Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

@thatcomicsguy You seem to be a big advocate for Clip Studio, so maybe you would be kind enough to help me out.

I'm using the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro with an external display, and keep getting little hitches with the cursor after switching tools. I found a way around this by switching to Wintab, and changing which display is the main one. The problem is when I do this, the cursor is wobbly when drawing slowly.

Just wondering what your preferences setup is for CSP, and if you encountered this issue.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hm. Are you getting wobbles while drawing on the N9P display, or are you using it like a 'blind' tablet with your external monitor and experiencing wobbles there?

I only use the 2-in-1 by itself, so I don't know how it manages multiple screens. I have an entirely different computer driving my desktop drawing board.

Can you describe your setup in a little more detail?

3. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

While drawing on the display. I use my external monitor for reference and things like that.

It's just the N9P with a 23" monitor connected via HDMI. Using "Tablet PC" mode has nice smooth lines, but it has the hitch whenever switching tools. Wintab has the wobbly lines when drawing slowly, especially with light pressure, and drawing circles can have that polygon effect where the line isn't perfectly round.

I have an iPad Pro I can use for off-screen reference so it's not the end of the world. It's just not how I'd like it to be. Ha.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, I don't know about your monitor setup or why it would behave that way. However, I came to the conclusion that the wobbly line and polygon effects are partly Clip Studio's fault.

Paint Tool Sai makes perfect lines. In fact, just in the last couple of days, I have been serioyusly tinkering with SAI2; I reset my license so that the beta SAI 2 would work fully and allow me to save files, and have spent time re-coding my button bar, all exactly because the line quality in SAI doesn't suffer from the same issues as CSP. Somehow, SAI just has a better driver system than CSP.

But I've not done any actual work in SAI2 yet; the lack of touch is annoying and CSP is fine when I'm just penciling, -and isn't that bad when inking.

In your case, I'd probably tinker with video drivers and Windows settings. -I just installed a new monitor as well recently, and it took several tries to get things working correctly. There's still a bit of fickle voodoo involved with monitor settings, and weird things seem to happen until you juggle things just so.

Good luck!

WillAdams likes this.
  5. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know. It doesn't happen on the iPad Pro or the N9P with Windows Ink.

I appreciate your input, though! Your YouTube videos are what persuaded me towards purchasing the N9P, and I really do believe it's the best drawing experience on Windows. Too bad they don't make a 17', or Samsung doesn't release a 20" Wacom EMR display.

thatcomicsguy likes this.