Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The S-Pen is a branch of Wacom EMR, at least on Android. I'm curious how much of the Android differences will make it back onto Windows. For example, when you unsheathe the pen in Android, the OS automatically senses it and automatically displays a radial menu. The pen sensor itself is located in a different spot than on other EMR pens, making it incompatible without a calibration utility.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Color me paranoid, but the Galaxy Book 10.6 has now disappeared from the BB website...

3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea that is really weird for sure that its not on BB site. also weird that BB for the SB12 only has the entry level one listed for preorder and not the 8/256 one.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

AFAIK those are software implementations on Android. I've seen similar implementations with Wacom pens on Windows Tablets. (for example sensing if the pen is in the silo or not) The length of the nibs, distance of the sensor from the end? of the pens are the things that contribute to offset, and I've actually seen users modify other wacom pens to play nice with Samsung Tablet & Note devices. (I actually suspect why the S-Pen has a shorter nib, shorter body is to remove parallax on devices that don't have calibration software to offset those issues, and it also made them able to make the devices thinner.)

The "S-Pen" to me is branding...yes they have done software implementations to expand the functionality..but whether or not it's a subset of Wacom EMR I'm not convinced.

EDIT on further thought...it is a subset of Wacom EMR...of which there are varying levels of functionality.

I think Wacom made a calculated decision when Tablet PC's first came out, that they didn't want those to have the same functionality as their professional pens, as it would cannibalize their product.

However with Samsung essentially having a stake in the company, and wanting to off course differentiate their product (which I think they've primarily done via software) more of the pro functionality has been creeping into the Samsung line of products.

I take issue with the term S-Pen technology, b/c I primarily see the S-Pen as Samsung branding of Wacom EMR....

END RANT...:oops:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Bronsky likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Looks like there's no reason to prefer BestBuy.

[​IMG]

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Exactly, that's why I called it Spen instead of just EMR pen, because although it's EMR like the others, Samsung made modifications that allowed it to reduce parallax and have higher pressure levels, that is, compared to the old "penabled" EMR technology, not referring to their top of the line Intuos-Cintiq Wacom technology. As many of us who have a Galaxy Note phone or tablet know, regular "penabled" pens like the ones on the photos I posted also work on Galaxy Note phones or tablets, it's just that the parallax is much worse than on the tablets they were designed for, that's why I hope that Samsung releases a more functional pen with an additional button and eraser, but I have a bad feeling that that will not be in their priorities.

I don't mind the extra pressure leves (in fact in all the 20 years I've been using wacom tablets I have never noticed any appreciable difference in that regard, that is, from the top of the line products like the UD-ARTZ tablets from the nineties until the recent Intuos, but it was very appreciable on their cheaper products like the Volito or the Graphire, that used a different kind of EMR technology) but I do mind the extra parallax that makes the old pens unusable on Spen designed screens.

I'm waiting for any of you guys to test the tablet and the old pens on it, I hope it lives up to the expectations.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You know how much I LOVE BB (and they love me back :mad:) and this is so vintage them - the device was NEVER in stock to begin with, and when they relist it, it will be the 64gb version, just watch...

I swear I am going to start a thread on "WHY YOU SHOULD HATE WORST BUY!" and only use them as a brick and mortar showroom for direct vendor/Amazon purchases!

DRTigerlilly and bloodycape like this.
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Thank goodness I am still mostly happy with my S3(while cursing at the slow emmc drive), so I am in the boat of waiting until something with SSD and more ports come out at that size.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

How apple-like of Samsung to up the price of the SB10 $100 or nearly 15% for 64GB of eMMC storage.:vbrolleyes:

I love my S3. Would like something more powerful but I'm not in any hurry. I could easily sit this one out until somebody starts to discount the SB10 or WOA is released.

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The older pens will always have offset unless they are modified, b/c the sensor is physically farther away than in the S-pen.

We might have to crowdfund a Pro pen :p

Bronsky likes this.