Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S Pen

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by barnesgj, Oct 28, 2016.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

"S-Pen" is just Samsung branding. Normally on the Note devices, the S-Pen is a rebranded Wacom EMR pen. When Samsung did the Galaxy TabPro S last year however THAT S-Pen was a Synaptics pen, and would not be compatible. AFAIK, all OTHER Note pens -- S-Pens are EMR.

EDIT: The TabPro S uses a capacitive pen...the C-Pen (Which is a rebranded Wacom Creative Stylus 2)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    artistebot likes this.
  2. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

The S Pen Stylus is on sale at BB for $25 today. Reg $80.

3. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Wooooo! Thank you so much for posting this, I just grabbed one at that price. Hoping it works out for me, so far I'm loving everything about my Tab A and have been dying for a better pen.

4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

FYI the Samsung Tab A 10.1 2016 w S-Pen (holy **** that name sucks) just got the Nougat update so multi-window with apps is freaking great.

IMHO a Samsung Tab A 10.1 2016 w S-Pen (holy **** that name sucks) + Noris digital Pencil makes for a hard to beat digital sketchbook value, easily better than any competing product. If Samsung had any sense they would market the Tab A + SND as the best value for digital sketching anywhere.

...sadly Samsung will likely let it die on the vine..

stoneseeker and WillAdams like this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

:( so true...

artistebot likes this.
  6. artistebot

DRTigerlilly and dstrauss like this.
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

What's included in Android 7 that particularly adds to your assessment? And if you were going to make an argument against the device, what's would it be? Just looking for some context for your superlatives. I've pondered upgrading from my Thinkpad Tablet 2.

Do you use te Tab A 10.1 for anything besides note taking? I would think it a bit too big to type on? And without a keyboard it is purely a tablet, yes? Or do you feel text input by pen is good ouch now that you don't need the keyboard? I work out of doors, and so generally have to do all mobile email on the iPhone- it's so much easier obetter type and dictate on than my windows tablet.

Can you go into a little more detail?

artistebot likes this.
  8. artistebot

I will only speak of what I use or of notice.

Like implied, I use the device as an art device, so I take notes less often and are not important to me.

Android 7 adds a much more robust multi-window features, where any apps can be used in window or full screen mode. Also the windows have much larger range and flexibility for size and aspect. Having the ability to have one app full-screen and have others floating over top in windows is, IMHO, very useful for multitasking. Interacting with the full screen app will not cause the floating windows to be hidden, something that Windows only does when a app is installed to enable that. (or at least in my experience?)

I find that I rarely or even need a keyboard when using iOS of Android, but when using Windows (on a tablet) I find a keyboard is needed far more often. IMHO using a keyboard on-the-go is plain awkward.

Based upon my experience, having a sketch book handy is nice, but needs to be simple and easy to use (like only paper and pen). The intent is not to have a device that can "solve all the worlds problems" (windows surface perhaps?) but to be easy and comparatively simple to use for a enhanced art sketchbook.

Much like your use of an iPhone, it does what you need with less effort than hauling out a full-on computer. To me, Android offers the customization of a PC, with the touch-based and simple interface that iOS offers. There will always be an argument that something is lacking, but as an artist, who is comfortable with Wacom products, Samsung fits well into my expectations.

Where the Tab A is weak is its small built in storage, average screen, that is not as bright as others, and mid range CPU. However when used as a "enhanced art sketchbook" IMHO those limits are negligible and have not affected me. More is often always better, the Tab S3 is better.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    WillAdams and dstrauss like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

A very perceptive insight. Too often I find myself "wanting" a Swiss army knife when all I "needed" was a screwdriver...

artistebot likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Has anyone seen a real review of the GB 10 - beyond the release videos of folks waiting for their turns with the GB 12? Anyone who has one chime in and give us your thoughts.