Samsung Galaxy Note (sketching machine)

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by latinvixen, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe ICS is only rolling out for the international version only, so we're still waiting on any announcement for the AT&T version. After checking out several international note discussion boards, I haven't seen any mention as to whether ICS helps out any of the inking lag.

FWIW, I've held onto my Note after my 30 day window. I'm pretty much used to the pen lag but I don't really use it to draw anything unless I'm playing Draw Something. There are two things that I've done that have made my inking experience a little better:

1) I installed a Spigen Tempered Glass screen protector which I've found to have a lot more 'grabbiness' to it. When I use a Wacom pen with a felt nib on it combined with this protector, I feel like my handwriting has slowed down which has made the lag a little bit less noticable. It has also made my penmanship much better looking.

2) For my notetaking, I've used a program called Papyrus instead of S-Memo. Papyrus is still in beta but its pretty polished so far. I don't know what it is exactly about is exactly about it, but my handwriting looks so much neater using it compared to S-Memo. There seems to be some sort of smoothing algorithm in it and I think the pressure levels are a bit more sensitive to my tastes too.

All in all, my handwriting quality is now on par with what I had on my Motion tablets. Plus I use the Note for notetaking far more because I have it with me all the time.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Someone in the Artrage forums recently recommended Infinite Painter as their favorite paint app for Android-- even better than PS Touch or Sketchbook Pro on Android. Anyone tried this?

Would be neat to hear back about general usage once ICS finishes rolling out-- possibly filling out PDFs, taking notes, drawing, etc. My iPhone works fine for all the normal stuff, so I'm really only interested in the Note for what it brings to the table thats new.

3. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, it's a nice app indeed, thank you for sharing. I've been playing around with the trial version for a while and found it capable of being a lite ArtRage on Android. It does support pressure sensitivity. There are quite many pre-customised brushes, yet users cannot define new ones; blender brush is cool. Also, the interface is neat and intuitive. One can import photos for references or tracing as well. Cons: it doesn't come with a selection tool, there isn't any blend mode for layers either; relatively slow performance.

It's really a pity that SBP doesn't have a lasso tool like what in PS. I need that child so much so Im sketching on PS and either working further on SBP or transferring to my pc.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  4. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

Infinite painter is a very good app and is getting better. There are new updates that keep improving the programs abilities. I downloaded an update earlier this week for Sketchbook mobile that claims to add pressure sensitivity to the program, I haven't really noticed any improvement so it may be for ICS. I have the international note running on AT&T, I'm still waiting for my upgrade. I check over wifi every day but so far nothing.

5. Steve B

How's the pen lag with Infinte Painter? Is it more about the apps or the OS?

I'm also curious about filling out PDF forms and emailing them. Has anyone tried that yet?

Thirdly, I've been wanting to do simple maps in the field. Is there an app that gives you straight line and circle guides? But also let's you draw and take notes? I do that currently with SBP on my tablet pc, but it would be nice to be more mobile.

Oh, and what's the story on palm rejection? That was the other issue I and across when I tested it.

6. watchdog

You want to look at "freenote+", it has most of the features you're looking for, and I think the standard adobe pdf reader will let you do what you need to do.

7. watchdog

8. Steve B

Freenote+ looks pretty good for general note taking and (I think?) PDF filling out. Cool!

Anyone got an answer for geometric work? I need to make rough maps with squares, rectangles, different sized circles, etc. then annotate them with freehand info. I couldn't find any info if Sketchbook Pro did this on the Note, but that would be the sort I thing that would be useful-- then it could have layers too. Even more awesome would be to import a simple Jpeg of a grid for distance reference, and then draw on a layer above it. Can you do that sort of thing in SBP on the phone??

9. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

SBP on Android does have all what you need. The crucial feature it lacks is lasso tool, but i can still transform layers (no horizontal nor vertical resizing though)

10. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't been around here much since I went back to using my iPad for most of my sketching (after my defective S7S). Anyways, I needed a new phone and picked up a Galaxy Note in March. I planned on returning it after the 30 days was up, but I ended up liking it so much I kept it. It felt awkward to use my iPhone 4 afterwards.

Anyways, No ICS for the AT&T version yet, only the International version.

Infinite Painter is pretty cool and I've been using that since it appeared in the market (I use Infinite Designer as well), but Infinite Painter's UI is really quirky to me. I've had a horrid time trying to grasp it.

Favorite apps to draw with so far:

Sketchbook Mobile - just got updated to take advantage of pressure sensitivity (you have to turn it on in the settings)
    Papyrus - beta app, but really is good. I believe it's vector based which is why it has that nice smoothing.
    Infinite Painter - for when I need to play with paint effects

Overall, I'm happy with my Note. I'm eagerly awaiting ICS, but I'm not sure how much more useful ICS will make it. It seems some of these apps are catching up and able to take advantage of the s-pen even on Gingerbread.

I do wish someone would mod Adobe Ideas to work on this thing. I love that app for iOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.