Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Someone Please talk me out of getting the galaxy book. It's looking ideal for my mobile light duty needs. 8 gb ram and emr in 3:2 sounds nice. Desktop software! ports! I hope the battery life is good, but even my old iPad Pro 12.9 only got 4-6 hours before it was dead (I killed it many times in four hours!) Ill be surprised if the Samsung can beat that.

It will Be interesting if the Samsung can replace my iPad Pro as my go everywhere tablet. iOS is so smooth and responsive, but I often get annoyed with the app centered workflow. Perhaps I'm taking it for granted. It will be nice to see what is I prefer for light duty productivity and content creation, iOS vs windows 10.

2. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

I've done so many side by side tests, after being questioned by fan boys on YouTube, and for my hand I only get pixel level accuracy on emr. The Apple Pencil is close, offers a bit more accuracy at the edges, which is nice on a small screen. However a properly calibrated cintiq works much better for me. No accuracy issues at all- because of the cursor. Sure emr would suck without a cursor , that is true. But I can grab a pixel sized guide line in photoshop easily. On the iPad it mite take a few tries to ink an eyelash or something. I usually need to zoom in to get accurate like on my iPad Pro.

Sorry u had problems with your cintiq, mine has been flawless for years. Using touch on windows 10 workstation is a joy. The companions are a different story.

I can draw just fine on my iPad Pro , I've got close to 300 drawings in Procreate. I just don't like the Pencil much after over a year and a half (I still get touch and gesture glitches) it's a Great tablet , annoying Pencil, annoying OS. It's Underpowered for my work. It's a love hate relationship, but now that I think about it I feel that way with all my tablets, just in different ways. It feels nothing like real drawing, it feels exactly like drawing on slick glass. I have never understood all the praise it gets.

I'm hoping the Samsung has a quality feel, like a cintiq, that will make a big difference for me as I spend allot of time drawing every day. But if it does not I'll call Samsung out too.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    DRTigerlilly and WillAdams like this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Sorry can't talk you out of it, the potential for knowledge and the gadget envy are too great :p

4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

On the EMR vs everything else debate, I am with Marty.

The only stylus outside a Wacom Pen or S Pen that I would recommend is the Apple Pencil.

But..

The Apple Pencil has no hover cursor and I find that severely limiting for any tool larger than and Pencil. Also every time I am in a meeting with someone using an Apple Pencil, they ALWAYS have to sync and charge the thing first, before using it. Meanwhile while waiting I have already finished using my sPen on my Samsung.

Yeh the Apple Pencil is labelled correctly, it makes a great pencil, but a lousy brush.

PS. I am finding the Tab S3 with Infinite Painter and Nougat to be the best it has ever been for mobile art creation.

Peace.

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Honestly, @Azzart I don't believe you are a fanboy...just a very good artist!

I don't believe most people have that level of hand-eye coordination to achieve almost pixel precision with the tip blocking the view as you can do.

But you have piqued my curiosity. I will go back to test the Pencil accuracy...but something tells me the "magic" as actually in your hand. ;)

What's making you hesitate? I think the GB12 basically all the advantages of the iPadPro, but allows you run desktop software and without the inconveniences you mentioned (stupid stylus charging interface, 4GB memory limit, etc.)

Regarding battery life vs iPad Pro, well I have feeling your drawing regimen under mobile is quite a bit more sophisticated than average, leading to a much heavier burden on the A9X processor and iOS software in general.

Whereas a Core i5 and desktop software is actually right at the sweet-spot in terms power/performance for your needs.

So yes, the IPP has better baseline power efficiently, but under heavy drawing load the net % battery drain equalizes and you end up with same 4-5 hours of drawing time, which is what I would expect from the GB12.

...but here's one power-saving tip, that you can't do on other tablets: dark theme. Every black pixel on an OLED saves power (as much as 41% less overall power drain!). Personally, I can't wait to restyle my whole Windows UI and drawing apps to enjoy perfect-contrast, perfect-black, power-saving, OLED goodness. :D

And you know what? Even if I could come up with a reason why you shouldn't get the GB12...you're still gonna get it! Right? :p

We are all tech-lusters at heart and any new tool that promises to fulfill our stylus desires—we will not be able to resist. ;)

DaniJoy and DRTigerlilly like this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Uhm, I don't think the ipad pro 12.9 can reach 4-5 hours of drawing when I'm working seriously. Probably 3 to 4 being optimistic.

5 hours I think the Surface Book is the only "tablet" I tested that can deliver that much painting time during a real work day. :)
    Today I reached 8 hours and 32%battery left, but I was only using a small pencil brush.

DaniJoy likes this.
  7. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I have been able to get over 8hrs drawing time from my 32gb Wacom Companion Hybrid. Pretty sure my Tab 10.1 A 2016 can do over 8hrs.

DaniJoy likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Yeah but at what canvas and brushes size?
    As said, one thing is painting on a relatively small file with small and simple brushes, another one is working on, say, an A3 at 600dpi with large and complex brushes. As far as I can remember only clover paint (and maybe medibang paint?) can have a file size larger than 4096x4096?
    There are things that simply taxes the cpu more while working big.
    My canvases on the ipad tend to usually be at its limits in terms on memory and resources, it's normal it doesn't have the battery life of the average user.

DaniJoy likes this.
  9. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Has anyone heard how pre-orders are going? I signed up at both the consumer and business sites to be contacted about pre-orders, and NEITHER ONE has ever contacted me. But for reading about pre-orders opening, it is like Samsung is oblivious to its sales department.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.