Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all, chiming in to say that Ebay has a 15% off a $25+ order with a $100 cap. So on top of the Bestbuy $200 sale on the high end 15 inch model, you can get another $100 off if you buy through the Best Buy Ebay store. From writing this, the flash sale only lasts another hour (ends 6 PM ET)

I got an open box, Geek Squad certified one for $940 ($876 originally but sales tax bumped it up). It's the updated 8th gen i7 quad core one too. Even if I didn't draw, this is a pretty great deal on these specs.

2. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone use the N9P with an Intuos Pro tablet in Photoshop?

I ask because can't get the Intuos Pro to work with the PSUserConfig hack. I can only get it to work with Windows Ink on, which I wouldn't mind if it didn't "stick" while scrolling sliders. The S Pen works both ways so long as the N9P is set as the main display.

3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Anyone know if these guys are ready for a refresh in 2018/2019?

4. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

So I own the staedtler noris stylus and I replaced it with a note 8 tip. It broke and now I can't get it out. Any idea on how to remove the broken tip? Hopefully the Smardi won't have this issue once I replace it with a note 8 tip.

5. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

You could try drilling down into the tip with a < 1mm drill bit, and then insert a pin with a thin coat of thin Cyanoacrylate glue and optional accelerator, which should allow you to get enough purchase to pull out the broken tip. Alternatively you could try drilling a hole and then use a heated pin but I doubt that would be as effective as the glue. It would probably be best to use a pin drill. If you can find a small enough bolt (an old laptop may provide you with one) that would probably work, provided it's small enough and doesn't cause the material to expand as it's screwed in.

fvig2001 likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That sounds annoying.

I'd try pushing in a super-fine pin (using a pair of pliers if you can't get enough of a grip) and once harpooned, try to pull out the broken nib that way.

You can get selections of fine pins and needles at sewing shops or dollar stores.

fvig2001 and WillAdams like this.
  7. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

With the new BF2018 sales coming up would you guys say the Notebook 9 Pro 15 w/ 8th gen CPU's to be a good buy? I never got around to buying mine earlier this year and heard @thatcomicsguy got his for sub $1000 during BF2017

8. overground55

overground55 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey folks,
    I had reached out to thatcomicsguy for a few questions I had, and he thought I ought to share these tidbits with the community, and I agree. Here was the discussion:

------
    we had a discussion in a previous thread regarding the Notebook 9 Pro and whether it would work as a tablet with a a Macbook Pro. We came to the conclusion that it would not. However, I am still interesting in keeping the N9P, HOWEVER you have mentioned before that this is a great 'companion' device, as Wacom would call it. Does that mean it isn't very well suited to be my main workhorse? To give you some context, In about a month, I expect to be taking on a client who wishes me to illustrate a series of children's books, something which I have not done before. I want to set myself up for success by having the best setup to do the job.
    • Do you think this computer can get the job done, and get it done well? Why or why not?
    • What would I need to add to my environment, or my setup to be more effective?
    • Do you think I'm barking up the wrong tree by taking on a big project like this solely with my Notebook 9 Pro?
    ~overground55
    ------

I think we're in the land of diminishing returns at this point; spoiled, that is!
    Any modern Windows device with enough screen real estate is capable of getting through any straight forward illustration job. I was drawing and publishing whole graphic novels on machines which weren't as powerful as the average modern pocket phone, so really deciding which is the best machine comes down to personal taste.
    I could do a whole book on the Samsung, for sure. There's lots of memory and lots of CPU muscle. The screen is a tad small/narrow for a main desktop IMHO, but I've worked on smaller screens effectively. By the end of your project, whatever device you go with, you will likely be able to do backflips and wonders with it. At some point it's about the guitarist and not the guitar.
    The Samsung is an excellent instrument. It has its quirks as any machine will, but once you learn how to use it, it won't hold you back.
    I'd probably pick up a desktop Cintiq or clone just to round things out. Even just a used eBay Cintiq 21UX would be fine (and affordable), but it's not essential. Just really nice.

~thatcomicsguy
    ------

Thanks for the reply.
    How would you incorporate the 21ux into your workflow? Would it replace the notebook as your main means of illustration? Would the n9p become an external monitor basically if I were to get the cintiq off ebay? I'm just trying to make sense of what I'd do with two tablets in my possession.
    Also, other than the smardi, what pens do you use? I'm not keen on the fountain pen look.
    How would a pen like this for eight bucks differ from the smardi other than aesthetics?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Di...0t-Z15t-and-Excite-PA5133U-1EUC-/253386095597

~overground55
    ------

The desktop Cintiq is a fixed item, set at the perfect angle with the perfect chair, and it's big. So you have a standard full-sized view, which offers advantages when doing graphics. When using a portable, you find yourself looking at things from a constantly shifting perspective and tactile arrangement, depending how where and how you're sitting.
    This has a definite effect on my process, and mistakes (relative scale and proportion errors creep in.)
    When I've only had a portable, I've not used it as a portable; rather I've assigned a fixed space for it on a drafting board so as to achieve that standard viewing profile. I find I need a "ground zero" psychological reference point when working on things.
    Portability is great, but I make that a secondary concern. -Which, now that I think about it, is a reversal on the thoughts in my previous post.

~thatcomicsguy
    ------

From this discussion, I am still curious about:

1. what are your thoughts on that $8 pen on ebay? Think it will get the job done just as well as if I had purchased a Tab s3 s pen? Those are the two that interest me the most at this point in time.
    2. When you said that you have a fixed space on a drafting board for a portable like the N9P, are you doing much/any illustration on it, or do you end up doing most of your illustration on the cintiq when you're at home? You had recommended I look into a cintiq 21ux, but I still don't have a good sense in my mind where it will fit into my workflow. I think I'm confused because I don't have a good sense of what a psychological reference point would look like in practical terms when you are putting in your 'x' hours that day on your illustration work to meet a deadline.
    Thanks again for the help y'all give as a community. This is making my transition from mac to PC alot easier!

9. XavierX

XavierX Pen Pal - Newbie

I know I won't get a definite response but I hope I get something. About a week ago, my 8th gen NP9 pro died and wouldn't charge. It kept saying "plugged in, charging" but wouldn't budge from 0%. If you took the charger out, it died. So after being connected for over 15 hours, it started charging and I began using it as normal. Yesterday, it died again and this time, it wouldn't charge at all. It said "plugged in, not charging" and the light indicator kept blinking both red and green. So I just gave up and shut down the system. I plugged it in today and it booted up fine and said "100%, plugged in, not charging". I was baffled and unplugged it and it died back down.
    I don't know what to do. I had it imported from the US ( I don't live there). If any of you know anything, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ps, yes I contacted Samsung; they were no help.

10. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

If I were you I would open up the machine and take a look at the battery to see if any of the cells have expanded. If the battery is faulty I guess you would need to purchase a replacement from the US or South Korea.

If the battery looks okay then you could try the USB-C port as it may have a different charging circuit? As the AC and USB-C are together they most likely share the same circuit though.

My guess is that the battery has developed a fault. If it expands inside the machine it will put stress on components, keyboard and casing so take it out and dispose of it safely. Don't keep the faulty battery in your house or anywhere that could be at risk of fire. The N9P will work fine on AC only so you can carry on using it all be it tethered to AC power.

WillAdams likes this.