Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ah, so you're saying the fat round tip allows the contact point to "roll" with the tilt of the pen. Whereas the nib-style point, will deviate from the cursor with tilt.

I've tested this with both N-Trig and EMR before. If you hold the pen upright and begin to tilt keeping the tip fixed, I've found the cursor only starts to shift visibly after ~30 degrees of tilt. The shift is also very small...does it really affect you that much?

With the pencil, while the contact point always matches, the fat tip can block the view of the contact point at certain angles.

I still think that for pixel-perfect selection the nib+cursor with EMR will be more precise than an fat tip+no cursor setup. Too bad we cannot test this Apple AES with desktop programs...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    artistebot likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'm not sure why people define the Pencil tip "fat": yeah it's conical but the point itself isn't really much bigger than the Surface Pen. for comparison, the Intuos/Cintiq pen has a much more obstructive tip shape overall, so much it made me unscrew it.

The Surface pen will shift. maybe not much if you tilt in the direction you use most (in my case toward 2:00/3:00) but try going tilting upward toward 1:00 or down to 6:00 o'clock. I have yet to see a calibration with the surface pen that works well in all directions.
    The Cintq pen instead doesn't show this problem in my experience.
    I can't say anything about the new Pro Pen2 but if they reduced the air gap and cursor offset near the edges it's probably the best of the lot.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  3. Marty

I think I (and of a few others on this forum) hate the "fat" Cintiq pens too... :p I have ripped off the rubber grip on all my Grip Pens to slim the barrel close to a UD pen.

Basically in my work studio, only "thin" models allowed. :D

I may be extreme, but I prefer "precision-metal" feel on my tools, like Japanese drafting pencils:

[​IMG]
    (But I know they will probably never make a digitizer pen like this.... :()

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

As you can see at the pictures below, taken with my former SP4 pen, the cursor stays under the tip only when the pen is upright, but when you tilt the stylus the cursor moves and stops being under the contact point of the nib with the glass. The displacement of the cursor when tilting the pen is more accentuate in the case of the N-Trig than in the case of the AES Wacoms I've tried so far.

Regarding the Apple pencil, I guess this lost of accuracy is attenuated by de fact that, because of its rounded tip, when you tilt de pen the contact point with the glass moves towards the position where the stroke appears; I don't know for sure. But in any case, the stroke appears where one expects it to be.

Attached Files:

Azzart and Marty like this.
  5. Marty

That's great picture @bierot! Yeah, the offset becomes more pronounced with N-Trig after 30 degrees. At ~45 degrees, there is ~1mm offset as your picture shows.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to, by the round fat tip "rolling with the tilt" of the pen.

But the Apple round tip won't solve the problem of hitting a pixel-wide target, because the tip will block your view of the target. Imagine trying to poke the blue line in your picture exactly centered with a fat tip...it will be very difficult.

The only reliable way to hit a small target is to use the hover cursor, because:

1) the hover cursor is not affected by glass thickness and viewing angle
    2) the cursor is only a few pixels wide and does not block your view of the target
    3) the cursor changes icon to tell you are in position over small UI handles

Unfortunately, N-Trig AES hover is unreliable, so these advantages go away...which I why I say EMR hover is best for detailed, precise work in desktop graphics programs.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    artistebot and WillAdams like this.
  6. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Oh please this, what is this fan boy crap? o_O All digital devices have a weird disconnect because of the screen gap. I enjoy and owned 2 iPad pro's since they came out , the Pencil is alright. It annoys me for inking but is good enough for value styles like the Pencil brushes and paint brushes. pixel level accuracy? Not in my experience. Only a cursor can do that. But honestly most users don't need pixel accuracy and the iPad has no apps I have seen that need that level of precision.

I recently did a project with a master draftsman. Retired anatomy teacher from art center Pasadena and art institute SF, the guy has IMDb credits for animated movies and tv shows. I Had him drawing on the iPad and the Cintiq 27 for animated drawings of ballet dancers. He commented on the lack of accuracy of the iPad Pro. Leaky pen feel and slick screen. All he wanted to draw on was the cintiq. He didn't even try out the MSP with Pro pen 2. It's even better IMO. All is not perfect in Apple land. We tried to split up the workflow , but the iPad could not do the job . iOS gave me some issues and I gave up and fired up both cintiqs. Problem solved. Real OS to the rescue.

Me personally, I prefer the emr and a cursor for drawing. But I'm sure I could get used to the Apple Pencil if it was all I drew on. It's more than good enough , well except I need desktop software sometimes, and only 4gb ram is pretty small for some of my projects.

But, I carry my iPad Pro everywhere. Such a good tablet. It's Fun and easy to use. My 9.7 has amazing battery life. I think that size is the sweet spot for Apple and iOS. But, everyone has different needs so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Fanboy for what? Because I said the Pencil is accurate and precise all over the screen? That's a fact not an opinion.
    You can say you can't draw with it because of the slipperiness and that's fine, it's a sujective matter but it doesn't change the fact that if I want to hit a very small target on the screen it's an easy task even without the cursor and if you took the cursor away from a Cintiq 27 or a Cintiq Companion it wouldn't be that easy. (Besides, the Cintiq 27 touch can frankly go to hell for all the hours it made me lose trying to make it work correctly)

Naaah, it won't. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Marty likes this.
  8. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad to know I was not the only one that did that. I personally unscrewed the tip of my Cintiq and 911 pens, that way I have uglier but, at least, more comfortable for work pens.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
    Marty likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To chime in on the current apple pencil debate......The Apple Pencil I find myself in love/hate relationship with. I really do enjoy drawing with it........heck I'm traveling thru the UK right now and I brought my ipad pro/Pencil along with my Pro 3 only because I prefer drawing on the Ipad Pro over the Pro 3 that much.........but the 2gb ram ceiling I hit so easily and there are times when I just wish I could use full feature software or have windows explorer/USB access.....instead of cloud saving which takes time and the files can't be too large, etc.......it gets the drawing bit done....but iOS just screws everything else in the workflow.

However....I suspect the Apple Pencil only works so well because its designed for iOS. I purchased the Duet Display Pro.....and using my Ipad Pro/Pencil as a Cintiq to my Pro 3.......it wasn't nearly the same kind of drawing experience as on the Ipad Pro itself. But iOS.....limits everything....resolution, how big pictures can be,etc I can't help but feel....should Apple properly open the Apple Pencil to an OSX device....I think the Apple Pencil may demonstrate alot more shortcomings. Like with iOS it feels fantastic.....but on OSX/Windows.....it might feel more at home with N-trig/AES

I'm hoping the Galaxy Book 10.6.......(despite its shortcomings) will essentially replace both my Ipad Pro and Surface Pro 3.....portable....long battery life....small but adequate size, and great pen performance.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Still no model of either the GB 10 or 12 in BestBuy. We have a fairly large Samsung display area too. Way to promote preorders.:vbrolleyes: