Samsung Galaxy Note (sketching machine)

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by latinvixen, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I should really go down the AT&T store and try it out again now that I know what apps to try. They were even prying me download apps I wanted to ty out on the tester in the store, so that should help. I was really judging things by the S-memo app and sketchbook mobile, neither of which I was too impressed by. Lag was an issue as was lack of real pressure sensitivity. With the update to sketchbook, Freenote+, and infinite painter maybe it'll really do why I want.

Btw, as posted on an earlier page, there's a version of the PS app that you can download io Gingerbread. Latinvixen tried it and seemed to like it.

Does anyone still have any major critiques of it? Just looking for critical input.

2. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I put the PS app on and the pressure sensitivity is pretty excellent, but Adobe Ideas is a completely different thing.

I used to use my iPhone 4 for some sketching (but it does suck for that, imo). The Galaxy Note is way better. I probably sketch 10x more on my phone than I used to. If you've bought into the iOS ecosystem with your iPhone it's kind of tough to move over to Android. But I did and I've been fine. No plan to go back.

One critical thing for me so far, I haven't found a way to use wired headphones with mic and vol. buttons yet. But I hear bluetooth ones work fine. I've never found bluetooth headsets that are comfortable or stay on my ear. I have tiny ears.

If they let you install apps, you should check out Papyrus as a sketching app. I like it a ton and the pressure sensitivity is good. Exports as a PDF. Nice stuff. Sketchbook Mobile does have pressure sensitivity now, but it's still a little laggy.

Let me know if you have any other Q's. I'm happy to chime in.

3. Steve B

Can you import a pdf or a jpeg to Papyrus? I tried to find that out on their website but couldn't figure it out. The app looks great. The reviews look god. One of the things I've been looking for is better pen usage -- things like flicks, such as it offers

4. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

No image/pdf import that I can see in Papyrus. But, it is still technically a beta app.

Not sure about the flicks thing.

5. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I emailed the Papyrus developer with suggestions and they claimed they are working on importing and exporting options. I really like the way they've made use of the S-Pen and they also have said they will incorporate the eraser on Wacom pens in the future. Since it's still in beta, this is probably a great time to send suggestions.

Palm rejection has been okay on my Note. My biggest issue however is the capacitive buttons as I find in portrait mode that I will accidently brush them when I start to ink. The easiest position for me to write is to have the capacitive buttons on the left side in landscape mode (I'm a righty).

6. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been waiting and hoping that the makers of Artrage would release a version for Android, I could move several of my current projects over to my note. But they amazingly have no immedeate plans to make an Android version anytime soon. The reason being that as a small company, they dont have the capital to research the Android OS, so it's not financially sound for them right now. The iOS version was buit from their original MAC version, but they dont have a starting point for Android.
    I think that if they took the chance, they would see a good increase in their capital, but it's not to be. I'll just have to wait until they finally catch up. Of course if they take too long, they may just get left behind.

7. Steve B

Well, I went and got one of these finally last week, but ended up returning it. There we're a lot of reasons, some of whih were about design-- way too big to be a hand held phone for me, very large in the pocket-- and some about the OS-- I hated it's style of autocorrect and had a hard time typing on it, I had to do way way more than I wanted to to set it up, like getting apps for things like visual voice mail and well done browsing or texting, which I jut don't want to have to fiddle with. The truth is that I like my iPhone and was surprised at the huge amount of time and effort I was going to have I spend to get the Note to run he way I wanted to. Sometime, I just want a tool to work. I don't need to personalize it as much as the Android OS allows and requires.

I also have to say that I just don't tgu I the pen oriented apps are really there yet. They're clearly improved from Februrary, when I last tested it, but IMO there's still a ways to go. I also felt like, yes, in the end, there is a size that is just too small for me to want to draw on. I need simething bigger than the Note. Perhaps something 7" would be small but big enough for me. Hard to say. I'm also always bringing my x200t with me in the field now, every day, and that has removed some of the need I felt for having that "just in case" kind of device around.

Anyways, I thought I'd like it, but in the end it was a no for me. Instead I jailbroke my out of contract iPhone, and am having a good time with that. ;)

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just upgraded my unlocked UK Galaxy Note with the long awaited ICS update.

I am happy to report the upgrade did indeed improve pen performance.

Its noticeable in the S-memo app...much faster and better and capturing brush strokes

Sketchbook Pro is also a serious improvement over Skeckbook Mobile. Still no eraser support, but I'm much happier with it overall.

Photoshop Touch....yeah that's still yucky in the pressure department.

However my biggest praise....We finally have a Cursor....since the pen tip is always slightly off from where the actual selected pixal is....having a hovering cursor is a godsend. Now we just need a calibration tool or a way to modify the size/shape of the cursor....but I'll take any cursor over none anyday.

9. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

How did you get the upgrade? My international note has not received any upgrade notice at all. It seems that being on the AT&T network may be hindering me. Did you have to download the upgrade from somewhere? How'd you do it?

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Download and Install Kies

Transfer, Sync & Manage Music, Movies, Photos, Contacts and Calendars with Kies

Once you have it installed, connect your galaxy note to your computer, once it syncs, it will notify you that there is a firmware update. The Fireware update will give you ICS

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.