Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You must be a proud papa :D

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If you want a 10" fanless Windows tablet with more power than an Atom, it looks like the Samsung S2 10.6" is the only game in town. Yes, it is missing an AMOLED display, an SSD HD, a kickstand, and some other features we would like. It is a bit thicker than I would like and doesn't have a silo. But it is fanless (there appears to be a vent on the side however) and it has Core M power in a 10" tablet. From what I have seen from the MWC pictures the display looks okay for a TFT model (with the viewing angles I've seen, it must be IPS). It also has the advantage of an EMR S-Pen. 1080p is decent resolution in a 10" display. Consider the competition. The Asus 10" Mini with a last generation X5 Atom power and substandard resolution. So too, the Miix 320 is powered by a Cherry Trail Atom and 1080p is only an option. When you look at the completion, I don't see any for the 10" S2.

So, the question is whether to go for a 10" unit ATM or think about the Surface 5 and fill in the smaller fanless tablet space with a W10/ARM when they are released at the end of the year. I think the S2 will do everything I ask of my S3 and give me the power boost that I would like. As of now, I think I'm in, unless something similar comes along.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Wasn't that supposed to be dual Windows/Android?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

A good overall assessment Bronsky, but that "thickness and no silo" thing is really bugging me. I said last week I was over worrying about no silo if I could go S-Pen everywhere and the Galaxy Note is always with me BUT I never dreamed they would produce a 9mm THICK tablet without an embedded S-Pen. That is just FOOLISH. Even their low end Tab A 10.1 has a stick in a silo.

On the screen thing, you are dead on - I realize that AMOLED is gorgeous, but that 10.6 really looks good, even at an angle. If it is similar to the Tab A 10.1, it will be more than good enough for a small tablet.

However, if Apple squeezes a 10.5" screen in the iPad Pro 9.7 frame, it is still going to be tough sledding for the 10.6 Galaxy Book since it will look like a porker and you still have to find a place to carry the S Pen just like struggling with the Pencil.

Bronsky and WillAdams like this.
  5. Bronsky

The thickness I'll have to see in person. The lack of silo is a missed opportunity. As always, the glass is both half-full and half empty, it depends on your perspective. From the perspective of an SP4 owner, I'm sure the glass is half empty. From the S3 owner's perspective, the glass is clearly half-full. Still, plenty of time to wait and hope for something better. In any event, at the anticipated price, it could be a decent stop gap between an x86 device and W10/ARM.

BTW, love the aspect ratio of the 10" book. With the S-Pen, I suspect that the Galaxy book will make a strong tablet and a less capable notebook. I think it will be a great annotator.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    JoeS likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm sure the artists here already noticed this, but Samsung and Microsoft have integrates the new S Pen with Windows Ink support (including tilt, shading, and brushstrokes).
    Micrososft and Samsung Collaboration

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Who cares how thick it is, as long as its thin enough to be comfortable in the hand? While I admit that the thickness and weight are more than is common in 2017, and while it would have indeed been very nice to have a pen in a silo, I've been holding out the last few years with my old EMR Thinkpad Tablet 2 from 2013 for mobile inking... so this looks pretty good to me. Once we got to 1.35" thickness and 1.3-1.4 lb weight a few years ago... eh, the rest is just degrees of niceness. They're all mobile in the hand and lightweight, by my standards. Would it be nice if someone could finally provide us a replacement for netbooks? Some sort of detachable clamshell for a 10" device? Yes. But other than that, this is pretty nice.

I mean, come on! :) This checks so many boxes. Remember how we b*tched and moaned about 16:9 screens on a tablet? Well, this is 3:4 again! I thought we'd never see that again on a windows device. And it's HD! How many more pixels do we need in a 10" device to really be useful? And its EMR again!! Remember how we b*tched and moaned about that too? Plus, it's got tilt- which actually has real value to me. Plus LTE, and 10 hours of battery life. And full Windows. Are we really going to complain about 1.5 mm of thickness when this provides so much that we still can't find in any Windows device elsewhere? And if it's sub 500$, all the better for a secondary device.

I actually have more issues with the 12" Book, which is far too limited for a primary device (IMO) and way too expensive for a secondary device. And I have my gripes about the 10" too- a USB 3.1 port and silo would make it near perfect. But given the competition, this is the best option for a mobile notepad or sketcher that there is, as far as I can tell. I'm definitely pondering.

8. Bronsky

I think this will be unique among 10" tablets. Docked at work, it will likely be my only computer (other than my phone that is).

Since the last Samsung Windows Tablet was sold by the Microsoft Store, I'm hoping that they carry this one as well. I would love to have a Complete Care warranty on it. Warranty service is my big concern about the Chinese tablets (other than their aspect ratio). I have never had a problem with warranty service from the MS Store.

I also wonder if the new Galaxy Note 8's S-Pen will be fully compatible with the S-Pen on the Galaxy Book?

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I would imagine the G8 S-pen would be- though it will probably be calibrated differently, since the barrel size/ length will be different. A common issue with using various different EMR pens on the same device.

Does the 10" device come with a dock of some sort?

Finally, I was a bit confused- is the 10" Book the same as the 10" TabProS 2? Or are they two different devices? I know we have two different threads.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There is no TabPro S2. That thread was started when we didn't know what it was going to be called, that name was speculation by the media, simply because the device was assumed to be a successor to the TabPro S.
    In the end, the device that we thought would be called TabPro S2 was actually named Galaxy Book. And it comes in two sizes, 10" and 12" with different specs on the inside as well.

Confusion ended? ;)

WillAdams and Ed Hardy like this.