Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

le yuck
    EDIT: January 7, 2019
    I still can't wrap my head around it SAMSUNG, who has a 5% stake in Wacom, purveyors of Note devices are using AES in their devices...smdh

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't understand why there is so much guessing needed whether its AES or EMR. Not a single "tech" publication thought to ask a Samsung representative what technology it is? It might just be EMR with battery being used for remote type functionality similar to that in the Galaxy Note 9 pen, making this more "pro" than the Notebook 9 pen 2019. I know this is probably just wishful thinking but I hate that these Tech websites were there and still don't know to ask the right questions.

Simo_the_Wolf likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I haven't found a genuine engineer, but the people in the booth are telling people that the pen functionality is "identical" to what's in the note 9 and that all new mobile devices going forward will incorporate that.

They also said something interesting about the sound too. They claim to be the first to take advantage of the cooling system (heat pipes etc.) and double duty it as a resonance chamber. They claim is substantially improves the low end. No way for me to confirm given the noise level of CES.

I can confirm that both the 13 and 15 feel much more premium than last years. The 15's display was really impressive, almost uncomfortably bright.

Marty, twitfri and yodamiked like this.
  4. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Will it be possible to take out the battery from the pen and see if the pen still works on the screen? That way we can confirm that it is EMR and the battery is for remote functionality only ala Note 9.

Steve B likes this.
  5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Again, there’s the notebook 9 Pro and the Notebook 9 Pen, which are not the same model. Seemingly the Pro line comes in grey and has the odd pen with a battery. The 9 Pen should have a Wacom Pen in a silo.

If the model being looked at doesn’t have a silo but has a pen with a battery, then it should be the 9 Pro. Testing the pen without the battery (or with a good ol’ normal Wacom
    Pen like on a phone) should demonstrate if that model is indeed Wacom too.

Alternately, if it has a silo, then it’s the 9 Pen model, and we know what tech that is.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’m finding Samsung use of Pens somewhat confounding. I mean the S-Pen Brand is there’s......and they have no trouble using S-Pens on silo-less devices as evident by the Galaxy Book series. This will now be the 3rd Penabled device they put out in the past few years that didn’t use The S-pen (Tab Pro S and that Spin Tablet).....I cant help but find that a bit alarming. I’ve been predicting for years, that Samsung would eventually jump EMR S-Pen ship for AES or something else......more fuel to that fire I guess.

7. desertlap

Just to clarify, the ones I handled were the 9 pro. Couldn't do too much though. They about had a heart attack just when I picked it up of their stand

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Did you get a chance to ask them about any future plans for AMOLED S-pen devices?

9. desertlap

Sort of. I suspect it's at least part marketing speak but they did say repeatedly that intent to make the same s-pen tech work across all of their higher end devices e.g tab s series, galaxy book series, notebook 9, note phones etc. They didn't get much more specific than that. They did mention without going in to detail that each of those lines was a family of devices and that they would be getting new form factors /models this year

dellaster and Marty like this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I know they probably were too tight-lipped to answer this, but did they hint at if they would be using the same 15" AMOLED panel in the Spectre 15 refresh and Yoga C730 in their own products?

Perhaps maybe even a larger (exclusive) 3:2 OLED panel for a new Galaxy Book or Galaxy convertible? Any indication if they were prioritizing Windows more, or still focusing on Android primarily?

(Sorry to bombard you with questions :p)