Samsung Galaxy TabPro S (SM-W700)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Marty, Sep 16, 2015.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Sounds like a direct assault by Samsung on the upcoming Surface Pro 5. The TabPro S is now even narrower and shorter than before with 2.4mm chopped off on the length and width dimensions. More impressively, however, is the fact they have upped the screen size from 12-inches to 12.4 inches. So for fans of uber thin minimalistic bezels, this may be closer to perfection. What really stands out is now they are cramming in a full U-class i5-6200U processor in this tablet's casing so they are going for much higher performance in this go. It would be fascinating to see what kind of passive cooling system Samsung has implemented. Liquid cooling is all the rage, first making the headlines in the Surface Pro 4, and being further remixed in the Acer's latest Aspire Switch Alpha 12. So it would only make sense with the market focus on thinness that the TabPro S 2 will maintain its fanless, trim design. We have no clues as to what the TabPro S 2's actual thickness will be with these advancements they are implementing. But I am sure we would be impressed if they maintained its thickness and awed if they shaved off another fraction of a millimeter or two.

alextrela182 and cspaint like this.
  2. cspaint

cspaint Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd also like to point out this is a Bluetooth 4.1 device...

3. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Let's wait and see what Samsung is actually bringing to the table. I don't consider the TabPro S2 a direct alternative to the SP5.

It is going to be thin and light, but for me "Pro" means functionality and/or performance. And I think this is where the TabPro S2 won't be able to compete with a SP5. Lack of ports, lack of kickstand and I expect more thermal throttling.

With a Core-U I doubt it will be fanless, one pic of the FCC listing seems to show some fan vents on the top:

[​IMG]

The current TabPro S is already quite packed on the inside wiht not much of a heatsink. I donsee them squeezing a very effective cooling mechanism in the same chassis, active or passive:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well few weeks away from the announcement I've sold my Tab Pro S as couldn't live with the only 1 USB C ,lack of quality pen and bad quality keyboard.
    I've being impressed by the screen,battery life(1.5 hour better than my previous SP4) and portability but the disadvantages was deal breaker to deal with for a long time.

According to the link above and if that is true i see major improvement on the successor.:)

-12.4 " inches is very welcome while keeping the screen resolution at same level.
    -Also S-Pen active digitizer.
    -8/256 version option
    -And of of course finally Samsung put 2 USB C 3.1 port(that's major positive movement)
    -Adding micro SD slot it's one more positive movement by Sammy.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

You would be surprised how much of a difference of reshuffling components in the hardware floorplan along with a advancing in the liquid cooling design can make. The Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 is completely passive and outperforms the fanless Surface Pro 4 m3 by 30% in sustained single core and 50% in sustained multi core benchmarks (Cinebench R15). The Alpha 12 is only 2% to 5% performance behind the full fat Surface Pro 4 i5 in sustained performance for the very same benchmarks--enough said. With this as just the first generation design iteration of a fully passive Core U-class production device, things can only get better as design and materials science perfects this in the lab.

You can bet on it that Acer was not the only one who leaped at the opportunity to refine the liquid cooling design in the Surface Pro 4 as soon as it went public. Judging by the history of the PC market to date, it is certain that Microsoft themselves has something cooking in the engineering labs as well as their most ademant competitors. As for those vents, passive vents are quite commonplace and effective for expelling heat, especially at the top of a device since heat naturally travels upwards.

The Surface Pro 4 m3 is a prime example of passive ventilation, with vents surrounding the entire device, which together with its passive liquid cooling effectively puts the kibosh on any heat-related throttling. The Lenovo's most recent Miix 720 also introduces vents on the sides of the device to complement internal cooling and may actually fix the throttling issues of the outgoing model. I believe the iPad Pros also use their quad-speaker vents as quasi-ventilation: a sound design answer to also saultry temperatures! I fully expect a few more higher performance, slim and passive tablet PCs to hit the market over the next year and many more in the following year.

Of course, a correctly implemented fan-based design will always win in performance but fan technology is reaching the point of diminishing returns now where weight and power comes into play. At a sub-two pound, sub-one centimeter thickness form factor, fanless designs are quickly achieving the maximum performance requirements of fan-based designs. Admittedly, fan-based designs utilizing the liquid cooling systems of these fanless designs achieve far better results but then battery life goes out the window at the expense of higher heat dissipation and performance.

Realistically, with the weight and size constraints of tablets PCs, fanless designs are quickly meeting the full, unthrottled temperature requirements for the 15 watt Core U-class processor, so much so that fan-based designs could become extinct and exclusive to laptops and desktops in the near future. In truth, the first Surface Pro's fan design was a bandage fix since the passive thermal cooling technology and lower power CPU's were not yet ready for ultra mobile, but now with all these technologies reaching their maturity, we will eventually say goodbye to fans in most tablet PCs for good.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    dellaster and Marty like this.
  6. cspaint

cspaint Pen Pal - Newbie

tabpros2.png

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The most interesting thing about this tablet is the possibility of a real S-Pen using EMR technology. It that turns out to be true, even without a silo, I would have to give this tablet some thought. With a smaller footprint and larger display, the tablet is a no-brainer. I'm not sure about the I5, U series CPU but have an open mind

sonichedgehog360 and Yao like this.
  8. neten

neten Pen Pal - Newbie

Let's hope the attempt to squeeze a passive cooling system and a big battery in an already packed inside will not have..samsung's recent explosive results.

9. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

Is this Samsung TabPro S2 is around 1.7 lbs or less with Wacom EMR, its a WINNER.

Just please have at least 6 hours battery life of real world mixed usage.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. cspaint

cspaint Pen Pal - Newbie