Samsung Galaxy Note (sketching machine)

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by latinvixen, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Samsung Galaxy Note (really fun for artists)

[​IMG]
    Samsung galaxy note by latinvixen02, on Flickr

Being a fan of wacom based devices I decided to give the galaxy note a try. Got rid of most of my other devices such as the eee note and the htc view to make way for this little guy which hands down is pretty impressive. If you do not mind the size of the screen be it a tiny slate or a huge phone then you can see how much fun it can be. I found a few on craigslist so decided to grab one, not using it as a phone but more as a slate. The device itself turns into a tiny art studio in your pocket wacom pressure and all and seriously I don't know what is better in that aspect. I adore tiny drawing tablets and this one sort of fit the bill.

[​IMG]

and how it actually looks when I emailed the file to myself

[​IMG]

Had it for almost 2 full days and already plan on keeping it as I like what I can do. I am taking notes on it now instead of the eee note that I am currently selling on ebay. Sketching when I am bored out and about and just using it like a tablet in the house if I want an android system instead of IOS.

[​IMG]

So the s-pen, the supplied pen is fine but this tablet really shines when you play with a tablet pc pen on it. Shows more pressure and the eraser at the end of most tablet pc pens that are wacom based is handy and really nice. I get a better grip from a larger pen compared to the small supplied one. But with that being said I got the extender on the s pen and works really nice as well.

[​IMG]

At the moment the one app that really shows pressure is the notes app. Waiting on ICS so I can install sketchbook pro and take full advantage of the pressure it has to offer in a small device such as this.

If you have the time, be sure to play with one of these are your local at&t store. I was impressed with it at CES though I only played with it briefly but I knew I had to have it. If you want a larger screen and a mobile device then wait for the galaxy note 10.1 which should be the same but bigger.

With that being said my initial view on the device is that I like it. Handy and fantastic that is still fits in my purse, the pen has a sylo and I can sit around and sketch anywhere without worrying that my palm will interfere with me drawing. I am really enjoying this device. No more click clacks like the n trig pen hitting the screen. Wacom provides a quiet sketching experience.

Will provide a video soon and keep adding to my flickr as I keep working with the device.

Samsung Galaxy Note - a set on Flickr

ps: sorry I always default to animals when testing these tablets ;P

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That's very cool. I've been super interested in this, but have been waiting for ICS to come along before I pick one up. It would be very nice to see it "in hand" with you drawing on it with the normal size Wacom tablet pc pen-- I made a mockup, yes, but it'd just be nice to understand how small (or how big for that matter) the screen really is, in a real usage pattern. I'm also excited to see how it performs with more powerful art apps like the SBP one.

What's the story on setting up canvas sizes? Is it dictated by the res of hte screen? If so, what is the res? I forget, but I remember it being pretty high. And do you know if any sort of flexbility on that front changes between the current OS and ICS? Not that I need to be working on HUGE canvases, but sure, it'd be nice to zoom in, do some nice detail work, zoom out, etc. and work on something larger, etc. Oh, and on that note, can you pinch zoom, then draw, pinch zoom, etc.? Or is that an ICS thing?

As for the animals. Eh, I don't mind! :D It's just nice to see some work done that reflects the qualities of the pressure sensitivity.

Also have to say that I like the very simple little "case" you've got with the flap. I had thought of some sort of very simple wallet version of that, or, at the least, something gently rigged to hold a full sized Wacom pen. I've got a thin Axiotron pen that's just begging to get used on something like this. :)

3. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

I will take a video, probably this weekend to show you how the pen works on the screen and how I work with the device (will show the small pen and the large pen). I will need to check the resolution to see the size of the notes exported over, as I was drawing all these in the notes app. The big plus about the notes app is you can zoom in while drawing so you can get as much or as little detail as you want. For example the htc flyer and view did not allow zooming in the notes app which kinda killed it for me. Thought I was able to do all sorts of fun stuff on sketchbook pro. I am waiting for sketchbook pro and ICS update which hopefully should be soon. I know sketchbook pro tends to dictate picture size by screen resolution or so that is how I have heard it works. If that is the case when sketchbook pro rolls out for it it should create a canvas that is 1280 by 800 which is not bad for a device of this size.

I am patiently waiting for ICS to roll out in the next month or too, as rumors point to it but who knows. In the mean time I will keep testing and see what stuff I find in the galaxy note.

