Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh yeah, you're right! Thanks for mentioning it, I forgot they'll be on the MS Store. I am a student, so, we shall see. I'll probably still wait though, since there is no rush.

2. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

While I see your point, this probably wouldn't be subject to so much skepticism if there were more affordable options in between. You could say in the current climate it suffices for businessmen and casual users as the TPC market always has... However, those of us who really are passionate about the pen tech, it's really quite a shame that it always comes with a caveat: high prices or subpar other features. I really liked the Tab A at 300, but mobile apps are average at best along with 16 GB storage. Might as well just use the 300 dollars toward a Cintiq alternative and even then you face possible driver issues. (Or if you don't need the pen at all, just get a laptop or some other basic tablet.) It's overall disheartening.

If Samsung wants to sell this at a premium price, then it should be a premium product, and by all the accounts here, it still falls short for some basic expectations. That's why we are holding back.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok, I understand your guys' view, but allow me one point. There's a big difference between:

1) Not buying (or waiting to buy only through special discount channels)
    2) Buying right at launch (full MSRP) and then later returning (if you decide it's not worth it)

When OEMs look at the data, they'll see 1) as low demand/failed launch, but they'll see 2) as high demand/interest, with a need to focus on customer retention.

The customer retention aspect will encompass all the details that we actually want Samsung to address: lack of kickstand, more RAM, etc. etc. It will make them want to investigate how to make a product better, rather than lose interest entirely.

So I say: if you're interested...Buy now! :p Write about all the positives and negatives! All this will signal consumer demand in the product category...

Then decide if it's worth it, and return at your own discretion. That's the great thing about living in the modern consumer economy!

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

TPCR Life Hack #763: One other lesser known advantage to dstraussing is it proven to improve your credit score:
    Source:
    https://www.quora.com/Can-you-build-credit-by-buying-a-product-and-then-returning-it

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Neve likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No. Samsung is not Microsoft or Apple in the high stakes high quality game -yet. They can't go pricing themselves at that top end of the market. I love EMR, and really do want a single ecosystem between smartphone/tablet/computer...but they have to be reasonable. Giving Verizon a one month exclusive, even ahead of non-cellular models, is absurd. As others have noted above, a 30 day pre-order delay is also absurd. No GSM tablets for pre-order and LTE cancelled on the GB10.6. Why do I have this sneaking suspicion they are either putting their resources into WOA, or are just biding their time with DeX and enhancement of MS Office for Android...

sonichedgehog360 and Neve like this.
  6. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

You make a compelling argument lol! :D But still, isn't there obviously a demand if they are making this product at all? They've seen the success of the Surface. If they do things that are comparably less feature rich than the Surface (minus the EMR) at a higher cost and have a failed launch, wouldn't that be pretty evident to change something too? I think that would result regardless if people buy + return or not buy at all if the competition sells better.

I'm not saying I won't give it a try at full price, but with no initial incentives to this preorder, I don't have to rush out and get it right away either ha ha.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What's "WOA"? "Wacom on Android"..?

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Windows on ARM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Rule #1: Never assume OEMs have common sense. :D

I swear something magical happens in the boardroom where common sense evaporates and all that's left is arcane statistics and graphs (that nobody at the table fully understands) leading somehow to a final product decision (that nobody at table fully understands :p)...

Let's just say after the back-to-back debacles of the Ativ Q and Tab Pro S, it is a downright miracle that Samsung somehow ended up putting an EMR digitizer and 8GB and Core i5 into the refresh—or even made a refresh at all.

Samsung has been lukewarm about the PC market in general (mobile is where $$$ are at); they had to arm-wring Wacom into 3:2; and then they had listen to carefully to feedback and not make tragic cost-cutting "improvements" like stripping out the digitizer, removing the microSD, going with Core M only, etc, etc.

We are friggen' lucky to have a spec-for-spec true Surface Pro challenger emerge from the rubble of two failed product launches and a near-exit from the PC market (oh and did mention—friggen' 3:2 EMR?!)

There's unicorn dust in the air, people!

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Marty, I highly recommend reading the book Seeing What's Next by acclaimed Harvard economics professor Clayton Christensen. It details three areas where one or more of these must be sufficiently and properly addressed by a given product or service to realize any significant level of success:
    I am of the opinion the Galaxy Book is being directly targeted to groups 2 and 3, but it is resulting in dissuading those consumers who fall under both the underserved and the overserved camps by not meeting the minimum established standards of quality (including those of screen resolution, port offerings, and storage technology) which they have come to expect for its unusually high premium price range. We must critically ask ourselves who, besides the very few diehard EMR adherents who value it disproportionately more than other features, will be attracted to the Galaxy Book at its current pricing.

I am of the firm conclusion based on the repeated mum and deadened responses from even many of our more avid members, including likely our most avid member @dstrauss, that the Galaxy Book is not appropriately targeting its premium price sector. Until pricing is adequately lowered to reflect the consumer's interpretation of the product's true value, the Galaxy Book will persist at failing to meet required sales targets even if our entire forum attempted buying and returning it as you recommend.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017