Samsung Galaxy Note 9 + Dex + Wacom Cintiq = <3

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by mrpentastic, Nov 25, 2018.

1. mrpentastic

mrpentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

Just thought Id share my interesting setup.

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 during Black Friday this weekend and was eager to test out the Samsung Dex capabilities. I originally had wanted to use Samsung Dex as a way to edit Figma files on the go without having to carry a laptop around. Once I got that set up and working flawlessly, I wondered what else I could do with the USB-C port and Dex functionality. So I then purchased a USB-C hub that had the following ports: 1 HDMI, 3 USB 3.0, 1 Ethernet...

Using the USB-C hub, I connected my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 to my Wacom Cintiq 27QHD w/Touch (This used up the single HDMI port and one USB 3.0 port). I then connected my logitech mouse and keyboard into the remaining two USB 3.0 ports. With everything connected, I used my mouse to launch Artflow Studio onto my Wacom Cintiq display. Then I grabbed my Wacom Stylus and put it onto the screen and VIOLA! I got not only full-pressure sensitivity I also got full multi-touch capabilities to zoom in/out, rotate, and pan the canvas! Whattttt.

The real test will come next, "Can my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 completely replace my desktop pc?" We'll have to wait and see~

(This post was created entirely using the Dex setup described above)

Feel free to ask me any questions!

YVerloc, stoneseeker, djas and 5 others like this.
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry, I can't help myself. (See username)

Cool setup though. It's amazing what smartphones are turning into. and-just-like-that-viola.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Tams, YVerloc and Kumabjorn like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

wow....I never knew the Android OS could support a Cintiq in that capacity. And since Wacom doesn't have any Android Drivers for the Cintiqs....its even more impressive that everything worked without issue.

4. mrpentastic

mrpentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's an extra gem. I discovered in infinite painter, you get tilt support with the Wacom Stylus! It behaves like the Apple Pencil in the way that you can select a simple brush with a fine tip, but as you tilt the stylus you'll gradually get a wider tip. The width of the tip in relation to the tilt is surprisingly smooth, feels like you are in full control.

YVerloc likes this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

This post feels like a glimpse into the future of computing. We will probably always have need of larger tools to do our jobs effectively, (ie. a large canvas to draw on, or a large screen to dock to) but the PC's pf the future will most likely be all-in-one tiny devices we take with us everywhere that can power those tools with ease. Thanks for sharing @mrpentastic !

YVerloc and darkmagistric like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In essence we’re already there.....with 4/6/8 GB of Ram being more common in smart phones.....coupled with Mobile chips rivaling Intels i5’s in power (cough Apple).....Phones are kind of already at the power spec class of a laptop/ultrabook.

WillAdams, YVerloc and stoneseeker like this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The interesting this is it's a full on realization of two previous computing concepts / projects:

- IBM's Metacard (pretty much totally vanished --- it was mentioned in print in a couple of computing magazines)
    - Oqo (made by a couple of Apple Engineers who left when Apple wouldn't make a tablet Mac) --- since actual hardware was sold, there's a bit on it when one searches