From what I'm reading there are reports that removing Cortana removes the search functionality from the windows system. I haven't tested this but it's looking like M$ have changed something prior to the up coming Fall Creators edition update. It also looks like there isn't a hack to recover the search system as of this writing 12/09/2017.

It looks like M$ are closing the doors in their determination to steal and abuse every scrap of a users activities whenever they login to a M$ os!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    twospirits likes this.