Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you want a stylus always available in a silo the compromise is that it needs to be like a golfing pencil. The only alternative is the Toshiba solution that lets you insert the clip in hole, but then you can forget covers and such. Besides it looks a tad odd and trust me, you keep worrying that the clip will break. So far it hasn't, but the worry is irrational so it doesn't go away.
    To me, the best silo solution so far is the S-pen in the 10" Galaxy Note series, they are thicker, using the bezel width to make the pen wider. It is almost like they designed the tablet around the pen rather than make the pen an afterthought.

dstrauss, WillAdams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm curious how much these will weigh, and how they'll be priced compared to say the X1 Yoga. My next laptop will be a yoga-style convertible no matter what, I'm just waiting for the right combination of computing power, pricing, weight, battery life, screen brightness (looking at you, Lenovo..), and docking options. So far my current TP Yoga 12 still rules, but I wouldn't mind losing some of its 3.5 lbs.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like everything about this except for the aspect ratio. Or better yet bring out a windows version of the Chromebook Pro as aforementioned. That has a 12.3" 3:2 display. And I'm fine with full HD(or whatever the 3:2 equiv is) as long as color accuracy, gamut, and contrast are there.

4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Eek... that 15 incher is reaaaaally interesting. Kind of wish it had a quad core in there though. And that it wasn't 16:9. Buuuut.... EMR in a 15 incher? Did somebody call @thatcomicsguy?

Samsung should stop pushing their Air Command function. It's fine an on android, but on Windows, that one button really needs to be right click. Or better yet, let us customize it without depending on Wacom! Two button pens! Best of both worlds!!!!

Ahem.

Yay silo! I rarely use siloed pens, but they're great for when you've done a brainfart and walked off without your usual pen.

WillAdams, JoeS and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Whoa.

That's great news! And it's my Birthday in, like 40 minutes. :D

Samsung, though? Not known for economy pricing. This might have to be a Santa's Wish List kind of item!

Still.., if it all comes together, then suddenly my little fund for the Dell Canvas might find itself redirected!

Honestly, I never, (EVER) thought I'd see the day. I'm at a loss for words. (Except, I guess, for the ones I just wrote above this.)

:D

DRTigerlilly and harrodeleted like this.
  6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HAPPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

7. harrodeleted

harrodeleted Pen Pal - Newbie

good video showing off the notebook 9 with s-pen-

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I can always buy a larger pen for general use. But, when I am out of the office and I need to take a quick note, sign a document or annotate a draft, knowing where I can find the pen is priceless. I can't tell you how often I take a short note with my GN5 because it is in my pocket and the pen is in the silo.

9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Ok, this has been bothering me all day, but two USB 2.0 ports? I mean, yay USB-A ports, but really, 2.0? Not even 3.0?

Also, I was kind of worried that charging would only be done via USB-C (gross), but the video clearly shows an actual power plug, which settles me a bit on the USB issue.

Seriously, I didn't know manufacturers bothered with USB 2.0 anymore.

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAAAAAYYYY!!!! :);)

Are you tempted by the new Yoga 720 15"? It's also 15" and even in dazzling 4K with quad core and dedicated Nvidia GPU!
    Wacom AES though, so maybe not gonna cut it for your comics... I have still yet to give Wacom AES a trial go.

Isn't Samsung fairly affordable in their business laptop sector? --At least compared to new Fujitsu or comparable Lenovo...? I feel like this will be quite competitively priced to the Dell and Lenovo offerings though.

Your Dell Canvas fund is a very different beast from this, being tethered to your PC but 27" of desk space! ...Are you more interested in finding a more mobile solution in the 15" range right now?