Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you! I actually own LN, but forgot it did this. Excellent.

I'm really enjoying the pen experience on this laptop. It feels so nice and buttery to draw and paint with.

Art_N00b likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hey, does anybody have a copy of the old BIOS for the N9P 15?

The new one doesn't allow the user to switch the webcam on/off. I need to be able to turn my webcam back on.

Thanks in advance!

3. thatcomicsguy

Actually... I think I've found out how to roll back to an older BIOS, but it's a complicated game.

The first step is knowing which BIOS version came with my machine originally. Right now, when I open BIOS (hitting F2 when powering on), I am told that my current BIOS version is "P04AGF".

If anybody has NOT updated since getting their machine, can you take a quick look and tell me which BIOS you are running? Thanks!

4. thatcomicsguy

Well... A little hunting around has revealed this page:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/samsung-laptops-roll-back-bios-updates.696197/

-Offering a way to download old versions of Samsung device BIOS.

Except it doesn't work, because it requires that you know the precise file name of the BIOS version you want. If you know that, it's easy to download; Samsung's update server handily dishes out whatever file you want so long as you know which file it is you're after. Except the actual file names of all the past BIOS files are kept on a master list which nobody has. So... it's like looking for a book in a library with millions of books but you don't know the title. Only that it has a blue cover with some words on it and maybe a picture of a kite or a fish or something.

So... On the offchance that somebody around here knows...

I'm looking for BIOS version "P03AGF", and if I can find its full file name that would be awesome. For instance, the latest version is called,

"ITEM_20170830_21725_WIN_P04AGF.exe"

So.., the previous one will look something like that, but with a different publication date.

If you happen to come across that... Let me know.

Oh, the download site is here:

http://sbuservice.samsungmobile.com/upload/BIOSUpdateItem/

Just add the file name to the end of that address, and you can download the file you're after. Try it out with the current BIOS yourself:
    http://sbuservice.samsungmobile.com/upload/BIOSUpdateItem/ITEM_20170830_21725_WIN_P04AGF.exe

Actually... Given how things go around here, if you're running a Notebook 9 Pro, you might want to grab a copy of that BIOS now before Samsung goes and changes it into a frog or a pumpkin.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Can't you do a search for *WIN_P03AGF.exe and find it that way?

6. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

@thatcomicsguy - Someone presumably uploaded the P03AGF BIOS at the page below, but I would be super scared of some third party BIOS upload: could easily be malware of any kind. BUT maybe inside that .zip is the correct file name which is why I share the link:

https://bioshelp.com/showthread.php?tid=52930

I didn't check myself as it looks you might have to register to download files and I don't need to bother.

I recorded my BIOS info on 2017-09-03. Though I don't think this helps you as you seem to already know what you need, here it is for reference:
    > wmic bios get biosversion
    BIOSVersion
    {"SECCSD - 1072009", "P03AGF.047.170619.PS", "American Megatrends - 5000C"}
    SECCSD - 1072009
    P03AGF.047.170619.PS
    American Megatrends - 5000C

I did some googling and also searched my drive for *agf.exe, but got nada. Good luck.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

Just out of curiosity...

When you go into your BIOS, does it give you an option to turn the camera on/off?

If it doesn't then I'm chasing a wild goose in any case.

I also found that third party BIOS download page, and had the same misgivings as you. -Plus they charge per download, so I walked away.

8. Art_N00b

I see nothing about the camera in the BIOS. I'm currently running P04AGF.

I turn my camera off through Windows:

Device Manager > Imaging devices > Chicony USB 2.0 Camera > context menu > Disable
    Device Manager > System Devices > Microsoft Camera Front > context menu > Disable

But I have also seen it turned back on by The Devil aka Windows Update.

9. thatcomicsguy

Yeah. I'm also running P04AGF, and there's no camera control in there. -But I do seem to recall turning it off from BIOS with the previous version.

Once in Windows, there's not much to be cone. My Device Manager lists the driver, but tells me the device itself is not connected and returns an error. It's a software switch somewhere which I have no way to interact with.

Ah well. I might just have to get an external webcam. It just seems like a waste when there's a perfectly good one attached to my computer.

So..., the TL;DR...

Samsung bricked my camera by dumbing down their software. Another lesson in NEVER applying updates unless you know exactly what you are hoping to achieve. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

ConfusedStylus likes this.
  10. Art_N00b

Will Samsung support give you the file name or url for the P03AGF BIOS?

thatcomicsguy likes this.