Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

This would be a pretty huge leap forward/change from the NotePro 12.2 (windows OS and waaay more power for starters), was the Tab S3 with S-Pen on your radar as an upgrade, or is the OS a non-factor for you?

2. fvig2001

fvig2001 Pen Pal - Newbie

The S3 is a downgrade in my opinion since the screen is smaller (10 vs 12.2) . The OS isn't really an issue since I only use my Note Pro for drawing, emulators and surfing. It also helps that I have the drawing software that I could use on my PC. I am going to miss the phone part though. I'll probably just repurpose my note pro as a car pc or something. I also kind of want to upgrade due to the slight blemishes on my Note Pro's screen (there are some spots that are brighter. I think my logitech keyboard case didn't protect enough). My hopes for this device is that it would last 3 - 4 years. I'll probably use the Notebook 9 Pro for making music too, which isn't quite available on Android.

stoneseeker and WillAdams like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had a cable technician come by to help out with an installation. He noticed the old Tecra on my drafting board and we got into a conversation about digital arts. -He's into photography and knew his way around a tablet PC -and was right up to date with the latest news about the Samsung notebook. He brought it up, not me, and was excited about the prospect of a computer finally able to do the job.

How's that for market appeal? When random people you meet are hip to the fact that somebody has, after 10 years of frustrating engineering decisions, finally put the available pieces together. -Big screen with the highest end pen tech?

I wonder if the sales figures are going to surprise Samsung..?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Tams, Marty, WillAdams and 1 other person like this.
  4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Really positive first impressions of the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15 so far. Despite having only a dual core processor, the Radeon GPU helps it score very respectably in benchmark tests, actually besting the Yoga 720 in PCMark 10.

Tams, thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  5. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think I ever saw, or heard it mentioned, if there is a way to toggle the overall pressure sensitivity in a Samsung options window. Would you need to do it within each drawing app instead? If so, no big deal, I guess. It seems like, most of the time, I ended up needing to do this anyways in addition to the main, overarching pen pressure setting in a Wacom or VAIO driver window.

I was able to inspect one at Best Buy a moment ago. I don't think I could add anything to what's already been said by Lisa and others. I seriously may pick this up tomorrow and make it my next traveling companion that I'll hopefully use for 2-3 years, short of winning the lottery. I was formerly planning to drop over $3200 for an MSP16 with a flipsteady. Right now the N9P is coming across to me as far more reasonable.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017 at 1:17 PM
  6. surfaceproartist

@neongolden I still prefer the MSP16 drawing experience to the Samsung but that's mostly due to the MSP's etched glass display. I've confirmed that tilt sensing also works with older tablet PC pens on the Notebook 9 Pro, so if you don't like the feel of the too thin S-Pen, there are plenty of older alternatives. It's unlikely those old pens reach 4096 pressure levels, but I defy anyone to show me a meaningful difference.

thatcomicsguy and neongolden like this.
  7. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the thoughts @surfaceproartist Yeah actually I was planning to head straight for the Staedtler Noris (and promptly slide on a nice rubber grip) if I grab the N9P, which I also think is new enough stylus to support tilt.

But is there a universal pen pressure setting to adjust ala Wacom or VAIO? (Again, even if there isn't, I could imagine almost preferring the "simplicity" of just doing it within your choice app.)

8. surfaceproartist

The Noris Digital has a tiny bit more drag on the screen than I like. The retail S-Pen glide is just perfect.

There isn't a universal pressure setting yet. It just showed up when I fired up the Galaxy Book yesterday (inside Samsung Settings) so I'm optimistic that the Notebook will have it soon. The good news is that the tip sensitivity isn't cranked up as high by default as it was on my Galaxy Book so I'm not missing it as much. The over-cranked pressure ruined my first 30-45 days with the Book.

WillAdams and neongolden like this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just to be clear...

Do you mean the old (ancient) Penabled styli work on the N9P? -Without that weird offset which happened with them on the Android Galaxy Note Pro 12.2?

Because... that would be aces!

10. surfaceproartist

That's correct. And it is. I'm liking the way the S-Pen draws (requires a little less force) and glides, but I'm not a huge fan of its flat-ish barrel. I really don't like the stylus version but that will likely remain stored except for emergencies.

Tams, Selofain and thatcomicsguy like this.