Samsung Galaxy TabPro S (SM-W700)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Marty, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Remember that rumor last month about Samsung's possible return to Windows with a Core M OLED slate? The 2k/4k OLED 16:10 screen coupled with Wacom EMR seemed a little too good to be true, especially given Samsung's seeming exit from the Windows market.

[​IMG]

Well it turns out an official listing for testing unit of the tablet under model SM-W700 was spotted on Zauba:

SM-W700.JPG

After the demise of Samsung Ativ Q, I am totally stoked for this! The first OLED Windows machine and a Wacom EMR (non 16:9) tablet to boot!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm looking forward to this as well...however.....I do have one area of worry.

I recently got the Note 5 phone.....using the included S-Pen is very nice.....great pressure sensitivity, Cintiq grade levels of needed activation force, good edge accuracy, and almost zero parallax.

However.....older EMR pens are a nightmare to use. The note 5 will still recognize them, but the slight offset is no longer the biggest issue. Older EMR pens like my Axitron Studio Pen now require a ridiculous amount of activation force to register brush strokes. ( conversely the Note 5 S-Pen works great on older EMR tablets). Since it's almost a grantee this tablet will use the same grade of digitizer found I'm the Note 5...... We will be forced to use Samsungs S-Pens or that new feel pen Wacom is putting out.

Which still sucks because both Samsung and Wacom are showing no love for back end eraser pens or having dual side switches on the pens.

3. Marty

I've been testing the Note5 too, and I'm in agreement with your findings: initial activation force is incredibly low with the S-Pen. I believe they've mounted the nib closer with a tighter calibrated spring, versus older EMR pens.

The activation force with older EMR pens is perhaps double (6g versus the normal 3g) on the Note. This is still manageable, because there is a smooth and consistent ramp up after activation (maybe even more consistent pressure curve than on Tablet PCs), meaning the higher IAF can be adapted to after a few strokes.

So if new SM-W700 uses the latest S-Pen Wacom EMR digitizers, I still think this would be overall benefit.

If Samsung doesn't make an dual-switch+eraser S-Pen, I have faith that the community will be able to hack the new S-Pen tip assemblies into older EMR pen bodies. ;)

4. darkmagistric

Acctually from my initial testing with the Axiotron Studio Pen and Thinkpad Tablet 10 Pen, the activation force is way higher then 6......very akin to using a N-trig Pen with Fresh Paint back in the early days of the Surface Pro 3 release. Like overall worse then n-trig, and not really manageable. However I decided to do a little test with all my EMR Pens and I was very surprised by the results.

Using "Artflow"

First with just using different S-Pens.....extremely different results

[​IMG]

Specifically with the Phone Note 1 & Phone Note 2 S-pens which seem to rule as polar opposites on both sides of initial activation force spectrum. The Note 2 pen ramps up to the pressure places no other pen can achieve.

The Tablet Note 8 & Both Tablet Note 10 2012 & 2014 S-Pens seemed to fare a bit better but still subpar compared to the Note 5 S-pen

Now with the Older EMR Pens/non s-pens.....against interesting results.

[​IMG]

The Thinkpad Tablet 10 Pen surprised me the most because it the most recent EMR pen in my collection and it uses the smaller S-Pen style nibs instead of the older/longer nibs. So the Thinkpad Tablet 10 Pen has the best edge accuracy and the most minimal offset of all the non-spen EMR Pens.....but the Activation Force is hideous.

My prized Axitron Studio pen didn't fare much better being the 2nd worst. (and of course these were the two pens I based my original assessment on)

Now the Ep121 Pen and the Samsung Series 7 Slate Pen (which is really the same pen, just different color and side/switch & Shirt clip added) fared fairly well...need to do more testing.....while not as good as the Note 5 S-pen.....those two pens definitely seem to be the most manageable of the bunch.

thatcomicsguy, ATIVQ and Marty like this.
  5. Marty

Wow! And I thought I had a lot of Wacom devices! Did you ever consider setting up an Wacom exhibit? :vbtongue:

For reference, I've pulled out these old lists of Wacom UD-based pens:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I ran a few quick tests of my own trying using the pens I had on hand on the Note5 (Artflow, brush size 20px):
    artflow_201509201237_copy.jpg

I noticed in Artflow, I had to push alot harder than usual compared to Sketchbook (I would say the IAF was like 12-15g for the old EMR pens). Using the same force produced the extra thick lines you see for the Note5 pen.

Have you tried repeating a few tests in Sketchbook for Galaxy?

6. darkmagistric

I tried both Sketchbook and the Older Sketchbook Pro (which Google play has me grandfathered into despite that app no longer being available) with my Axiotron Stylus and I found the results were the same roughly as artflow

7. Marty

I think Sketchbook for Galaxy should be a free download, if you ever wish to install it.

In Sketchbook for Galaxy, I'm getting about 6g of IAF for old EMR pens, so this is probably an app pressure calibration problem. The tracking offset seems to be about 3mm to the top-left (pen held left-handed) in portrait on the Note5. Is that generally what you're finding?

I really wish Samsung would make a position/pressure calibrator into the Note line, however since the SM-W700 is a Windows machine, we should be able to use the built in Windows pen calibration utility and the Pressure Curve Tool to compensate.

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

AMOLED, 1.3 lbs, Core M, this thing could be a contender.

Bronsky and Vaga like this.
  9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ Vā…Oā…„ Senior Member

Does the Note 5 still have tilt sensitivity like the Note 4?

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That would be a nice feature for sketching, for sure.