Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

My unit finally arrived! I'm going to test it out a bit. Hopefully insaniquarium and Osu work (lol).

Tams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. mceagle555

mceagle555 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes they do. You have to do it in store. They don't stack online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone got 4k@60 hz to work with hdmi? Amd's page says it can but it looks like Intel's utility limits it to 30 fps and there's no setting on amd radeon's utility It says no AMD device connected but power options are already set to max performance when plugged and I'm on the latest drivers for all.

So I installed Photoshop on this thing and the tilt doesn't work. It had that warning sign when set and it wouldn't do anything. The strange thing is that once I installed the Wacom driver, I restarted the PC and tilt no longer has that warning sign and it seems to work even with my old M200 stylus.

With regards to offset, I think Lisa kind of exaggerated. There's still offset but it's negligible. like 1 mm different at least when compared to the s-pen that the tablet came with. I checked with my m200, larger s-pen and 2 different s-pens.

If anyone cares, Insaniquarium looks and plays great. Too bad FTL doesn't work well fullscreen with the stylus. The stylus doesn't map well on screen. I tried out ArtRage 4 and I really need a way to disable touch screen on the fly. I'm used to the Android version where palm rejection works. In Windows, there's no way to disable the fingers from drawing. I'll probably write a review on Amazon once I've played with this more since I'm one of the few suckers who had to buy it from there.

Btw, I'm also annoyed with Samsung. They posted the wrong dimensions of the device on the official site and Best Buy. They probably used 2015's model, which was a 15.6 incher. I bought a 15.6 screen protector since it fit the dimensions they gave. It's wrong. It looks like I'd have to throw away the 15.6 tempered glass protector I ordered. #Ugh. The screen is gorgeous though but I fear that I'll scratch it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    thatcomicsguy and Shizaru like this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's cool that you were able to install Wacom's drivers!

What does the M200 stylus barrel button do now? Does it bring up the Samsung side menu, or does it behave like a normal right-click?

Cheers!

5. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for sharing your hands on experience, it's very useful.

If you have some time and the inclination would you mind testing Krita out on your N9P please?

Krita official download https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/

Krita is also available on portableapps.com so you can test it without writing stuff to the windows registry etc. You can install the portable apps platform directly to the hdd or microSD. Here's a link for the platform https://portableapps.com/download the apps can be added using the get more apps option. Here's a list of other graphics apps that may interest you https://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures?

I would be interested to know:
    How well palm rejection performs?
    Does the pen tilt work as expected?
    Does page rotation work with finger gestures?
    Your general impressions of the drawing experience?

WillAdams likes this.
  6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@fvig2001 What did you do to install Wacom drivers? What version did you install?

7. Bread

Bread Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for mentioning this. I was starting to worry that there was no tilt support at all.

Also, I installed Krita. I'll try those aspects Shizaru mentioned when I can, too.
    (I had some issues early on that were solved once I disabled Pen Flicks-- took me a while to find where they put those settings in Windows 10!)

And a question for anyone: What cases have you all been looking at/using?

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Unless things have changed very recently, Krita never had palm rejection nor two finger page rotation.
    The real issue with Krita though has always been the excessive cpu usage even with the simplest brushstroke. Hope they solved this problem in particular because it's a great software.

WillAdams and surfaceproartist like this.
  9. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

You're correct the gesture support is still lacking unfortunately. I have an express key setup on my Companion and rotate using the pen.
    Palm rejection seems to work for me on my Companion 1 and ATIV 700t. I think they disabled some touch features when they released v3.x to prevent unwanted touch interaction.

Krita works okay for me on both of my machines but I tend not to use large canvases, lots of layers or large brushes. I do notice some lag here and there even with small brushes, more so on the ATIV. When I use Krita I don't normally have any other programs running. I agree it's a great bit of software and it keeps getting better with each update. Unfortunately they had issues with the Dutch tax office over a VAT accounting error, which impacted development. Afaik there were touch improvements coming through which were sponsored by a third-party, those changes maybe included in v4.x? They also plan on concentrating on system performance as part of their next dev cycle which is 2018 iirc. What was the last version you tried? The Krita experience is supposed be much better on Linux, but I don't have a tablet pc setup to dual boot to test it.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

@Shizaru probably a beta build before official release of the 3.0.
    They may still don't have rotate with touch, but panning and zooming were incredibly fast even back than in version 2.8-2.9.
    It's probably the one thing I miss the most of Krita and I wonder why the other multi million developers can't achieve something similar.

WillAdams likes this.