Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I've only used OEM pens....Lenovo, Surface (Pro 1), an older Toshiba one and the Z10T pen, the Z10T is my favourite. The Surface Pro 1 pen is supposed to be the same 1024 levels as the Z10T. The others are old 256 levels.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Opening it up to install a new battery, (regardless of who supplied the battery), would almost certainly void the warranty.

I would call Samsung. -Have your info ready and start a repair ticket. It's a pain in the neck, but it's within your service agreement and it's the least expensive way to get things working again.

I have noticed that the N9P with the 8th gen processor seems to have more build quality complaints than the previous one. My 7th gen version has been rock solid so far.

EDIT******

Ah. I didn't update my browser before replying. There were a whole bunch of new posts I didn't see.

My N9P was also purchased and privately imported from the U.S., and I knew that this was going to make warranty actions next to impossible. So I just crossed my fingers and hoped that nothing would be wrong with it. -And which is why I had the machine open within the first couple of days after receiving it.

You can try calling Samsung's HQ; you never know what kind of response you'll be able to get and how it will work out. But I wouldn't get your hopes up, and be ready to do your own DIY fix. Battery replacement is one of the easiest fixes you can perform.

A 3rd party battery sold by a dedicated battery retailer like the one I linked to, (which is also located in the U.K., btw, a bonus for you in terms of shipping), should be fine. (And probably came from the same factory which makes the official Samsung ones.) I personally wouldn't hesitate to use one.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Shizaru likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

For now I'll probably just stick to my current method of simply tightening things up every six months or so, but I might pick up a tube of that stuff at some point just to have it on hand. I can think of a few instances where it would have been useful.

I always wondered what the deal was with the blue coating on some of the screws I'd pull from other machines!

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

To all:
    The problem @overground55 is experiencing with the Samsung pen isn't the pen, it's Photoshop.
    Photoshop can't understand correctly for the life of me the pressure curve of any of the newer pens that came out since the Surface Pro 3, aside from the new Cintiq pen.
    No matter what you use, unless you have a pen that allows you to manually setup the pressure curve the result in Photoshop will be crap.
    That's why I ALWAYS said in my reviews you need to use Lazy Nezumi with Photoshop to have a better and smoother pressure curve with both the Samsung and the Surface pen.

Shizaru and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

Photoshop drove me off using it for any tasks where pressure sense was important long ago. And their touch interface is frustrating and buggy. (It sometimes allows you to pan the canvas around at will, other times it only lets you move it along fixed axes, up/down, left/right.) And things like pinch zoom and rotate come and go with each update. Right now, I can get pinch zoom to work, but rotate only works with the mouse. It's really bad.

When I use Clip Studio Paint, all of that stuff is seamless and perfectly intuitive, with excellent palm rejection, etc.

It amazes me that Adobe doesn't prioritize fixing their touch GUI, especially given their recent push into the tablet space. That initiative is going to fall flat unless they get their user control issues taken care of. It's arguably the most important element of their software; the tools used to manipulate data within the program need to actually work as expected and keep up with GUI evolution. I mean, so what if your software does wonderful math transformations which are better than anybody else's in the industry? -If you need to do them through a command line interface, then your software is going to get dumped. And honestly, not having a perfectly tune touch and pen GUI when users can just hop over to some other piece of software is not that far off from haughtily telling users to just use a command line.

Their pen input seems to have not improved at all since I walked away from it several years ago. It's okay-ish for air-brush style painting and drawing, but the problems really stand out when you go with hard-edged line tools. Pressure is still spotty and line fall-off still results in a chunky pressure gradient. They've got some sort of smoothing algorithm now available, but it's confusing and doesn't seem to work.

I think part of the problem is that way back when screen rotation was being added across the board to paint programs, Adobe decided to embrace GPUs to provide those sorts of features rather than just making them a part of the regular Intel Processor task list. That probably made sense at the time, (it was well over ten years ago, and CPU speeds were still slow enough to create hiccups when real time effects were desired, so it made sense to outsource these new kinds of computations to other chipsets designed specifically for quick graphics responses.).

The problem is that this resulted in wildly differing experiences for users depending on their particular hardware and the age of the GPU in their machine, an issue which plagues Adobe to this day. There are countless flavors of GPU out there, and standards are sketchy at best exactly because improvements are leveraging experimental approaches to graphics manipulation. -And when people complain about how crappy Photoshop is, the Adobe help gurus and forum admins get frustrated and say it's not their fault and tell you to take it up with whoever supplied your graphics card. -Which while a fair assessment on a certain level, doesn't address the core problem, (Photoshop isn't working!), and only raises ire among users.

Clip Studio Paint is where it's at. It can make your stylus and touch screen sing!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  6. Azzart

That's strange, I'm not a particular Photoshop fan but if there's something that's always been ok it is the touch gestures navigation on the pc version. At least since version CC2014.
    No love for Mac from Adobe instead as of today.

Although I totally agree with your last sentence. :D

7. thatcomicsguy

I'm up to date with the latest CC, and it's touch function is a total clown show on my N9P.

Touch is one of those things which needs to JUST WORK, (like a mouse).

I mean, there need to be options which allow for personal taste, button assignments and pressure curves and whatnot, but when you have to mess around just to achieve basic functionality, there's a problem.

8. Azzart

Don't want to sound like a jerk, but I'm pretty certain if there's any problem with touch gestures in Photoshop, I would consider looking for some problem within your computer rather than Photoshop. At least for this.

I know for instance that in the very latest update adobe had to deal with a windows update that completely broke the touch features of it running on the Galaxy Book.
    Since your windows isn't updated such a patch might affect the way Photoshop works on your pc. Who knows.

9. thatcomicsguy

It may be a result of my sticking with an older Win 10 build. Touch in PS is buggy on both my portable and desktop, and both use the same Windows build.

But honestly.., that just highlights an example of what I was talking about earlier, where Adobe mods and support staff blame everything other than their own software for problems. Meanwhile CSP works brilliantly across every machine and Windows build.

They can pass the buck all they like. In the end, I'm just one of many poised to cancel my PS subscription the instant it becomes convenient. -Rather than singing the praises of Adobe which I would happily do if they cleaned their room.

Tams likes this.
  10. overground55

overground55 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I have an update from using this pen, and want to see if you can adjust this sort of thing. The edge detection doesn't work on this pen as I am using it now. Here is an image to show what I mean. Is this something that can be corrected in the settings somewhere in Windows 10?

Attached Files: