Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. XavierX

XavierX Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, that sounds good. But still need to figure a way out to send it back to the states. Samsung UK has no idea how to go about it, and Samsung US won't cooperate until I have the machine on American soil. I've got no one that I know that lives there or someone that's going there. Even if someone was, you can't expect them to get the laptop to Samsung and then keep following up with them about it's status. And sometime it takes months for companies to fix your machine (Lenovo I'm looking at you!). This is definitely why everyone told me to just buy something that had support within the British Islands.

2. XavierX

XavierX Pen Pal - Newbie

And, in comparison to the UK, buying consumer products from the US is way more cheaper.

3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately there aren't many options open to anyone that wants a Wacom EMR enabled machine with a decent screen size, and certainly not for the price. Importing a unique product always carries a risk.

Given that your machine has a manufactures fault with the battery you could try contacting Samsung HQ in South Korea, and express your concern for the safety issues relating to the battery. Explain that you can't ship the unit internationally with the battery in an unstable condition, and ask them to arrange a repair in the country that you're in. Also ask them what precautions you should take, and inform them that you presume Samsung holds all liability, in the event of harm or injury to persons or property should an incident arise due to the battery fault. I don't know how the warranty process work in the US, maybe Best Buy are liable for the first 12 months warranty? In which case you could try going via them?

4. XavierX

XavierX Pen Pal - Newbie

That's sounds like an impeccable plan. But, best buy is only liable for repairs and returns for the first 14 days of the purchase. After that, it's Samsung's problem.
    Secondly, I have no idea how to contact Samsung HQ; I'm extremely bad at this stuff.
    If anyone has any idea how, all sorts of information is extremely appreciated.
    P.S. I'm so thankful to both thecomicsguy, and especially Shizaru, on helping me navigate this issue.

5. Shizaru

You could try calling them and asking for the direct email address for Samsung Customer Services Korea/International.

You will probably need to translate the pages https://www.samsung.com/sec/. See if this works G-Translate.

6. overground55

overground55 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I have tried it out a bit, and can you give you some feedback. I attached a line test in photoshop using the same brush with both pens I currently have.

One thing that confuses me is that the S pen that comes with the N9P is supposed to have 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity, whatever that actually means, while this new pen only has 1,024. Despite this, the Toshiba has much more range than the S Pen. As you can see in the image, the Toshiba can draw more narrow lines with the same brush, and it has smoother transitions from narrow to thick, whereas
    the S Pen almost looks like a bunch of cattails in the way it jumps from a thin line to a thick line in my vertical strokes.
    What are your thoughts on this?
    Why am I getting more range in this $6 pen than I am in my dedicated S Pen?

Attached Files:

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'm not sure if Toshiba's specs of the pen are accurate and believe it to be of the later Wacom tech, I don't do art work, but I've always loved writing with that pen. It is perfection.
    The price is only that low because Toshiba has seemingly dumped their wacom stock, they no longer sell any wacom devices AFAIK.

8. overground55

Wouldn't they know the pressure level of their own product? Even if they were off a few thousand levels, I would expect it to at least be on par with the S Pen that is designed for the N9P, not better than it, at least in these particular ways.
    DRTigerlilly, Have you tried any other pens besides the two aforementioned? How have they compared to the Toshiba?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  9. Shizaru

@overground55 what you're describing is the result of the lower resolution of the Toshiba pen against the current Gen S-pen imho.

The Toshiba isn't able to respond to the small changes in pressure resulting in a smoother line...kind of how stabilisation works in software. You could adjust the curve for the S-pen and get different responses and achieve a similar experience I would think. For example if you're heavy handed on the start of a stroke you could adjust the curve to reduce the effect, the same for the mid point etc.

In audio 16bit can appear to be smoother than 32bit because it has less information in the stream. Which is why digital audio sounds harsh compared to an analogue system...to many people (of a certain age) the warmth of analogue is superior to digital. I'm talking about high end analogue.

It's also very hard to distinguish the differences in pressure sensitivity beyond a certain point 1024 is a sweet spot imho. The hardware ans software may be capable of distinguishing the different points but to the human senses it's extremely difficult to feel and control.

At the end of the day it's how it feels to you that matters if you're getting the results you want.

Glad it worked out for you and for that price it was worth a gamble.

How are you finding the offset and edge detection with the new pen compared to the S-pen?

10. overground55

Thanks for the feedback. I think what your saying makes sense. I'd be interested in looking further into adjusting the curve on the s pen to see how it changes things, although the inclusion of an eraser on the toshiba pen is another really nice addition lacking in the s pen.

As far as the offset goes, it's pretty good out of the box, and with edge detection, I haven't taken notice of yet. I think it's fine, although I'll test it out compared to the s pen as well and let you know if it's drastically different.

Shizaru likes this.