Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

I just purchased the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15" to replace my Fujitsu T904. I was excited because I was told that Samsung was wacom EMR. So I also got a 1tb drive to replace the 256 and was good to go. I put photoshop on the Samsung (the real test) . I had noticed lag where I didn't have it on the Fujitsu. This was odd because the SAmsung had 16gb ddr4 ram compared to the 8gb of ddr3. The samsung had a faster processor and even a separate graphics card. I even noticed lag when using a small brush in photoshop. So I wrote support on chat and mentioned this and was surprised. They told me that it's S-pen and NOT Wacom Emr.

I may end up returning it.

2. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

That support person is ignorant. Also, pen technology details are usually beyond them. S Pen is simply a trademark name for branding.

Lag can happen in Photoshop for any number of reasons. I've had it happen suddenly when demoing all sorts of laptops for review-- out of the blue. Even quad core workstations. Often it goes away after a reboot. Check your power plan settings. Make sure that Photoshop is set to use the AMD GPU (though it should run well even without it).

Bronsky and Tams like this.
  3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

It is Wacom EMR technology. That's what the s-pen is, and older EMR stylii work. That said, customer support likely aren't even briefed on what Wacom EMR is, and are likely told it's the "S-pen". Further, Samsung have never mentioned in customer documentation that 'S-pen' is Wacom EMR and with the lack of Wacom drivers, it seems Samsung are determined to use the same technology, but not treat it as the same technology.

4. jbomb

Thanks guys. I was pissed chatting with them. BTW, I'm getting lag just trying to type, so maybe a good old reboot, but maybe something else. Where do I change the preference settings to use the GPU in photoshop

5. jbomb

found it and it was already set to it. so hmmm.

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Your laptop is probably still installing background updates. Besides looking in Windows Update and forcing installation, you should also make sure you're up to date with the Samsung Update and Windows Store updates. Those apps are updated frequently.

Also go into power settings and make sure you're set for High Performance while running Photoshop and plugged in. You probably don't want to run High Performance on battery because it will drain your battery more quickly.

Some Photoshop brushes are just naturally laggy and I try to avoid those.

7. jbomb

Are there any tips or performance tests I can do to share? My other computer is Wacom EMR, and I used the same brush at a large size and I don't get a lag. I know some do lag when large, but it was a basic brush with pen pressure enabled. I don't have Rapid Mode enabled or Over Provisioning.

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The S-Pen is Wacom EMR also. I'm not aware of any other performance tips to share.

If your Notebook 9 Pro and Photoshop project are otherwise exactly the same as on your computer, it's likely some background task that is interfering with performance.

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Try ClipStudio Paint; it's dreamy. -Whereas I had nothing but headaches with Photoshop under Windows 10. That was a year ago, and PS might have updated since then. If so, then it's probably going to come down to going through on-line forums and tinkering endlessly until you find out what is causing the lag issues.

Honestly, these days I only use PS for selection heavy tasks and file re-sizing and type input, areas where it remains the best program in its class. Actual painting and drawing, however, have become a joke in PS. Adobe needs to perform a complete overhaul of their entire brush engine scheme to bring their premier software title up to date and in line with the current stylus technology. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

We have yet to inhabit a world where a single program can be counted upon to do it all.

COGBABY and Sergei like this.
  10. jbomb

I actually own Clip studio. I've been using Photoshop for over 20 years... but I could try it. I may need to learn more on it. I use other Adobe products a lot. But It's worth a shot. I did end up comparing and I ended up getting the same lag, so either I fixed the performance or it was the same all along.

So here's a game. One of the characters is traditional brush pen, the other is photoshop. Which is which.

scoobieshaggie3.jpg

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.