Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for confirming it's EMR. It's the old gen with 1024 pressure so it should work with the N9P, but in my experience the old pens need recalibration, and they aren't as accurate as the new pens unfortunately. For $6 it would do to get you out of trouble.

2. Shizaru

Batteries are a major point of failure so that is the most likely problem. It only takes one cell to fail and the battery wont work. I wouldn't worry about the charging circuit until you know for sure what condition the battery is in.

The batteries in the N9P are Li-ion with a soft casing and it's very common for those types of cells to expand. Imho if there is any suspicion that the battery is faulty it needs to be removed as there maybe a risk of damage to internal components and also a risk of fire. I wouldn't ignore or put off removing it any longer than necessary.

An external visual inspection may help determine if the battery has failed. The battery is positioned from around the one row back from the spacebar and towards the front passing below the touchpad, and spans most of the width of the machine. If you place the machine on a flat surface and then observe it from the front and sides at eye level you may see signs of deformation, if the battery has expanded enough to cause pressure. For example the region around the keyboard and spacebar maybe raise, and the lip around touchpad may not be even all around. If the under side is effected the machine will not sit flat on the surface especially the feet either side on the front edge. Both feet should be in contact with the surface. You could place a straight edge across the keyboard and touchpad to see if there is any noticeable distortion.

If you don't see any visible signs it doesn't mean there isn't a problem with the battery. It just means it hasn't expanded to any great degree. The battery could be faulty and not expand at all.

It should be possible to obtain a replacement battery from someone in the US, maybe even Samsung directly if you contact them.

I haven't had problems with my machine and I haven't noticed any major complaints about hardware issues on forums etc. either. What other problems have you been having with your machine?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Shizaru

@XavierX

Earlier I forgot to say that you need to make sure that the S-Pen is removed before you remove the base plate.

Here's a picture of the internals. You should be able to see the locations of the clips if you zoom in on the edges.

[​IMG]

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've had mine open, (to upgrade the SSD and also just to have a look around), and I can confirm that it's one of the easier machines to service.

You just have to make sure you have one of those sets of small Philips screw drivers, and be careful when you lift the back off; lift it up toward the hinges and gently wiggle it free, as it catches there. You don't want to bend it. But otherwise, it's a robust and easily accessed computer, unlike some of the villainous puzzle boxes I've fought with in the past, (lookin' at you HP!).

It's not on the level of the Dell Latitude in terms of "Designed to be Serviced" where the hard drive can be pulled and replaced independently, without even having to remove the back panel. (Wow! Genius!) But this Samsung is definitely one of the easier machines to open.

I found this site in the UK which can provide battery replacements for US $72.00 (Plus shipping):

https://www.laptop-battery-shop.com/samsung-aapbtn4lr-154v-3530mah-original-batteries-p-6190.html

I'm glad to see this, as I was unable to locate a replacement supplier when I first bought my machine. $100 isn't bad when it comes to replacing a battery. After one year of regular use, mine still holds a respectable charge, so I don't see my needing to replace it very often. Maybe only once or twice before I start thinking about new machines. I'd like at minimum to get 3 years of use out of my machine, but I'm hoping for more like 5-7 years.

Hopefully somebody will have come up with a worthy replacement when mine finally starts to break down due to age! (The way the tablet industry works, it's a bit of a crap shoot. I sure hope Wacom is still around in 2025!) At the moment, one year in, this Samsung is barely showing any signs of regular use whatsoever, other than scuffed plastic feet and some dust and grime in the seams. Otherwise, it looks fresh!

That's pretty amazing, all things considered.

Oh. I did last night have to tighten the screws around the bottom edge. They had become loose and resulted in some creaking and flex. That's the second time I've had to do this. Screws work themselves loose when you are regularly using any machine.

Everybody should own a set of tiny tech screw drivers.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Shizaru likes this.
  5. XavierX

XavierX Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay so I wasn't expecting such an overwhelming response and thank you the comicsguy for finding me a new battery. They cost $220 on Samsung's official parts site, which feels like a total rip off.
    Secondly I did put my laptop on a flat surface, and what do you know, it's not sitting flush! Don't know how I missed that. It's the 3rd day I haven't used it, had to resort to using my MacBook which I thoroughly hate. But I'm still scared of opening the machine up. Might just take it to a computer repair shop and have them rip out the battery for me.

6. Shizaru

I wouldn't put off removing that battery for too long because it could cause more damage if it leaks or worse. Not trying to be a fear monger but it's something that's easy to take preventative action against.

At least you know the battery is the issue and should be easy enough to repair. You can also keep using the machine once the battery is removed.

Is your machine an early Intel Gen 7 or the newer Gen 8?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  7. XavierX

XavierX Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got the gen 8 one. I held out on getting one just so I could get the 8th gen one- the 4 cores are so much better at rendering and stuff. But I'm worried that the problem might be more widespread than just the battery. Sometimes, my wifi just stops out of nowhere and my touchpad goes all bonkers. I've had trouble with the laptop eating through it's battery overnight even when it's asleep; sometimes even when it's off. It had horrendous backlight bleeding from day one (which doesn't have anything to do with the motherboard).
    I've still got 2 months of warranty left. I just hope me opening up the machine and taking out the battery doesn't prevent me from having it repaired IF the opportunity arises.
    P.S. I haven't used the machine, nor tried to charge it neither have I tried to open it up yet. I forced my parents into buying me one even though I already had a fairly powerful laptop to begin with and this one wouldn't even be used in uni- totally macintosh environment for some reason. So, this thing going to ****e is going to make them go berserk (my dad's asian FYI).

8. XavierX

XavierX Pen Pal - Newbie

And, I did some digging around on the website you recommended, and they are definitely 3rd party suppliers. I don't want to risk putting a 3rd party battery in my laptop. I know I sound childish and immature, but this machine is quite expensive.

9. Shizaru

If you intend to get it repaired under warranty then you will need to leave the battery in the machine.

I have a Gen8 and I haven't had any of the issues you mention the wifi never drops out, no bleed on the screen apart from at startup with a dark background and the battery doesn't mysteriously drain, although my machine runs on AC most of the time.

Given the issues you're having combined with the battery fault it would probably be best to get it sent back under warranty asap.

10. Shizaru

@thatcomicsguy if you want to stop the screws coming loose then you need to use Loctite 242 (Blue fluid in a red bottle/tube) medium strength threadlock, or some off brand equivalent. Genuine Loctite can be expensive depending on the source. A bottle will last you years...you only need a tiny amount on each screw.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm 243 should also be okay not sure what the difference is? Try and get it in a bottle rather than a tube because it's easier to use and probably will last longer.

Amazon CA

Whatever you do do not be tempted to try Loctite RED because you could have real problems removing small screws secured with it!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    DRTigerlilly likes this.