Samsung Note 8 or Note 10.1?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by pmcd, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmcd

pmcd Pen Pal - Newbie

I have 2 unopened boxes. One is a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and the other is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. I have to decide which to keep. Even though I am very happy with my iPads I really wanted an active digitizer to replace a Windows Tablet PC. A Windows8 slate is not in the cards for me. So I got the two Samsungs.

- the main reason is to take math notes ( using LibraryNotes), view PDFs and to present lectures which requires some writing on the spot but is 80% presentations of pdf's.

- the Note 8 size is appealing and it is newer. On the other hand, would it be too small to write in landscape mode using LibraryNotes or ezPDF?
    - the Note 10.1 would seem to be the size to get but it is older and if I could get away with it the Note 8 might be ok.

There are two important requirements. I need to be able to connect these tablets to a VGA monitor. I seem to have an inelegant solution with the Note 10.1 using HDMI and then an HP HDMI to VGA converter. Hardly ideal but if it works then that would be ok.

I can't seem to find a VGA solution for the note 8.

Any help would really be appreciated. I'd prefer to not open the item that I won't keep.

Thank you,

Philip

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I'd keep the 10.1.

The 8 incher is too small to be a tablet; too big to be a phone. Specs wise the are similar.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd go with the 10 inch one too....Spec wise the 10.1 and 8.0 are nearly the same.

Although I have to admit I have been a little seduced by the portability of the 8.0....but Performance and App wise they will both get the job done. I have the orginal 5.3 inch Note phone and I found the screen too small to really draw on. Although the 8 is better, the 10.1 is pretty much the perfect size.

One thing....both Devices have the same Res, but since that Res is cramped into a smaller screen, the 8.0 does look a bit nicer since its packing more pixels per inch.

I'd still go with the 10.1 though...and its 2 extra inchs of screen real estate for only $50 more then the 8.0.

4. pmcd

pmcd Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much for the replies. So I opened the 10" one and got LectureNotes, ezPDF or something like that and a Wyse VNC/RDP app. I must say that the writing was very good on it. I was even able to use my Lenovo X61T stylus as well as one from my HP2730p. I did quite a bit of writing and it was just fine. In some ways better than my Tablet PC's as I didn't have to calibrate things. Unfortunately, I ended up returning it for the following reasons:

- the hardware looked and felt gaudy ( it didn't have a quality feel like my iPads or a Nexus 7 or the Note 8 which I was able to hold but not use before).

- I couldn't get the connection to VGA working with the Samsung to HDMI adapter and an HP HDMI to VGA. No doubt there is some way of doing it with different adapters but this was a real disappointment.

- I am not used to Android so (1) I never knew if I had quit an app or not and (2) when the screen would lock I had to press the power button to get back in. For some reason I found this annoying although that is probably due to my lack of knowledge of Android.

I am still tempted by the Note 8 as it is at least very elegant. It would of course have a different purpose but at least the screen would be active.

Sigh, if only Apple would throw a bone to handwriting or if MS had a 10" RT tablet with an active screen running Windows Journal and pdf Annotator.

I can see the Note 10.1 being very useful for a lot of people. The price is great for what you get.

Philip

Edit: where I live the Note10.1 is just a bit more than the Note 8.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  5. martie01

martie01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Keep the 8. I love it!! The S Pen is and S Pen software makes it easy to interact with the device. In my opinion, the Samsung 8 beats the 10.1 in portability and multitasking. So if you are on the go you can easily carry the Note 8 around and even take images and doodle or write notes and have it converted to text quite easily. Jut my humbler opinion.

I simply love the 8. The looks may be a little unimpressive, but the thing simply burns through application after application with no stutters.

6. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

You do realize both devices have an Exynos 4412 chipset cortex A9, mali400MP gpu, 2GB RAM and same os and version of touchwiz right? The note 8 chipset is clocked at 200 mhz higher than the Note 10, but that's negligible.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  7. martie01

You points are True indeed. But the market trend in Tablets are going towards smaller and more portable devices. A device you can use as a phone and tablet for example -- Something not too big but not too small either. Just saying.

8. klachowski

klachowski Pen Pal - Newbie

I wish the trend would expand towards the larger side so I could have a nice big 15 inch digital canvas to work on when I want to get serious, but judging from my recent great experience with my Note 2 phone I have to say I would be very tempted by the Note 8 as a portable tablet/phone option. Considering how rarely I make actual phone calls I wouldn't mind holding a huge Note 8 phone to the side of my head every once in a while in exchange for a larger portable digital canvas. If I could get away with wearing pants and/or shorts with cargo pockets everywhere I think I'd make the switch. In fact that statement just half convinced me... I remember being rather surprised when tablets first hit the market that they didn't include phone capabilities. I know holding a 10" tablet to the side of your head is a bit ridiculous, but speaker phone and ear pieces make this far less of an issue.

9. martie01

LMAO!! I have a picture on my review page of someone holding the 8 up to there ear to talk. It does look rather strange, but I guess if it works it works. Kind of reminds me of the old New Jack City movie holding a large device up to your ear to talk. Check out the pictures here if you like; find out more about the Samsung Note 8 and best pricing if you care as well. BTW, check out the video comparison between the 10 and Note 8 at bottom of review -- quite compelling I think.

Regards, Eric

Samsung Note 8

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. pmcd

pmcd Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I bit the bullet and went with the Note 8. I really like it a lot. I am basically an iPhone/iPad/Mac user but the Note 8 is just great. Much better than the 10.1 which felt cheap to me. I have managed to get it to output to an HDMI Projector. The next step is to output it to a VGA one. That seems trickier.

LectureNotes works fine on the Note 8, but I find it requires using it in landscape mode which is fine. I also like that return, option and home are on the case and not the screen which required me to keep pressing the power button on the Note 10.1.

Both the Note 8 and Note 10.1 are nicer than the Windows 8 slates I tried. Too bad pdf annotator isn't available on the Note but I'll survive. What I really want is an iPad with an active digitizer... but I doubt that will happen. Hope Samsung does well with the stylus.

Philip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.