Samsung Notebook 9 - 13" and 15" flippers with Windows 10 and spen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by violajack, May 30, 2017.

1. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry for any confusion - the point I was trying to make is that McAfee is the only third-party application and that Samsung haven't done deals to distribute unnecessary applications beyond that.

Sorry if you took offence to my critique of your mini-review based on by first hand experience and impressions.

I still don't get what you were expecting with respect to the aesthetics of a machine in this class, especially when you reference Apple devices as a benchmark? The MacBook's are hardly any different to the N9P in regard to the eternal design, nor are most other machines in this form factor. There is no discernible flex, no awkward and uncomfortable hard edges and the finish doesn't mark badly and is easy to clean. The one thing that isn't ideal is the placement of the power button, although it has never caused me any issues.

Maybe others find your statement about "bloat" and useless apps somewhat misleading or at least exaggerated? One it's a no brainer to remove any of the Samsung apps with a few simple clicks. Two there are users that find those apps simplify the management of their system. Furthermore as you say it may be possible to make some of those adjustments using system functions within the OS, but the point is those are generic tools, which aren't optimised for the hardware. The Samsung apps simplify things for a large number of users while also maximising the capabilities of the specific hardware. It's not "bloat" based on what most people would consider bloat in the traditional sense of the term imho. I'm not a fan of bloat but I accept the fact that if there is something that I don't like/want and it's down to me to remove them - that's just the way it is. It's even more amazing hearing that statement from a Mac user who has to accept what Apple dictates will be included as part of their OS.

You don't have to do a clean install to remove the Windows garbage the way I mentioned. You just don't connect to the internet until after you have done some simple clean up tasks. The reason being...those unwanted apps will start downloading and installing in the background while you are going through the process if there is web access, because they aren't actually installed locally prior to the configuration of a new machine. That's just how M$ have implemented the Win 10 build process.

If you had a serious issue that warranted some genuine empathy maybe I could understand why you have taken offence. My intention was just to say it how I see it. As a product of the 60's maybe I'm not in tune with the sensitive nature of people in this modern age? One things for sure I'm not tolerant of it.

I did give suggestions about how you could have reduced some of the pain you suffered. It wasn't useful in your case as you had already gone beyond the point where the advice would be useful. Hopefully others reading will benefit from the point you raised and the suggestion offered.

The point is the issue of games etc. being installed is not unique to the Samsung N9P, it applies to the vast majority of hardware that includes a standard Windows 10 build, so the objection is moot when directed towards an individual device. The point of me stating that isn't directed at you personally, it's to inform others who maybe reading that it's not a machine specific issue.

There is no alternative to the N9P with EMR in the same form factor at a similar price that I'm aware of. There are a limited number of EMR equipped alternatives, most of which will be much more expensive, such as the Wacom MSP's and the HP Zbook X2 (both very different form factors though). Other devices in the class don't have EMR so they aren't really alternatives if you want the EMR experience (which is what makes the N9P unique in its class).

It makes sense to me if companies are encroaching on my privacy, actively interfering with settings and introducing circumventions in their forced updates, while dictating how I manage hardware that I own (that's not aimed specific towards Mac or Win)! Again, that maybe because I'm a product of the 60's?

I'm not sure what other suggestion you expect when there is no alternative solution to the issue. Either you spend a few minutes un-installing the applications you don't want to make use of, or you ignore them and shuffle on.

That's the cost of ownership with whatever system you choose I'm afraid. You either learn to fish, go hungry or employ someone to manage your system for you. Or buy a machine from a manufacturer who limits hardware options and removes personal preferences from the equation. Most modern Windows machines are pretty robust when it comes to reinstalling drivers these days. Obviously there are exceptions, more so if you have to upgrade to a new major release of the OS, which the machine wasn't built to support.

For the average user the applications you're referring to as bloat makes their life simpler, while helping to optimise hardware performance. And in fairness those users are probably in the majority.

Only you can make that call.

I'm not sure exactly why you find the Samsung so disappointing as you stated that you found the overall system performance to be good, and the pen experience was to your liking. If the pen performance was a major factor in your purchasing decision I doubt you will find a better alternative. The only issue you raised that can't be altered is the lack of QHD display (the N9P isn't marketed as a QHD device). The unwanted software issues are simple to resolve without any special knowledge.

If you end up sticking with your N9P you may want to think about under volting the CPU and dGPU, if you find the Gen 8 runs a little too hot. There shouldn't be a noticeable change in system performance after under volting. If you search this thread you will find some details about the process and software options.

My reply wasn't/isn't meant to be confrontational or abrasive...I simply can't see the problem with using the un-installation process? Taming Windows is a whole different matter, and I'm in agreement with you on that subject. But it's not Samsung nor N9P specific. There are plenty of threads on the forum with tips and tricks for changing/working around unwanted Windows 10 behaviour.

