Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm concerned about the firmware on the digitizer controller not being recognized as compatible, (if it is in fact unique to this system) but your a gentleman and a scholar for finding out!

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

on 2nd thought can you do a dual boot? so you at least have the option to go back to your functioning install:oops:

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What if you just disabled the Samsung pen driver and made sure the Microsoft one was available to pick up the slack? If that works, it would take away the need for an entire system re-build. Worth trying, anyway, before deploying the nuclear option!

4. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Really wish there was a 4K option. What are the pen options that retain full pressure and tilt?

5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Oh, no worries, I'll be backing up my current install before I do anything. I spent several days slowly setting up my Galaxy Book and I've got it just how I like it (broken sleep notwithstanding). If the fresh install doesn't work out, I'll just restore that.

I'm not sure I have enough space to dual boot on a 64GB hard drive anyway.

See, I think it may be a bit more complicated than that. At one point, pretty early on, I uninstalled Air Command to see what would happen. Well, what happened was that it broke my ability to customize the pen button.

Lol, "customize," if that's what you want to call changing the pen button function to Nothing, Air Command, or Windows Inkspace. So close yet so far.

So I couldn't change the pen button anymore after that. Also, I wouldn't want to uninstall something I couldn't reinstall, and Samsung does not have GB drivers online. Nor would I put it past Samsung to do something inane like uninstall the default Windows pen drivers from their flavor of Windows.

If their Tab S Pro is any indication, there may never be Galaxy Book drivers. They class them as a "tablet," which does not at all negate the fact that they are Windows devices, wtf Samsung.

6. mceagle555

mceagle555 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried swapping the SATA 3 M.2 with an NVME PCIe M.2? Does it work or are we limited to upgrading with the Samsung 850 EVO SATA M.2?

7. mceagle555

Also, for anyone interested in picking up the 15" Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, Best Buy has two coupons you can use to bring the price down to $1074.99 USD. There is a student coupon emailed on 7/2 for $125 off and one emailed on 7/30 for $100 off that stacks for a total of $225 off.

Bread and twospirits like this.
  8. Bread

Bread Pen Pal - Newbie

Would you happen to have more details about this, like the email's Subject line? I just searched through both my registered e-mail and my school e-mail and I didn't find either coupon yet.
    Also, I bought mine about a week ago, so I hope I can retroactively apply at least one of them...

And since I've mentioned it, it's been interesting using it. I was worried about light-bleeding but there really doesn't seem to be any (except maybe at the very corners that you have to squint to really see.) Other than that, not much to say yet that hasn't already been mentioned but I can try to answer any questions I guess. Really hoping to get more customization for the pen via drives and such though!

9. mceagle555

7/2 Email from Best Buy ($125 coupon) - Subject: "20 STUDENT COUPONS you will love!"

7/30 Email from Best Buy ($100 coupon) - Subject: "21 STUDENT COUPONS—Exclusive for you."

10. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

They do not stack.