Samsung Galaxy Book not holding up Time for a new device.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Jun 7, 2020.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Now that I have put the SGB12 in the daily rotation with the ultimate (complete) death of the SP5. It is showing itself not up to the task.

It runs ridiculously hot, and is now have intermittent disconnects from the wifi, being unable to connect for long periods of time, when other devices remain connected without issue.

So now the search begins what will be my new device. Kind of uninterested in the form factor of the Surface Pro and Samsung Galaxy Book and thinking I might go the route of a laptop, something repairable... With a fan...

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

You just can't catch a break! My next device (pray, no time soon!) is going to be a ThinkPad, Latitude or Elitebook. Best discounts found on ThinkPad, but you have to wait. You might want to consider mfr refurbished - much cheaper an far less likely to get a lemon. I recently researched and pleasantly found TP X1 recent refreshes have very high owner satisfaction levels, after some really bad years. Elitebook Dragonfly very light and powerful, but very expensive; haven't checked for refurbs. Good luck - you're due!

JoeS and DRTigerlilly like this.
  3. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, my GB12 too seemingly began running the fans all the time... I wonder if something got clogged with dust... but you can't exactly open these things up to see. And it also seems to be the weakest device when it comes to WiFi connections out of all my electronics...

I took the very jump that you just described... a 2018 Samsung Notebook 9 15" that I found a good deal on. It feels gigantic/heavy compared to the 12, even though it is only 2" wider and 1 pound heavier. And, it seems that every part of the notebook is replaceable. I also really like having a stowed S-pen, and being able to easily type on my lap again. If you're looking for something sized like the GB12, maybe the 13" version would be good. I got the 15" just to have discrete graphics.

thatcomicsguy and DRTigerlilly like this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Noooo, one of the last slate diehards on the forums finally giving up the banner? :(

I already feel like a near-extinct breed of pure x86 slate users...after the Surface Pro supposedly revived the genre. OEMs are already shrugging off the pure slate form-factor, and saying the convertible is "good enough" a tablet.

But it's not I tell you!

There's nothing like holding a sleek slab of power, unburdened by extraneous flippy mechanisms. Just you, your pen, and a gorgeous screen. The way computing was meant to be! :D

Don't leave, Tiger! You know those boneheads at Samsung are going to use this an "I told you so, we were so right to neuter the Galaxy Book slate and turn it into a banal (not-even-touch) laptop. That's what everyone wants..." Grr! :mad:

lovelaptops and JoeS like this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

I need companies that stand behind their products and Microsoft is not it.

I found it most telling when they offered a refurb for the machine that was having issues and when I asked if I could add a warranty they said no.

All the other OEM'S stand behind their refurbs and offer full warranties on them.

It is particularly telling that Microsoft won't and I am tired.

Also there is no love lost between me and the ever fraying type covers.

wytn likes this.
  7. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you checked Task Manager to see if there are any processes or apps hogging CPU cycles and causing heating (and perhaps even disconnects from WiFi)? Just in case your GB can be saved.

8. DRTigerlilly

Thanks Lisa I will check that

MobileTechReview likes this.
  9. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you looked at the new Samsung Flex? It's basically the Samsung Book? I have the 940X5M version. Adobe products have been dogging these days. I'm curious what you are thinking of getting. Are you also looking for EMR?