Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a great price do Best Buy price match Amazon prices? I'm in the UK so it's probably going to be easier for me to buy the N9P and pen from a single source. Not too sure about messing my friend about with multiple orders to save $18?

2. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

I checked out Krita and it doesn't seem to detect the tablet correctly. Pressure doesn't work at all, so tilt probably doesn't work too. I checked Photoshop once again and the tilt control is kind of weird (I never use it on my Cintiq). If you use something like a fan brush, the 3d model seems to show that it's able to detect tilt (as shown by the 3d model but not super accurately). When used as a control for brush tip shape, it seems to sometimes get the warning sign and then it gets reset to pen pressure.

3. fvig2001

I checked out Krita and it doesn't seem to detect the tablet correctly. Pressure doesn't work at all, so tilt probably doesn't work too. I checked Photoshop once again and the tilt control is kind of weird (I never use it on my Cintiq). If you use something like a fan brush, the 3d model seems to show that it's able to detect tilt (as shown by the 3d model but not super accurately. If you tilt to the left, it's not always to the right on the screen but if you just draw flat with no tilt, it's detected correctly). When used as a control for brush tip shape, it seems to sometimes get the warning sign and then it gets reset to pen pressure.

With regards to 4k@60fps, I'm starting to think that they probably used hdmi 1.4 since intel hd 620 and radeon 540 support 4k@60fps natively. The support says it's a limitation of the Intel hd 620, but it's a lie since they said it only supported 4k@24 but it goes up to 4k@30. Based on specs, it's only USB-C 3.0, so no 4k@60fps through usb-c to hdmi either. #Ugh

I'm a bit disappointed with the device as a whole since hdmi 2.0 was standardized last year or 2016. The usb 3.1 was finalized at around 2013. I haven't drawn yet, so maybe it will be its saving grace since at least I'm used to Samsung's fixed pressure settings. Oh well, at least I've seemingly gotten the Radeon 540 to work after a lot of updates on top of the supposed latest update. I've put the review on Amazon so that people will see the short comings since I don't blog/post youtube videos.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  4. mceagle555

mceagle555 Pen Pal - Newbie

The machine will not output 4k@60hz via HDMI or via USB-C adapter. Tested both.

Yes - I was able to get it for $1074.99 + tax by stacking both student coupons. Pulled up each coupon on my phone and had them scan from there. (Easier than printing out and having them scour the terms & conditions.)

Also, just wanted to confirm that you can swap the SSD from SATA3 to PCI NVME. The motherboard will accept the higher speeds. I am using a PM961 and getting 3,200 mb/s

Art_N00b likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, thank-goodness!

That was ridiculous. The N9P is now back on the menu. I thought it simply was not going to happen.

I hope I can get one soon! I'm on a big road trip looking for a new place to live, but when everything settles down, hopefully they'll be available in Canada. (My Tecra M4 has been a super-trooper, though! I've not done much drawing on it; too much basic travel and survival and socializing with the natives, but for checking maps and accommodations and emails... It's been a life-saver. Kinda clunky, though. I could definitely see the value in something lighter and easier to work with. And it's dual monster batteries (one in the modular CD Bay) only last about 1 hour with the WiFi card running! Whoa! I didn't realize old WiFi tech was so electron thirsty! When I'm just using it to draw, I get around 3.5 hours, which is actually pretty good on that old mare.)

Anyway...

Even though I'm pretty much decided on getting one of these Samsungs, I am still very much looking forward to surfaceproartist's review!

6. Shizaru

Thank you for testing Krita. It's seems strange that Krita is having detection issues, I haven't experienced those problems on my machines before. Unfortunately Krita doesn't give much control/feedback about the tablet and pen etc. all you get is a pressure curve adjustment.

I'm assuming that your tests are with the Wacom 6.3.23-1 driver you mentioned earlier? If so maybe the Wacom driver isn't working as expected even though it installed?

On a side note I was reading a thread on Reddit last night about Linux comparability. Apparently the hardware support is pretty good out of the box. Issues included no control of the keyboard backlight, the AMD GPU doesn't get detected when waking from sleep and there's a controlled shutdown issue after a resume. Distros using Wayland/XWayland/GNOME (Ubuntu for example) have issues, which are predicted to get fixed as things progress. Here's a link https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6r4lbx/the_new_samsung_notebook_9_pro_is_close_to_the/

If anyone is into Linux and has a spare ssd it maybe worth a little time checking out? Updating the Bios is problematic under Linux apparently so it's recommended to update Bios before messing with linux.

So far following the reports coming in it looks like:

The ssd can be upgraded to an NVMe (great news)
    4k support doesn't seem to be questionable (not an issue now but future proofing takes a hit)
    Pen/Driver support still seems sketchy (losing the Wacom radial menu and other features sucks) but there are signs that this may have work rounds?
    The USB-C doesn't support thunderbolt (another future proofing niggle)

So far the pen functions in software seems questionable with poor tilt response reported.

The reported issues with Krita are a bit of a deal breaker for me personally. Although I have other programs I'm trying to use Krita as my primary art tool. I also want to support Krita development.

I have yet to see a bad review of the N9P from people that have brought one. Everyone seems to be impressed with the build quality and the screen.

It seems so close and yet I'm not totally convinced and I need to decide pretty soon so I can arrange to have one brought over from the US. Given the price for the specs and features plus positive reviews this shouldn't be a difficult choice. If it didn't work out for me I could probably sell it on without taking too much of a hit given the scarcity over here. Oh and if I bring it in from the US I will have no warranty, which could be a potential problem down the line?

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

@Shizaru for Krita you could try installing the wintab drivers from Microsoft. Krita has never been famous for working well with Windows ink api.

8. Shizaru

I haven't got an N9P yet so I can't try anything. Hopefully one of the helpful folk on here will be willing to attempt that test?

9. fvig2001

@Shizaru, so I installed surface pro 4's wintab driver and pressure works with Krita. I have no idea on how to test tilt there. I am also forcing the installation of the feel drivers and it currently doesn't start the device, strangely, there is another device that apparently detects when the pen is removed from the silo. I'm starting to think that the hack to make the driver work might be deeper than I thought it would be. My theory is that the drivers were made by Wacom and are not listed in the applications. So I might have to find a way to force the applications to think of the n9p as a valid wacom device.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  10. Shizaru

@fvig2001, Thanks for all your efforts it's much appreciated. Good to know that wintab sorted out the pressure. I'm afraid I don't know how to test the tilt in Krita either...hopefully someone can chip in with a cunning plan?

Samsung installs wintab by default on my ATIV do they appear to have dropped wintab on the N9P? That would seem like a strange decision to make given some programs require it.

I read or heard something mentioned about removing the s-pen automatically triggering the Samsung's Air application. Does that mean you have to remove the s-pen to use a second pen or can you use another pen while the original is stowed away? I'm guessing there is no option to disable that rather pointless behaviour?

I had a nasty feeling that it wasn't going to be easy to get a genuine Wacom driver working. Samsung seem to have a habit of frigging about with drivers and Wacom also like to tie things down, so untangling that mess may be a challenge.

What are the pros and cons of using the stock driver when using PSP and Krita etc. - not having button mapping and the radial menus aside?