Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I got mine with the Galaxy Book. That Amazon link you shared is the same thing.

2. surfaceproartist

See this link for Yoga 720 jitter tests. These are all done freehand. The random non-jittery lines are produced at my typical drawing speed (approximately 1 second per stroke). The other strokes were drawn over approximately two to five seconds each. (Sorry I forgot how to embed an image again.)

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjSfN_wn_-nWlPUF1cJ7T7EQheuCaA

I wouldn't consider either the Yoga 720 or Samsung N9P screens "flexible." They're both quite solid. The drawback of the Yoga is that the display doesn't lie entirely flat when in tablet mode, so there's a little play in the upper corners that might be a little distracting. Build quality of both laptops is very good. I think the Yoga is a better looking machine but the keyboard is better on the Samsung.

Shizaru likes this.
  3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you very much for taking the time with your detailed reply.

I'm fairly confident that I would find the jitter very irritating even though I was trying to justify taking a chance with it. Your image has made it obvious that it's not worth the risk for me.

The fact that the screen doesn't fit flush in tablet mode is also a concern...that sort of thing tends to bugs me. I'm guessing this issue doesn't stress the hinges? I'm probably going to be using the device in tablet mode for extended periods regularly. I tend not to put too much pressure on the top area as I keep most of my drawing towards the mid portion of the screen. So apart from aesthetics it probably wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I think I can safely remove the 720 from my list. Which leaves the N9P, as the only choice that meets more of my wants/needs than the rest of the competition, with the exception of the off limits form me MediaStudio Pro.

It's looking like I need to order an N9P with the Staedtler pen and completely change my workflow, and hope Samsung sorts out the crippled pen control at some point and an alternative full function pen comes along.

Thanks again your input has helped me edge towards a final decision.

I'm not sure that you can embed images from the MS drive directly? You can uploads images using something like http://postimages.org/ and use the links provided. It's free and you don't need to create an account to upload.

4. surfaceproartist

Correct. The slight amount of play is only at the top of the display, the area where you're least likely to place pressure (unless you're working in portrait mode). There's no stress at all on the hinges.

The lack of Samsung N9P pen customization is the Achilles' heel of that device for the time being. But if you're going to be using the button-less Noris Digital, I guess it's not much of a concern for you!

Shizaru likes this.
  5. Shizaru

The Staedtler isn't a preferred choice to be honest, but given the fact that the pen configuration isn't fully featured I'm doubtful that my old pens will give the best performance? From what I have been reading artist far better than me seem to rate the Staedtler highly - if it's good enough for them I'm happy with their recommendation. Not having a fully assignable button or buttons is going to screw me anyway, so having no button isn't going to seem so painful. I'm just going to have to invest some time setting up profiles in some on screen button software. Which I would have to do anyway given the absence of the Wacom radial menu. Of course I'm hoping there maybe some workarounds as time goes on.

I agree it's an Achilles heel alright and it's a compromise that's really holding me back in the decision process. Given the difficulty in obtaining the device in Europe I hoping I can sell it on, if it turns out to be unworkable for me. That's the only way I can rationalise taking the risk right now.

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You might take a look at this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-EJ-PT...502509912&sr=8-9&keywords=samsung+tab+a+s-pen

It looks like it can be gotten for a more reasonable price through US retailers, and it ought to solve most of the various stylus-related problems encountered so far. (Good, assignable button if you follow the pseudo-hack, good calibration and a reasonable pressure curve). It's the same width as the Staedtler, so ought to be comfortable enough to use.

Shizaru likes this.
  7. surfaceproartist

That S-Pen is definitely the way to go for extended use. @Azzart has both I think. He should weigh in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. Shizaru

That's great thanks for bring it to my attention!

Here it is on BestBuy Samsung S Pen currently $80 the stupid thing is the pen linked in the BestBuy accessories list for the N9P is the wrong bloody pen for the device [Bamboo Ink Smart].

I'm planning on buying from BestBuy so it makes sense to add that to my order. I will get the Staedtler as well as it may suit some applications and my style better? I can always sell one on or switch between the two if I like both?

The N9P currently has a $100 discount as of this writing!

Time to start getting serious me thinks? Are there any traditional sale dates due at BestBuy within the next week or so or should I just go for it when I can?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  9. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Just curious, is the Staedtler and the included S pen the only options for 4,000 pressure levels?

10. Shizaru

No, there is a full sized S Pen which ThatComicsGuy just linked to above which has 4096 levels. Here it is on BestBuy > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-s-pen-stylus-black/5754704.p?skuId=5754704 .

EDIT:
    Here is the Samsung page for the S Pen (EJ-PT820BBEGUJ) http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/tablets/s-pen-ej-pt820bbeguj/

Does any one know what the situation is with obtaining replacement nibs? I seem to remember someone (surfaceproartist?) mentioning nibs are available from somewhere? I cant remember which thread was discussing nibs.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    AvalonX likes this.