Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Scooby Photoshop
    Shaggy Brush Pen

entirely uneducated guess

2. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

yep. It's tough to match. I bet the whisps in his hair gave it away. Hopefully it won't stand out too much.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I guess he would have something to say about that :rolleyes::D

Art_N00b and kvoram like this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Only an educated eye would know or care, but there a very smooth, consistent shift in shape at the end of the strokes on Scooby that come to a delicate tail. A typical sign of digital work. The width is often very consistent, and other transitions are often overly smooth. Shaggy does have the drybrush effect, which I love, though you can simulate that with digital tools as well. It's really the very gentle wobbliness in the lines, where the width is a tiny bit more erratic, that makes me presume is hand drawn.

The truth is that digital tools are practically perfect for line work. I have my opinions about other media, but comic work is often perfect on a computer.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

wait-- so you did end up getting it to perform the same as your T904? I'm curious.
    Is your T904 running Windows 10 as well?

I find this topic super interesting, as I have obsessively explored new painting apps to try and find the holy grail...

In friendly defense of Photoshop CC as a painter who has to use it every day...

While I think there are better natural media emulators for painting -mainly in the realm of blending and simulating watercolor-, in my experience Photoshop still is the best for painting a piece from start to finish, especially in large complex paintings... but maybe its mostly just what I'm used to, (alt color pick to blend is second nature to most concept artists), but every time I try to use other software for my job (or for fun) I just keep coming back to PS. Between having hundreds of custom brushes from Kylesbrushes, and a unique ability to use complex selections with many layers and blend modes to simulate any surface or effect, its difficult to find equivalent features elsewhere.

That said, I have shared your frustration with PS in the past when I have simply wanted to emulate paint with a simple nice blending brush like Sai from back in the day... so yea, nothing does it all, but PS has come the closest to it for my needs at the least.

side note: I'm working on a fun personal project at the moment on my new 22HD, putting waaay more time into the painting than I normally have luxury for! I cant wait to share it with the community here when its done. Its just been so nice to work on a HUGE canvas on a powerful workstation with no worries of performance issues holding any feature back for once. eg. I ran liquify on a 5160px layer with virtually no lag!!

6. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

@jbomb, how did you do your OS installation when you upgraded from 256 to 1tb? I might do that once I get the ssd and my device but the official support website doesn't have the drivers or applications (the page is missing when clicked on the support page). I'm thinking of using Double Driver to get the drivers and reinstall on the 1tb ssd. Has anyone written a script to toggle the touchscreen? I'm thinking of using one so that I wouldn't need those art gloves since I feel that Windows palm rejection isn't as good as the one on Android. To be fair, this will be my first Windows based Wacom device with a touchscreen + Wacom. It was usually just wacom emr with no touchscreen (ala Cintiq 22 HD and M200). The palm rejection on my mother's Asus transformer with active stylus was kind of bad. Has the Wacom feel drivers not installing been fixed yet? I really hope it does since I feel that ArtRage 4 would not have working palm rejection if it doesn't detect the drivers.

@stoneseeker, I can relate, I just decided to try out my Cintiq 22 HD (non touch that I've been ignoring since I'm too lazy to get it and set it up) and it's so nice to work with a lot of power. My mother had bought an Asus transformer with a pen in it. I was so jealous when I tried out ArtRage on it. It was a low end PC and it performed so much better than my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. It's what made me buy this laptop since it didn't need batteries on the stylus. The other tablets used AAAA batteries that don't exist in my country.

So apparently, the device uses PWM. . Will you guys still like it?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

For some ways it is. There are features that greatly help the workflow that you can’t find elsewhere.
    And other things it really misses, like line smoothing and a decent brush managing system (but this can be overcome with things like MagicSquire https://anastasiy.com/panels ).
    I’m so used to Clip Studio now that I don’t know if I would get back to Photoshop even if Adobe gave it to me for free.

stoneseeker likes this.
  8. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

Enquired about these new Samsung devices at my local Samsung store here in Melbourne, Australia.

Predictably, the staff member was pretty clueless. He said that the US got these new ones, whereas we got the Galaxy Books. That is, he doesn't think they'll be released here. He obviously hadn't even heard of them before I mentioned them.

These guys just hand business over to Apple.

9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

You could try Affinity Photo. There's a 14 day free trial, so it'll cost you nothing but time (and that's value is up to you).

Eh? It's not straight away obvious, but it is quite easy to see that Shaggy has been done using a traditional brush pen; you can pretty much see the individual bristles. Or rather, Scooby looks too 'clean' to have been done using one. That digital effect is very hard to emulate by hand. A computer could likely emulate the traditional brush pen better than a human could emulate a digital brush, mind.

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

We are oddly saying the exact same thing. I obviously didn't express myself clearly enough. So, not to worry- we are completely agreeing.