Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Launching Soon Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Michael Wall, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Wall

Michael Wall TechnologyGuide Staff Reviewer

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've been ready for almost a year. Let's get going already Sammy! This money is burning a hole in my wallet!

3. Fishface

Fishface Scribbler - Standard Member

Too late for me! My money is now reserved for a Windows 8 slate. Don't worry Sammy there's a good chance I'll still be buying a Samsung product, just not an android.

4. Shogmaster

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Shog, what's the real world benefits of rooting something like this? Ive never done that before. Is the idea
    That you could then run any version of li us you wanted on it? If so, can you run Windows programs in Linux? I feel like that's something that can be done....???? Mostly, trying to understand the benefits of rooting.

6. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

The main reason to root is to run custom ROMs. Some devs will customize the software to do things they wish it did in the first place. But when you have root, you have complete control over your system. For better or worse (in most cases).

I rooted my galaxy note phone, but my experience with ROMs was pretty poor and I went back to stock because it was a much better experience.

Sent from my Excite 7.7

7. cmenice

Samsung just dropped this video on YouTube. All the info except when it's available ;)

Galaxy Note 10.1 Overview - YouTube

It really looks stellar for Android.

What really sticks out is they specifiy that the Note has 1024 levels of pressure!!!!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. Shogmaster

I'm willing to bet that 1024 level figure is a mistake on their marketing department's info.

9. cmenice

Could very well be a mistake. But why can't the wacom tech start updating for tablets and tablet PC's?

Wasn't 1024 levels back on the intuos 3? Would be nice if they started using the newer tech.

Sent from my AT270 using Tapatalk 2

10. Shogmaster

UD series never went beyond 512 levels. They were 256 on battery (Penabled) and 512 (Cintiq 15X~18SX) on AC power, with the only exception being the Axitoron Modbook @ 512 because they wanted marketing differentiation from Tablet PCs half the cost and had Wacom write them special firmware for their boards. Even their current $2000 UD based "interactive displays" only have 512 levels of pressure.

The pressure level is controlled by the board, not the pen. Can the Note 10.1 have firmware that allows for 1024? That would require Wacom writing a new one that allows it for the very first time. I have very hard time seeing Wacom doing that. It would directly eat into 12WX sales with equal pressure levels on paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.