Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I'd be fine with the EMMC as it seems to be faster than what the Surface 3 offers, not to mention the Core M is a faster cpu, but the fact it only has one USB-C drive is a no. At least with my Surface 3 I can charge and the usb port at the same time since both are separate. I really don't want to be dongling it just to charge and use my usb flash drive.

kvoram likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I just don't get why they made the 10" version such a porker (8.9mm) WITHOUT a siloed S-Pen.

THAT'S JUST STUPID (and yes, stupid IS as stupid DOES).

3. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep, the Alpine Ridge controller is always needed. I remember some articles long before Kaby-Lake release mentioning some sort of Thunderbolt 3 support. But I never read anything detailed about that, so it might have been an inflated rumor, some misunderstanding or maybe it was simply meant as having integrated/better support in terms of drivers.
    When a USB-C port uses Thunderbolt 3, the Alpine Ridge controller replaces the regular USB host controller on the mainboard and does double-duty for Thunderbolt 3 and all USB and USB-spec related functions. I don't see how they would eliminate that.
    The challenges with TB3, apart from paying a couple bucks more, is that Alpine RIdge is slightly bigger and it of course needs to be wired accordingly to support TB3 fully. If the latter isn't done, we end up with something like Dell's crippled x2 PCIe lanes on TB3.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to agree....I'd like to image the extra thickness was maybe to house a bigger battery......surely using Core M would easily counteract having a smaller battery from just the physical nature of the size difference between the models to net the 10 incher the same relative battery life as the 12incher.....but even housing a 30w battery....they should have been able to easily get it down to the 7mm range since they so clearly did that with the Core i5 model with an added cooling system.

Since Samsung is "presumably" trying to cut as many corners as they can.....to make a tablet thinner....even if its doable... it still takes more time and money from an engineering perspective.....(whats that old saying...."any idiot can make something big")....it was probably just cheaper to make it bigger.

But if they were going to give us a 9mm tablet.....they could have at least given us one addiitonal USB 3.1 Type A port, a pen silo, and/or a kickstand. Far as ports.....I think a far more preferable arrangement would have been on the more expensive 12-incher, to give us 2 ThunderBolt USB-C ports, and on the 10-incher, 1 Standard USB C, and 1 USB 3 type A.

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I realize Microsoft has helped Samsung with the design of the Galaxy Book, but I still don't think that totally eliminates the possibility of a Microsoft produced 10-inch Surface Air especially with how lame this 10.6-inch Surface Air-wannabe turned out to be. Microsoft has been noted for helping other companies as well, such as Eve Technology with their EVE 5, but they certainly aren't cancelling their Surface Pro line even though the EVE 5 uses the same digitizer, display, and pen technology as the Pro 4. In fact, I think with Apple's rumored triad of differently sized iPads which are said to be released in the not too distant future, this raises the possibility that Microsoft might be inclined to release different sizes or formats of the Surface Pro 5. In addition, as is typical of them, I believe Microsoft saved the best technology for themselves even if they helped Samsung to squeeze a full Core i processor with a fan into a 7.4mm thick body and a full Core M into a device with a 10.6" display. So though Microsoft helped Samsung do some semi-impressive engineering, Microsoft is known for their WOW factor and being a good deal ahead of the curve in their product releases, leading me to believe they have something extraordinary in store with the Surface Pro 5. I am not betting the farm on this, but I think there may still be the possibility of a smaller form factor Surface Pro 5 being a part of the reveals of the yet-to-be announced upcoming Surface event.

Wait and hope–hopefully not naively.

siddhartth and dstrauss like this.
  6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would hope that we get some news from Microsoft on their Win10 on ARM development. MWC is after all some sort of ARM-fest. But the only "event" that I read about is Monday's joint Porsche Design launch event...

siddhartth and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

I hope they don't use this crappy product release as their patzi. If they blame the market for not being ready or viable for their product, they totally misread what was plain as day. Instead, they should be asking themselves if/when the Book 10.6-inch fails: What did we not listen for and fully address as our market's needs before releasing our product? What did we overlook in designing our product that was a common or minimum product feature found among our competitors' offerings? What was a feature we heard and addressed in our product design yet should/could have been better than what we had? How can we fix each of these problems?

8. sonichedgehog360

Here is a great response I found online from the AnandTech article's comment section. Was this one of you guys, by chance? I hope Windows on ARM and Ryzen mobile products hurry along so Intel will begin to lower their exorbitant pricing:

"For the specs of the smaller model, I wouldn't be surprised if they're aiming for a $499 to $599 price tag. But I wish they opted for UFS storage. Oh well... Intel makes it hard for sensible compromises. If Core M was more reasonably priced, I'm sure Sammy would've opted for both UFS and AMOLED. Guess we'll have to wait for low power Ryzen APUs and/or full Windows 10 on ARM for prices to actually allow OEMs to be more competitive in other design compromises.

"Your days are numbered, Intel. Keep milking while you can."
    Source: http://www.anandtech.com/comments/1...-12inch-windows-tablets-with-kaby-lake/534163

dstrauss likes this.
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

With the way HP is pumping out tablet two with similar specs and build from their business line, maybe they will be the one to give us a wacom based 10in competitor to the SGB10 with Core M cpu, multiple usb ports, and a kickstand?

10. sonichedgehog360

Here is a prelude of this already in action. Over at Micro Center, they already have dropped the pricing on all their mid-tier Intel processors by around $50 to $100. For example, the Core i7-6700K which has been hovering around $300-$350 has now been dropped to $259.99. See for yourself here:
    http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...294966995+4294891635+4294964566&myStore=false

The Hot Hardware article is only partially true and is attempting to ride on the Ryzen hype.
    http://hothardware.com/news/intel-reacting-to-amd-ryzen-apparently-cutting-prices-on-core-i7

Many of the processors they say dropped by at least $100 were already marked down by $50 or more from MSRP. That said, the hype is real. The net price drop over the last day or so for all affected processors averaged around a stark $50, a huge sum of money by any estimation. Yes, this is likely the single biggest category-wide price drop we have seen in Intel processors since the dawn of the Athlon 64/Pentium 4 price wars in 2003. If this is anything like that silicon squabble of yore, what we are seeing today is a mere prelude to the countless fierce price cuts yet to come from both sides.

Recall AMD still has to release their mid-tier R5 and low-tier R3 Ryzen processors, Ryzen desktop APUs, and Ryzen mobile APUs in the second half of this year. In response, Intel will be releasing desktop processors under 8th Generation Coffee Lake by then as well, though still held back by a 14-nanometer process so don't expect any miracles. AMD is only beginning to stage their frontal assault and they are fighting fearlessly from the top down as demand surges and production ramps up to fill the influx of order requests. With any luck and we are hoping for a lot of it, a Ryzen Core M contender will come soon to invade the market in a year or two to similarly drive prices down in the premium Windows tablet category.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Tams and kvoram like this.