Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S Pen

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by barnesgj, Oct 28, 2016.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

Not an artist, but a heavy notetaker. I don't need a keyboard for text input. Just free-form inking & Grafitti for Android is all I use.

artistebot likes this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I use pen input all the time in OneNote when using my windows ablet, so that sort of text input seems very easy. But are people actually using their pens to write pen-handwrittwn-altered-to-type-written emails?

As a side note, I often thought pen input for emails, where they read your input as handwriting, would be lovely, but that's never developed. Unless it has?

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I do that once in a while, but you have to send it as attachments.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  4. djas

djas Graffiti User

yup. me too.

5. amired13

amired13 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys. Just read the whole thread. I'm looking for a writing tablet for classes and the GTA10.1Spen looks like the perfect fit. I can get it off amazon.com for about $350 (including shipping and local VAT, sincw this model isn't sold in my country and the only amazon which sells it the the US one).
    Do you think there are other recommended models for the price? Isn't the screen too small for daily writing during classes? I'd also love to hear your take on the Palm rejection quality.
    Thanks!

djas and WillAdams like this.
  6. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Palm rejection works great for me.

amired13 and WillAdams like this.
  7. amired13

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The cheapest I've seen was $279 back last Black Friday at Best Buy, but with 8.25% sales tax, that comes to $302, and it is selling for $299 on BHPhoto with no sales tax and free shipping.

artistebot likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The pricing question from @amired13 got me to thinking (I know, way too dangerous). With Samsung producing the Tab S3 and Galaxy Book series, both high end and WITHOUT silos, what are the odds against a low cost successor to the Tab A 10.1 with S Pen? In fact, what could you even upgrade on the TA10.1 and keep it under $400 today:
    • AMOLED - no way
    • higher resolution screen - not likely
    • 32gb base storage - that's possible
    • keyboard cover - no way
    • 4g LTE - only for another $100
    • Metal housing - not likely
    So, in effect, is the TA10.1 the apex device for a reasonably priced note taking device? I think that's an easy question to answer - and why I'm thinking about picking one up before my only source is eBay.

artistebot and WillAdams like this.
  10. amired13

so you're basically saying "go buy one while it's still available at a decent store!"
    I like the analysis you did, I only need a tablet which offers decent writing capabilities and good battery life for classes so none of the above improvements are necessary for me. I'm gonna buy one now!