Samsung is really, really, REALLY big.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by thatcomicsguy, Feb 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just ran across this item...

I knew they were big, but... 17% of South Korea's GDP?? One company? That's more power than the government. More employees than Apple, Google and Microsoft combined. Almost a half million workers!

That doesn't even sound real! That's some intense Neal Stephenson stuff, right there, with his cyberpunk visions of 20-minutes-into-the-future fiction. -Or perhaps, (as I posted in amazement on the YouTube video comment section).., Samsung is one merger away from becoming the real-life Weyland-Yutani Corporation.

I'm looking at you Mr. Musk. Don't do it! (Or maybe, do it?)

Just thought that was worth a share.

Marty likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, the Chaebol (originally this referred to family businesses, but has grown to refer to the originally Korean multi-nationals) are huge, and have been quite successful in negotiating favourable tax treatments and so forth. They were a big part of S. Korea's "economic miracle" in the late 70s, early 80s, running up to hosting the Olympics, which put the country on the international stage and went a long way towards making the names acceptable in international markets.

It works for Korea, but I'd argue that "too big to fail" is a big problem for the future world economy, and that society needs to decide how this will be addressed --- the whole thing makes me want to move to Vermont.

Tams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Chaebol is the same Korean word as Japanese Zaibatsu. The dudes that ran Japan into trying to dominate Asia and thought they could stop the U.S. from entering the war by taking out its Pacific fleet. Just sayin'

Tams likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I gotta ask...

What's in Vermont?

5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Vermont seems like a more small-town-like, small-business-friendly state --- for a long while there weren't any Wal-marts there (now apparently there are 5). They're also operating a program which pays one to move there if one has a remote job.

Tams likes this.