Samsung Galaxy Note (sketching machine)

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by latinvixen, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Oh nice! that is great news to hear :D I can't wait for ICS!! I am trying my best not to root it either and just wait.

2. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

I got photoshop touch to work on my galaxy note and works really well. I found it here, someone modded it to work with the current OS.

Download Adobe Photoshop Touch Mod apk

Will take screen shots once I draw something on it.

3. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

4. Inked75

Inked75 Pen Pal - Newbie

You beat me to the post. I just found out about it this morning and finally got around to installing it, haven't had a chance to mess with it much but works great from what little I have played with it. Hopefully this will keep me occupied until the ics update.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Mad thanks for the link.

Already I like it more then most of the other Gingerbread art apps. Only gripe I have is the brush tool itself. Pressure does work and its quite responsive...but its fugly line work. Kind of reminds me how photoshop ran on the Slate 500.

Latinvixen, I recall that you did at one point have the thinkpad tablet. Did you ever install photoshop touch on it? I"m kind of curious if Honeycomb or ICS would effect performance at all.

Or is there some setting I'm overlooking?

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Hey,
    Now that they've said the ICS update is going to wait a bit, until next quarter, I'm trying to understand what I can get out of the Note using the current OS. Gingerbread, right? Or is it Honeycomb? I can never remember. Of course, I'm sure it works as a phone/music device/browser perfectly well. What I'm really interested in is the pen functionality and pressure sensitivity in art apps.

I want to be able to draw on it like a true mobile always-with-me sketch pad that I could then import to my tablet pc later for real work, make notes and easily accessible/organizable lists, perhaps import a pdf that I can fill out on the fly, then save and email to a client from the phone. That sort of pen stuff. Does it work for that? How well does the pen (or a tablet pc pen, which is probably what I'd really use) work with it? I'm not really interested in switching phones if I can't really use the Note for what I want to use it for.

If anyone has videos, sketches, opinions, etc. demonstrating some of this, that would be really nice to see. So far, it always seems like the reports re: functionality are that it has a lot of potential, but that people are always waiting for ICS. If that's true, then I'll probably just wait for ICS myself, before I get it.

Thanks. The device does seem very cool.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

All Wacom Penabled Tablet PC Pens work on it. I almost never use the included S-pen, I exclusivley use the Axitron Studio Pen.

For your uses with PDF's, the Note does have an iAnnotate Lite app that should allow for the editing of PDF files. Most note taking and signing requiring needs should work fine.

Art use....as I've gone into already on this thread still has a way to go.

Most apps don't have pressure of if they do its some fugly line work, lag, or general performance woes.

I say wait for ICS.

8. Steve B

I went down to the AT & T store yesterday and tried it out. Its not as big as I thought it would be from the hype, which was good. The Axiotron pen I have did indeed work, as did the eraser, as reported-- so that's a step up from the included pen.

It was, however, relatively laggy, IMO while drawing. I tried SBP Mobile and the SMemo. I had pressure sensitivity in SMemo, which was cool, but it wasn't cool enough to get a new phone over. Is the implication that some of the lag should go away with ICS? I figured a processor is a processor and it was more an issue of hardware than software, but the guy at the store (admittedly a salesman) said that the jumps right now from Android to Android OS are still so huge, and the OS system so young in general, that improvements are almost always pretty impressive.

I hope so. The device has a lot of potential, and I can clearly see some potential professional and artistic uses.

9. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got a Samsung Note which has become my 3rd wacom device I've owned. It was my 3rd trip to the store to check it out in person. The first two times I was pretty underwhelmed by the inking. On my tablet PCs, my handwriting looks like lettering you'd see in comic books, but on the Note it looks like a third grader's scrawls. On my third visit I brought my tablet PC pen that has a felt tip and it seemed to help plus I needed a new phone anyway. It feels just ever so slightly laggy to annoy me and the pressure sensitivity doesn't seem the same as my tablets. The form factor takes some getting used to as I feel there's no real place that I can place my palm comfortably and I feel like I have to be consciously aware of the palm rejection. I'll be curious to see if ICS and the new suite of apps will improve my experience. For now, I'm going to give things a thorough test drive for the next month.

10. Steve B

Ok folks,
    ICS is rolling out. I'm now curious again about this device. Is inking and lag improved at all? Are the ICS art apps significantly more impressive? I would really like to see if this device can fly or not. I saw the price dropped to 229$, which is good news. I think I could sell my Iphone4 to cover most/all of the cost, but before I go down and do my month long test drive, I'd like to here from others here who've tried it with ICS to see if the improvement is really all that.

As before, I tried it out with Gingerbread, and thought it was an interesting attempt, but not worth spending 200-300$ on as a mobile sketching/notetaking/phone device. It was just too laggy, and the apps too limited. I'm hoping this update will really re-energize the device and make it that thing I was looking for. Any reports?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.