As for the case I got the phone missing a back case. So I wanted a back case and front flap to protect the tablet/phone while in my purse. At&t had these cases in white and black and worked out so well. Slim and just easy. I like that it protects the screen but I can easily fold it over to hold so I can sketch without a problem.

4. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I've also thought one could sketch out portions of a landscape or each complete figure of a larger ensemble one at a time, saving and making a new doc each time. Then drop them in as layers later on, and build what will eventually be a larger completed image at a higher res. I wonder if there are any good ICS art apps that allow for a transparent background, or just export as png. That would be exceptionally helpful for the types of sketches one might on a device such as the Note.

Oh, and how does the flap stay closed?

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I got the Galaxy Note as well. As well, I'm also really waiting for ICS so I can throw Photoshop Touch and Sketchbook Pro on it.

I've tried almost every Gingerbread Art App....and its not good....but Gingerbread was never really designed for pen use anyway, and all the Art Apps kind of predate the Note, so its not really the Notes Fault. Once more developers have more time to work with the SDK, hopefully we will see a vast improvement in the art apps department.

Here's my rundown on the Gingerbread Art Apps

S-Memo - not an art app specifically, but it functions better then most of the other art specific apps. It has zoom and Pressure, but I find its not that responsive with small brushes and small strokes.

Drawing Pad - Is Pressure Sensitive....but no Zoom, and really limited selection of brush options. As far as I can tell, you can't even make brushes bigger or any modification really.

Fresco - No Pressure, but you have Pinch Zoom, Layers, and even an in-use cursor. This would be the best art app for Gingerbread if not for its really buggy brush engine. When you sketch with it, it kind of anti-Analise/corrects your lines....which conceptually is kind of nice...but in application its horribly annoying since it moves your lines right after you sketch them.

SketchBook Mobile - No pressure, the brush strokes tend to look vectorized, and there is a pretty bad lag to it. (I've noticed the same lag on the Kindle Fire and Droid2) The Android application of SBM is just a really poor port. And maybe its because of the lag, but I think the invisible cursor it kind of off. I come off using the app thinking it desperately needs to be calibrated. Only real hope is that Sketchbook Pro fixes these issues. (I Hope)

Zen Brush - Has Pressure, no Zoom, next to no modifiers (not even colors)....and Horrendous Lag....but oddly once you get used to and expect the lag....it is kind of fun using this app because of the super sensitive pressure.

OmniSketch - Very buggy...the top toolbar is very unresponsive..but it doesn't really have regular brushes....only these texture styled brushes. Like one from the brush menu looks like a hard round brush, but it just leaves a trail of dots, like the spacing is set to super high, but theres no way to change that. On the plus side, it does have pressure.

Sketch n Draw - No zoom, no pressure...and a really weird drawing engine....by no means as simple as its name would suggest.

Paint Up - experimental kind of app...not really designed for regular drawing/painting.

Magic Doodle - Brush Engine Vectors alot....but its the only App I've seen that actually has a magic wand tool....and it kind of blatantly rips off Sketchbook Mobile with the 6-circle button.

Doodle Droid - No Pressure....it has Zoom....but not pinch zoom. It has a Smudge Tool, but that doesn't make up for a piss poor brush engine.

7. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

On the subject of photoshop touch I thought that it would only work on screens 8.9 inches and above. I was not able to install it on my HTC evo view because of the screen size issue.

Or have they changed that? Or is it dependent on being android 3.1 and above only? If so I will be very happy to install that too :D

Thanks for the heads up on the apps, trying some of those out now.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

...****.....I didn't know there was a screen size requirment....I though just Android 3.1 and up :(

9. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

This is the info I had seen before for Photoshop Touch for Android:

"Android 3.1 and up, requires 8.9-inch screen with 1280x800 min resolution"

Though I am wondering if it would work for the note seeing as we have that resolution and we will be getting ICS. Maybe it will just look a bit smaller which personally I can live with that. My guess is the resolution is more important than actual screen size, hopefully. I know that the htc evo view I had, the resolution was a bit lower than that minimum and it did not work on honeycomb.

10. Inked75

Inked75 Pen Pal - Newbie

From what I read on XDA-Developers a few guys were running photoshop touch on the note running ICS roms. I'm trying to patiently wait for the official ICS release and not tinker with rooting it, but I have never been very patient so who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.