Samsung Galaxy Chromebook (2020)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

There is sort of a market, at least in the US with the education sector, but that's really about it.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

yeah...it’s somewhat big in the US....in part because of the education market....but I do find it somewhat perplexing. Most Chromebook's are quite expensive.....or kind of big and clunky....or both. Given how equivalent the chrome OS is to Android....you’d think Chromebooks would be super cheap and super thin.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If this thing ran Windows, it could be a Spectre x360 13" killer:

Nice construction...and with a siloed EMR pen with 4K OLED. Now this is my kind of thin-and-light!

DigitalTrends has more details:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

"The Galaxy Chromebook includes a 49.2 watt-hour battery...with a 10th-gen U-series chip...

Samsung says it’s the thinnest Chromebook ever made, at just 0.39 inches. That’s astoundingly thin. It’s 38% thinner than a MacBook Air, tying the Acer Swift 7 in size. It’s also a completely fanless device...

It’s made entirely out of aluminum, and it resisted flexing and bending no matter how I handled it...There, you’ll find two USB-C ports (one on either side), a headphone jack, a volume rocker, a Micro SD card slot, and the slot for the built-in stylus...

At 2.3 pounds, it’s lighter than the Surface Pro 7 with the Type Cover attached, and 0.1 pounds lighter than the Pixelbook...

The Samsung Galaxy Chromebook starts at $999, making it the only Chromebook to match the Pixelbook in price. This configuration comes with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, though it can be upgraded to up to 16GB of RAM and a terabyte of storage."

Time to hit up those XDA devs and get a custom Windows ROM made for this. :D

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

And it does the Yoga thing! Looks pretty great. But yeah, Win10 please.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Exactly. Why can't this 3:2 yoga be 15" and EMR? That'd be badass.

8. darkmagistric

um....they already have that coming out. This is just a red/chrome equivalent of the Win 10 Galaxy Book Flex. They basically have the same design. Spec's aside, the Flex is just 3 MM thicker. But as is the devices look like brother and sister. I kind of rather like the nice contrasting yet complimentary Blue and Red color scheme.

flex vs chrome.jpg

Tams, nnthemperor, JoeS and 1 other person like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Dear Samsung, please swap in the 4K OLED panel for Windows version and leave the new-fangled 1080p QLED for those intrepid Chrome OSers please. :D

10. darkmagistric

Yeah....thats the one main issue I have with the windows one too. 1080p is kind of a low res for 2020.....no doubt that will be more problematic with the 15 inch model. If I had to guess.....it was probably for battery reasons. Android/Chrome sip so much less power then full Windows 10....between the battery sucking EMR field.....they probably figured they could net a better battery life by keeping the Win 10 model at 1080p.