3. Nicholas8681

Nicholas8681 Scribbler - Standard Member

Last comment on my part. Mainly to make sure I've clarified my views for future readers.

The fact is when I buy a new device I expect it to be free of clutter. We don't buy a refrigerator, plug it in, and open the door only to have it stocked with all the foods we don't want? Sure we could throw it all away, but why would the manufacturer even do that? Core functionality like File Explorer, Files, Finder, Mail, Notes, Notepad, etc. all make sense, but anything additional from a manufacturer should be opt-in. I don't think it should be just "oh that's how it is", and we can just remove them. I'm a Designer by trade, and I firmly believe that is a horrible experience for the end user. You may not find it excessive, but I do and others might as well.

And again...having to not connect to the internet (and somehow knowing that's the magic sauce) to prevent bloat from installing is nonsense, and something Microsoft shouldn't be doing. How would any new user know that?

Accepting both of those options as "thats just how it is" is not an acceptable response. That needs to change, and I'm sure with enough people communicating with Microsoft via UserVoice or Github, we will see the experiences under Microsoft's control being addressed.

Regarding appearance this is purely subjective, and you are of course welcome to argue that it's fine...but my opinion is that from a company like Samsung that produces devices like the Note 8, S8, etc. I expected a better feel, and experience. The device reminded me of a laptop from the 90s. And it was as boring as modern MacBooks Pros. My Samsung Chromebook Pro that cost me $450 feels, and looks better than the Notebook 9. Maybe in that case it's the slim factor of the device (something which with the specific processor it can do, and the N9 can't).

True my only real issue was the display, and that was me testing it to see if I could work with a display that wasn't QHD. I couldn't so that's why I mentioned it. That's something worth sharing with future readers if someone is looking at the device, and debating the same issue.

Cheers.

alaskajoel and Art_N00b like this.
  4. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Overall I respect your opinion. For example, even though I'm okay with the 1080/15" screen, it's at the limit of what I can accept, and I can understand if others need or want better.

And you seem like a thoughtful dude, but I still need to respond to a couple of things here. :)

You're characterizing us as "accepting" but that misses the point or at least is "true but not complete". Most of us are coming from this position: There is no perfect machine and probably never will be. So it's always a combination of fixing what can be fixed and living with the rest. Also, while fixing things on a new machine is not ideal, it's better than things that can't be fixed at all. I cannot turn a MacBook Pro into a 2-in-1, for example (although I suppose the Modbook people can...), but I can uninstall bloatware on Windows. So for many of us, we're not too bothered by what can be fixed in large part because we could fix the thing in question, thank goodness.

I cannot wrap my head around the appearance comments. Yes, it's completely subjective, but I wanted to chime in that having computed through the 90's, there was nothing svelte like this prior to 2000! I mean not even close: https://www.google.com/search?q=90`s+laptop

90's laptops were clunktastic! Maybe I'm taking the 90's comment too literally...

Peace and cheers.

5. jonsuraya

jonsuraya Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello guys! Been keeping up with this thread for few weeks before I caved and bought the N9P this week! Now, I am on the search for a new pen. Saw @thatcomicsguy posted the smardi plus amazon link and the only review available is from someone using the NP9. Is that you, by any chance?

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah. That was me.

So.., really, you're stuck wondering whether my opinion matches up with reality.

Good luck! (Personally, I'd take that gamble, but I'm biased.)

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Holy crap!

I just realized that I've been running this Samsung as my backpack machine now for nearly 11 months! That crept up fast. The one year anniversary is in September.

I guess time flies when you're computing on a kick-ass machine! The battery still holds a charge level which I haven't noticed a drop in since I first unboxed it, "Metal 12" is apparently suitable for rocket ship construction because the thing still looks brand new without even a scratch despite almost a year of backpacking, and I've drawn a stack of satisfying comics on it. All in all, A Very Good Purchase.

I'll have to prepare some kind of One Year Review next month.

Art_N00b likes this.
  8. GunplaCyril

GunplaCyril Pen Pal - Newbie

I love this machine, I moved from the yoga 720 and have no regrets, I mostly do 3D work and occasional 2d concept work, but the pen input is 2nd to none. I'm amazed as well, online benchmarks puts this laptop to about the same benchmark performance as wacom's msp, give or take.

I can live with the 1080p screen, 4k has no practical use for a 15" screen. Glad I was able to stumble upon this thread a few months ago.

thatcomicsguy and DRTigerlilly like this.
  9. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the global pressure curve? Its hard for me to reach the highest end without feeling like I’m going to break the screen or S Pen.

Why can’t Photoshop have a pressure setting like Clip Studio?

10. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know of one. For Photoshop, you can try https://lazynezumi.com/