Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S2

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by dstrauss, Feb 16, 2017.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

When I started the discussion thread I didn't even realize there were two models! Oops.. But yeah, other than the name they are really different beasts. Do they even have separate names? Galaxy Booklet for the small one?

WillAdams likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Galaxy Pudgey

Bishop and Bronsky like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here is a nice chart from Samsung on the new Galaxy tablet lineup:

[​IMG]

Note that the 10" versions seems to be runt of the litter: no AMOLED display, gimped eMMC storage, no 2nd USB-C port (and no rear camera for those who care). I'm surprised they didn't remove the microSD slot and call it a wrap :p. Man, that thing better be cheap.

Also, many sites are reporting that Samsung will be bringing tilt to the Windows S-Pen drivers....

(WindowsCentral)
    "Perhaps the most exciting thing about the S-Pen is its unique software features. In conjunction with Microsoft and Adobe, Samsung's S-Pen will offer a tilting experience, which the company at least says will be exclusive to its devices."

Which leads us to interpret a couple of options:
    • Wacom created a Samsung-exclusive Feel driver to support tilt (meaning we might be able to hack this functionality onto older EMR devices)
    • Microsoft is planning to release an expanded InkAPI (maybe with Creator's Update?) with tilt options and Wacom has actually updated its entire lineup (AES Pen Gen13, dual-protocol pen, and UD pens) to support the new spec. Samsung's tablets will be "exclusively" the first to feature this.
    Which do you think it is? Might we soon be seeing a tilt-capable Surface Pen?

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

it would have been complete IF it had it's own kickstand.

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  5. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

That will be a smart move. Microsoft has done little for us - the non art pen users - the Handwriters. We are Passionate about handwriting but their passion lies somewhere else. Their apathy towards handwriting experience was laid bare when they released Surface Studio. Microsoft is the fourth best in a race where only 5 people ran. Fifth one being the synaptics. And I frankly expect more than just "better than Synaptics" performance from the most aspirational line of Windows TabletPCs.

southdunes likes this.
  6. siddhartth

or alternatively the Fulcrum/WatchBand hinge.

Galaxybooks are more like iPad competitors.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Is this a joke? 4th best? Really? Atmel and Synaptics are your panting, fat and unfit 4th and 5th place losers that got lapped by the Wacom EMR, Wacom AES and N-trig trinity of star triathletes. Some might even consider Wacom AES and current generation N-trig a neck and neck second place tie requiring a coin toss. It may not be the most natural, analog, effortless solution on the planet, but current generation N-trig is still a top dog, top shelf product in my book, just barely edged out by Wacom EMR.

FYI, this thread is the old one that we retired for the Galaxy Book thread and you won't find any current discussion here.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  8. siddhartth

Sorry Here's a correction-
    1. New Wacom professional grade EMR (cintiq pro/MSpro)
    2. New Wacom EMR Supplied to Samsung (Galaxybook/note7)
    3. Apple Pencil
    4. old Wacom professional grade EMR (older Cintiq)
    5. Wacom AES
    6. NTrig (I find Pen cursor alignment a little bit off compared to the dead on Wacom AES)
    7. Old consumer grade EMR (Note3/thinkpad yoga 14")
    8. Synaptics
    9. ATmel
    NTrig is 6th best in a race of 9 people.
    that edge is the tipping point for me to actually giving digital Handwriting a serious and $1200 expensive thought.

sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.
  9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I would honestly say that older Wacom EMR tablets and laptops are still far far better than Ntrig. That's easy- I've owned both types. I personally think it's better than AES aswell. I've not tried any of the new Wacom options, so I'll simply agree they're better, but old Wacom tech (even old tablet tech that you got on all non-cintiq devices) is a clear #5. Even no. It's just an opinion.

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

While I am the first to admit this is a generally correct line up, it does not fairly represent how superior N-trig, especially Surface Pro 4 N-trig technology, is to Atmel and Synaptics. I would rate them:

Wacom EMR (latest gen): 9.5/10
    Apple Pencil: 9/10
    Wacom AES: 8/10
    N-trig (latest gen): 7.5/10 (Considering its issue with drawing straight lines at slow stroke speeds)
    Synaptics/Atmel: 3/10

N-trig may be comparatively worse than other more premium offerings. But in the vast configuration of things, you could do much, much worse and N-trig is quite great.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.