Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S2

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by dstrauss, Feb 16, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/feature/samsung-galaxy-tabpro-s2-might-debut-this-month/

OK - I confess - I went ballistic about no silo on this thing, but after two weeks with an S Pen Wacom EMR beauty from the low end of the Samsung dog pound (Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S Pen), I am all in on EMR again. I know that is a very personal experience, but the N-trig and "universal" Wacom AES pens just can't hold a candle to an S Pen when I'm writing - DISCLAIMER - my drawing ability stops at stick figures.

So, I am seriously considering a GN5 (until GN8 lands) so my silo will be in my pocket instead of in the tablet. Less convenient, but it will ALWAYS be with me, and best of all USABLE on both devices.

All that aside, if the GTPS2 is the same size and weight as the first version, this could be a serious contender for a true single device (well, with phone) solution. I'm a skeptical of a full Core processor in those confines; battery life is sure to take a hit with a 2.5% battery reduction; the keyboard is a throwback to the early Surface Pro generations; but if we can get a real 6+ hours of productivity time, and LTE to boot, I am seriously considering leaving the Surface camp.

What say you?

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

southdunes and Bronsky like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Hmmmmm. That's interesting.

Seriously consider the Note 4 if you are buying old hardware to hold you over until the GN8 comes out. It is nearly the same as the Note 5 (except it has a fake leather back) but has a replaceable battery (keep one charged) and an SD card. I would guess that performance is not that much different than my GN5.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually there is a sizable performance difference between the Note 4 & Note 5....this is pertaining to art apps only, but I've definitely had some convos on this board with people who had the Note 4 and they found laggy or unsatisfactory performance in select art apps on their Note 4's.....that ran perfectly fine and lag free on my Note 5. Again this is only pertaining to Art Apps with CPU intensive brush engines....but its certainly something to consider.

And as far as this Tab Pro 2....I pray.....pray it actually has a real S-pen....silo or not.........honestly, if they have a full size premium pen over the usual tooth pick, I would be fine with that.

I just hope they don't "pre-bundle" that worthless rebanded Creative Stylus 2 with the Tab Pro 2.

sonichedgehog360, Bronsky and Tonitti like this.
  5. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I read it is likely an Active (AES) Pen, not EMR. So, no actual S-pen.

Pass

6. dstrauss

That's a good idea. Just read a little on AndroidCentral - looks like the GN5 is thinner, little lighter, faster - and has Android M (soon to be N), but for half the price, here I go...

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Passing too soon....given Samsungs partner history with Wacom getting then the better EMR tech over other ODMs....should Samsung switch to Wacom AES....it could be the endlessly delayed Gen 13 pen tech which might be good enough to give EMR a proper run for its money

8. dstrauss

OH PLEASE - NO AES - I WANT THE SAME PEN IN THE PHONE AS THE TABLET - PLEASE NO...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Trash dove shakes his head "yes" in agreement with putting in EMR. If, however, they put AES in instead, you can gladly and shamelessly shoot down and bag this viral abomination of a "fowl"-feathered creature.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Warning: Apologies to anyone who had to apply a gratuitous dosage of mind bleach after viewing the contents of this post.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    JoeS, artistebot and Bronsky like this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hey Old Pals! Good to find you alive and posting - you probably never stopped, but I've been away.

I have much experience to lend here. As a former Note 5 owner, present Note 4 owner, I can assure you that the Note 4 has very snappy performance and, to the best of my recollection (sorry, to lazy to check 3 yr old reviews!), the measured performance goose to the N5 is rather minimal (not doubting member's experience with advance art programs but as Mr. Strauss is a self-described stick figure artist, this should be immaterial :D). If you want a slicker device than the N4 but keep the battery/SD options, consider finding a Note Edge, relatively low volume but superb upscaled version of the N4 sold at the time. As for going from Android M to N, I wasn't aware the N5 is definitely getting N but, as this would be largely an interim purchase, and in any event either the N4 or N5 are more susceptible to hardware decline/poop out than Android OS obsolescence over the next 18 mos, I think the ability to very cheaply refresh the battery and to vastly expand the storage makes the N4/Edge the better bet. (Caveat: if there are features in Nougat you greatly crave, this would change the equation). Last point: Samsung's Android upgrade program has been long delayed and frequently trouble prone and, absent that argument in favor of the N5, I would say the N4/NEdge option is the clear winner. Plus, I would guess these 2014 products must be so cheap that if you come to regret the decision (unlikely) you would not have much invested, and the N4 is certainly a useful spare Android phone and/or spare mini Wacom tablet.

I have spoken, and spoken, and spoken....o_O. Good to see old friends! Best, Jeff

artistebot likes this.