Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

@wandrinsheep , glad it was of interest. I would also be interested to hear how you get on. I think you should see an improvement with programs like CSP. Those random stalls should be much less of an issue once you remove the fight for resources on CPU 0.

This should also be of use on N9P Gen 7 devices even though it has less cores the same problem is present on CPU 0. There maybe some trade off in overall compute power, but it may not be too bad if the program doesn't have to wait for CPU 0 when background system tasks etc. start hogging resources. If someone with an original N9P Gen 7 is up for trying it it would be interesting to hear how it works out?

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've experienced nothing by way of memory issues on my Gen 7, and I've learned the hard way too many times to count, "Don't Fix What Ain't Broke!"

My last mistake was updating the BIOS. The newest version didn't make any improvement that I could detect, while removing a bunch of settings I'd sure like access to now. (I basically bricked my webcam. -I turned it off in BIOS shortly after purchase, and now the option to turn it back on is gone. Yay. -Though the upside is that I now own a cool external webcam by Zoom, so I'm not stuck lugging around a whole computer when I want to do podcast stuff.)

In any case, I'm not letting Samsung into my computer's brain ever again if I can help it!

3. Shizaru

@thatcomicsguy , part of the issue is down to remedial actions taken with respect to the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities and the way Level 1 Cache is managed, which causes slower performance. Shifting a program to an alternative core reduces the instances where the L1C gets flushed. CPU 0 is used pretty much by everything running on the system which leads to logjams on that CPU. It's not a silver bullet but it can be a benefit in a number of cases.

I thought I had a copy of the older Bios for the N9P Gen7 but I'm having trouble finding where I stashed it. I have a nasty feeling it may have been on a USB thumb drive which has since been re-purposed? I will dig through my storage a little deeper if I get a chance later, just in case I backed it up.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Shizaru

@thatcomicsguy , I have tried to hunt down that Bios files but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I didn't download it? I also tried a few searches on the web but drew a blank there as well.

One thing you could try would be to download a different system file using the updater and then try monitoring your network traffic to identify the URL, if you use wireshark you could track it down that way. You can download wireshark here there's a portable version if you don't want to do a full installation.

If you're lucky you maybe able to use that information to figure out what the URL maybe for the Bios file you need.

Have you tried contacting Samsung support to see if they can give you the file?

______ other stuff ______

On Samsung UK Support there is this notice re. the Intel vulnerabilities.

The UPDATED DPTF update seems to keep the system a little cooler when under load, but not as well as using UnderVoltage...I have started using ThrottleStop again.

If you start experiencing trackpad issues such as no right/left click that could be a sign that one or more of the battery cells has started to expand. The battery will jam up the track pad and cause strange pointer and click behaviour. If that happens it's probably best return the unit pdq, alternatively remove the battery asap. The machine will still operate using the PSU even when the battery isn't present. Personally I would remove the battery right away to avoid any risk of causing further damage to the machine, or worse case there could be a risk of fire. Place the battery in a fireproof container and place it outside the house.

5. Shizaru

If you are dissatisfied with speaker performance which lets face it is probably most of us there are some settings that you can experiment with using the Realtek software.

Right click on the Volume icon in the system tray > Open Volume Mixer > Double Click on the Speaker Icon under Device.

In the Speaker Properties dialog select the Sound Alive tab.

Enable SoundAlive by checking the check box.
    In the drop down menu select User.
    At the very bottom of the options activate the Auto Volume.

Lastly adjust the graphic equaliser to suite your taste. Try to avoid increasing the gain on the bands - use a reduction method to boost the freelances in the range you want to boost. What you're trying to achieve is increasing audio perception without reducing the headroom of the audio chain which will have a negative impact, often resulting in distortion/clipping.

Here is a basic starting position that may help explain using reduction curve of the upper mids and highs, in order to increase the presence of the lower mids and bass, without causing a loss in available headroom and dynamic range.

[​IMG]

To generate bass requires more power from the amplifier circuit which in turn increases the risk of distortion etc. You can test the theory yourself by inverting the eq curve, leaving the highs at 0 and boost the bass frequencies.

Once you have set the eq to something that is comfortable to your ear you can simply use the master volume control as per usual.

You may also want to create alternative eq values for different audio material such as Movies, Music and Speech. There are three user slots which you can use to achieve different settings to match content your listening to.

With a bit of trial and error you should be able to improve the audio experience without too much messing about.

If you give this a go I would be interested to know if it has a positive effect on your audio experience?

Art_N00b likes this.
  6. GunplaCyril

GunplaCyril Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice, I'm going to give that a try. Have you tried using your notebook 9 pro with the hd60s as the only monitor for your pc? I'm trying to see if I can use my notebook 9 pro laptop as a dedicated single display for my portable itx pc.

Also, do you mind sharing the specific anker usb-c hub you used?

7. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't use it for recording though but displaying the input only on the N9P. It was okay for gameplay. The hubs I tested were:

Sabrent 3.0 Hub - https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Prem...8&qid=1537744451&sr=1-28&keywords=usb+3.0+hub - I was getting like ~40 fps on my PS4

Anker USB-C Hub - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D0XTF9U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - I was getting 60 fps with no drops ... at least for the brief amount I tested it. I was supposed to test it more when I went abroad for a few months but got lazy since my HD60s setup was a pain in the ass and I didn't feel like bringing a console.

My 2nd N9P arrived. Annoyingly, the original owner scratched up the body a bit and the upper part of the case on the inside chipped off. Part of me wants to put sugru on it. I hope it can easily replace my Galaxy Note Pro 12.1

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  8. fvig2001

If you are crazy about 4k@60 hz via HDMI, there's a way to do that with this device. Just get a USB-C to DP cable -> Female DP to DP Female ->Active DP to HDMI 2.0.

https://imgur.com/8muQzH6

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've more or less given up on finding a BIOS rollback. -The primary reason I needed it was to turn the webcam back on for making YouTube channel content.

I've found far superior methods for doing that, (external and far better cameras designed for that kind of job), so the need has vanished.

I've actually found the web address where Samsung devices all point to for auto-downloads of all drivers. All I'd need is the file name of the previous BIOS release, and I could download it right now, except nobody has that information. It seems like a trivial detail until you realize that it's just.., nowhere!

Ah well. Like I said, it's no longer particularly necessary. But if it did become possible, I wouldn't say no!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  10. fvig2001

PSA. Amazon is selling 400 GB SD cards for $99 (from ~$140)and 256 GB cards for $51. Get it while it's there.

wandrinsheep and thatcomicsguy like this.