Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's really sad because Toshiba literally invented the modern laptop in the mid-late 80's.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What program are you using for drawing? I never get stray ink marks from my fingers when using CSP or Photoshop, (which I use exclusively). I seem to recall that some of the more painterly programs I've played with worked a bit differently and that I could put down brush strokes with my fingers.

Also...

WOW! You were doing commission work on a Galaxy Tab S3? (Bows in deep respect). I guess being spoiled shortened my patience.

That's really great for you, though! I remember when I started painting back in my student days, I bought the cheapest set of water colors I could find, (about $10 for 12 colors). They were synthetic paints and I didn't realize how inferior they were compared to proper high-quality artist colors, and just hammered through and learned a bunch of skills as a result. When an art store employee convinced me to spend $70 on a proper set of paints, I couldn't believe the difference; it was like unstrapping dumb bells from my arms. I could fly! But those hard-won skills were worth struggling for in the beginning.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You might have to look into the Samsung Galaxy Book2 pen when Samsung & Retailers FINALLY start selling them.

Other than that the HP ZBook x2 pen...though the price is over $100. Can anyone confirm if it uses the soft rubberized nibs a la s-pen?

4. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Clip keeps giving me stray dots from the heel of my hand and the occasional pinch to zoom. I haven't installed any special drivers or anything (fresh out of the box, just got it) and am using the Tablet PC option since checking Wintab gives me no pen pressure. I know some android art apps had the ability to turn off drawing with touch completely and didn't know if I was missing something like that here.

I tend to be sick a lot and the S3 has been light enough to hold and draw in bed and the pen is so good it tends to ruin my desktop set up for me since I have a XP-pen monitor that just doesn't match up. But when I'm well enough to be at the desktop Clip ruins the android apps for me. I ended up wanting something with more functional apps, touch and a pen that doesn't make me annoyed... saw this one on sale open box and thought it would be a good compromise~ still in the breaking in period and really want to banish the few annoyances so I can love it fully.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With my Galaxy Book 10, I really have no palm rejection issues. Sometimes my palm might accidentally trigger a layer change by accidentally registering a touch on the layer toolbar, but it doesn't happen enough to really be an issue. And even then its only when I'm resting my palm on the display and take the pen out of hovering reach.

As for an eraser pen, The Zbook x2 Pen is your best bet. I got it to use with my Galaxy Book 10 and it works perfectly. It uses a slightly older nib style, almost the exact same nibs Wacom puts out for the Mobile Studio Pro and Pro Pen 2 gear. (cut so slightly different that it prevents cross compatibility), so unlike the Samsung Nibs which are like literal toothpicks, the Zbook Pen is much nicer round nib (nicer for me anyway), but it works just as well as any S-pen. Eraser works too.....but I can't seem to determine if its pressurized....the activation force for the eraser is a bit high....but it works far better then the eraser on the Surface Pens. This pen goes for around $100, and I can say it is worth it. The Pen itself is also larger, and very much looks like a Cintiq Pen...in my opinion the Zbook Pen is the king of all S-pens.

The Galaxy Book 2 Pen also does have a built in Eraser on the end....its more roundish than the Cintiq style eraser on the Zbook Pen, but thats at least another option.

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

so yes to soft rubber nibs?

dstrauss likes this.
  7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

You would have to source Samsung nibs to use if you want rubber. The HP Zbook x2 pen comes with hard plastic and hard felt nibs, no rubber.

But yes, I can confirm that the black rubber nibs from my Galaxy Note 4 pen fit perfectly in the Zbook x2 pen.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

Thank you!

9. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Felt? On a non wacom branded pen? Damn I wish I could afford that thing, felt nibs are the one thing I missed terribly about the companion hybrid. But trying to squeak in an extra 100$ when I already dumped 900 onto the device is a bit much for me. They probably never go on sale huh?

Selofain likes this.
  10. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Right?? It was why I was so reluctant to move away from the old school EMR pens. I could never really let go of the hard felt nibs, which are by far my favorite nibs.

You know, I swear the HP Zbook x2 pens were going for about $60-70 originally, but I just checked their price and yikes, they are officially selling for $105!

Also, I could have sworn that the nibs were available separately, but now I can't find them on HP's partsurfer site. Well, now I know to be really careful with my remaining nibs, if I can't replace them!