Samsung Galaxy Tab S4, 10.5", S Pen, 2018

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Art_N00b, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 to Reportedly Launch on August 1 Ahead of Galaxy Note 9
    https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/2...portedly-launch-august-1-ahead-galaxy-note-9/

According to the report, the South Korean giant is announcing the Galaxy Tab S4 on August 1, 2018. The company has scheduled a high-profile exclusive launch event to bring out the device. Earlier, some reports hinted that Samsung may bring out at the Tab S4 at the Galaxy Note 9 launch event, but now it seems that the company would launch it at an exclusive event as the ‘Unpacked’ event is already stacked with other products on the side, such as the Galaxy Watch and accessories.​

Discussion on its predecessor, the Galaxy Tab S3, is at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/samsung-tab-s3-9-7.71803/

WillAdams and dellaster like this.
  2. Art_N00b

Here is Samsung's video, released today, introducing the Tab S4:

When they unbox it in the video, they pull out the included S Pen which looks larger than past versions. More like a regular sized pen.

A couple brief intro articles:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-tab-s4-is-a-649-2-in-1-android-tablet-for-multitaskers/
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...galaxy-tab-s4-tablet-announced-features-price

I agree with one of the authors that given the emphasis on multitasking with DeX, it would have been nice to see more RAM. It's still 4 GB like the S3.

WillAdams and dellaster like this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A 16:10 aspect ratio in a tablet? And they're trying to directly compete with the 4:3 aspect ratio iPad Pro 10.5? Are they insane? o_O

Art_N00b likes this.
  4. Art_N00b

Yeah I think that is weird too. I mean not even 16:9 to match HD video... and both the iPad and S3 are 4:3 and I never heard anyone complain. The only thing I can think of is that they want to optimize the use case where people hold it in portrait for reading.

I'm thinking more and more about trying out the 12.3" 3:2 Chromebook Pro or Pixelbook.

5. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The pixelbook as been on and off sale for a while now and at one point was $699 for a 256gb with i5 and 8gb of ram at BB, but the same looks to be $750 for 128gb model at walmart. Much better deal than this if you ask. Same with the Wacom AES based Chrome X2, which sadly maxes at 32gb currently, and a bit pricey at like $600, but pen in included.

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The graphics tablet and other added functionality is interesting --- I could see this being a popular item for artists.

7. Maki81

Maki81 Pen Pal - Newbie

Really, the S Pen experience on Samsung's tabs is quite wonderful. But the drawback is Android. Because Google refuses to commit one way or the other to the tablet format, be it Android or Chrome OS, they basically get a vote of no confidence from developers. Therefore, the iPad runs off with Clip Studio Pro, and soon Photoshop, while Android is stuck with leftovers.

dellaster likes this.
  8. Art_N00b

Infinite Painter on Android is a sweet art app loaded with tools and a great brush engine. People also like Artflow, Clover Paint and others, but I haven't tried them.

My complaint is screen size. iPad Pro offers 12.9" in a 4:3 format. I don't see anything like that for Android (with Wacom pen tech). I think you can get that in Chromebooks, but with different pen tech.

I caved and got the iPad Pro. The 2nd gen has 120 Hz refresh rate and wide color gamut too. But no SD card is lame.

A Tab S4 with 4:3 ratio, bigger screen and more RAM could have been artastic! As it stands now, I'm wary of the 16:10 ratio for drawing.

Let's hope for more competition over time. We all benefit.

9. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think most chrome devices with pen that size are 3:2, except for the V2 of the Chromebook Plus(wacom emr), which moved to 16:10. The Chromebook Pro is 3:2 Wacom emr, and Pixelbook is also 3:2(same display as the Pro), but Wacom aes.

Art_N00b likes this.