Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a tough call. The 21" Cintiq on my desk at the moment may be old, but there's very little to complain about with it.

That AES Dell was really nice. I loved it being lighter and thinner; it fit into my back pack really easily. And the instant-on and having such a long battery life... And good screen touch! -Going back to the Tecra reminded me of how much things have advanced.

But then again...

Windows 10 was and remains a giant POS and Microsoft blithely ignores all criticisms and appeals for changes, and just keeps on maintaining those craptastic features which make me want to rip my hair out. I think sometimes they are in league with the devil; allowed fame and glory in return for mildly frustrating millions of people every day to feed the Matrix a steady diet of anger aether.

Hm...

A Dell Canvas, 27" without feeding the devil, or a portable marvel which is partly fueled on sanity.

Decisions, decisions...

Bronsky and WillAdams like this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

And that is why I'd give my interest in Hell for a portable w/ a stylus running Mac OS X or Linux.

If I could get 10.6.8 running on my Fujitsu Stylistic, I'd probably buy a stack off eBay and just tell the industry to pound sand.

Maybe I'll just break down and buy an Eve V.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I love Windows 10, even more than Windows 8.1 :D

*runs away looking for cover*

dstrauss, JoeS and DRTigerlilly like this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Out of curiosity, which were the features that you had the most issue with compared to Windows 7?

I'm currently researching methods for customizing Windows 10: paring down services, understanding new security structures and settings, etc...I'll do some research on your issues too. ;)

5. thatcomicsguy

The details are all beginning to fade now like a bad dream, but one major item was that I never managed to disable that fly-out panel activated by touching the Right side of the screen. I can't remember what it was called, but it was full of BS notices I didn't ever need or ask for.

And while it was possible to sneak behind the OS and turn off the automatic update service, the fact that it wouldn't allow me to do so from within the normal settings structure irked me to no end. It was emblematic of the entire psychology in which the OS was marinated.

"Stop trying to exercise free will. We are in control. We own your computer, citizen, not you. Love is Hate, War is Peace, Ignorance is Freedom."

(Mind you.., part of my frustration was tightly linked to not being able to draw a straight effing line. So maybe the Windows 10 experience would be less annoying on a Wacom EMR system. :))

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  6. Marty

Actually, I find most modern OSes restrict and obfuscate far too much in general. If you think the hidden settings seem deliberately maddening on Windows 10, wait till you give MacOS a try... :p

But I can solve your question about the Action Center (fly-out panel)...the issue I think is that you were using the Home version of Win10 without the group policy editor, which allows you to disable via GUI:

[​IMG]

On the Home version, you need to disable via Registry:

[​IMG]

That will disable the fly-out permanently (no more annoying screen activations).

Was there any other issues that you couldn't work around? I'll add those to my list of common issues.

7. thatcomicsguy

I believe I did have some flavor of the Home version, but any and all such registry edits failed to work, either by just flat-out not working, or because the registry didn't have the same parts as those in the "How to" advice forums. That was another maddening aspect of it all; it felt like my system was specifically trying to be difficult.

I can't remember now if I bothered trying to install some other version of Win10. I spent 6 months fighting with the system and made some fair headway and learned a lot, but certain problems persisted. -Not the least of which was that strange loss of stylus input when in tablet mode, which I never was able to determine as being a hardware or software issue, or both. I just gave up in the end. No computer (or OS) is deserving of existence if you have to fight with it that much.

~~~~EDIT:

I'm hoping, though, that Samsung's implementation of Win10 will have solved some the irritations. Win10 is still a young OS, and with time many of these issues get solved around, either by MS or the hacker community.

8. Marty

Woah! So you're interest in a new 15" EMR tablet is that so strong to make you optimistic? There's hope yet... ;)

I am curious though, what purchase price in CAD would be your limit?

Even a pretty reasonable MSRP like $1500 USD, would put it over $2000 CAD, before our oh-so-lovely taxes.

(Canadians also rarely ever get the super sales that happen down in the States, doubly so for more niche devices like this.)

I recently learned that many of our members are used to paying like 33% of MSRP! Are you planning on waiting 1-2 years for such a deal?

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Windows 10 in a desktop environment is growing on me, but I havent had any mobile devices with it. I agree its the most "apple-ish" of Window's so far, but Im slowly adapting to it. I shut a vast majority of the bells and whistles off at first and slowly begun turning them back on at my own pace to see if i needed them or wanted them.

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

A secure home and work environment would allow me to consider putting some big cash towards an expensive new machine.

I've got to move soon, and there are many uncertainties floating around. Just renting a big truck for a long haul move is going to be bloody expensive. My savings are earmarked accordingly. Needs and Wants, right?