Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I cannot speak for online resellers, but I ordered directly from Cube within China.

Their customer service was actually top-notch. I sent them a screenshot of a Windows Event Viewer error log, and they replaced my machine (i7 Stylus) in just 2 days, after sending it in.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Oh god - I really do love (and want) S Pen EMR, but they've made so many unusual compromises in the 10", and the 12" is a good competitor for the current Surface Pro 4, which will likely be eclipsed by Surface Pro 5 next month - it's hard when you are shooting at a moving target.

Frankly, I would have liked to downsize to the 10" but have some real reservations. It looks like NEITHER model supports Thunderbolt 3, so I wonder where that will leave me with my two WQHD moitors.

Anyone hear aything about a dock for this?

3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Watching the Samsung MWC Presentation. There will also be a "Staedlter" version of the sPen.

~27 min mark

I guess, depending where you live the Chinese tablet may be a good value. Not for me, plus bad quality control.

sonichedgehog360 and WillAdams like this.
  4. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Can anyone confirm that i5 Kaby Lake permits fanless designs? I was just watching this video and he says "fanless" at this precise moment but he could be wrong...:

EDIT: He says it at 1:40, I don't know why I can't paste the precise link here.

Or maybe these vents are to cool the tablet down and not fan exhaust vents?

5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@artistebot : more infos on the Staedtler Noris digital, somehow in the wrong thread: ;)
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/surface-4-please-be-a-surface-air.69584/page-15#post-492335

@Tonitti The 12" Galaxy Book has a fan, Samsung has shown the insides during their launch event. That dude is simply wrong. Any CPU "permits" fanless designs, the issue is not whether you can do it in general but whether you have enough space for elaborate passive cooling or a very efficient themal design.
    The Acer Switch Alpha 12 cools an i5-U or i7-U completely fanless for example.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  6. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the clarification.

7. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If they are cheap about the eMMC, they are not going to pay for TB3....
    A single DP1.2 connection supports dual WQHD monitors. As long as you don't upgrade to something higher-res, you don't need TB3 for that.

dstrauss and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Wow! I should cross post my question in the Cube threads here and on TechTablets and see what people have to say about their warranty coverage. If excellent warranty coverage is a common thread among other users as well, I will seriously consider a purchase down the road!

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Though the tablet manufacturers don't all always explicitly mention Thunderbolt support with USB C, they would need a converter chip since the Kaby Lake U/Y processors don't have the functionality built-in. At least, I don't see any Thunderbolt 3 explicitly shown on this Kaby Lake Y/U block diagram, but I might need to do some digging around in the technical documentation to verify this:

[​IMG]

If Kaby Lake is anything like Skylake (depicted in this block diagram of the Skylake-based Skull Canyon NUC) and it is very similar indeed, they would need to invest in an Alpine Ridge chip (the box pointing from the left of the box labeled "Type C" in the upper right hand corner) to provide Thunderbolt 3.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 support over USB C.

[​IMG]

Like @kvoram, their uber chintziness with something as simple as the omission of an SSD only leads me to believe they would do the same here with the USB C port. With all these flaws, unless this goes for under $500, the Book 10.6-inch is bound to fail miserably at launch.

kvoram likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks K - I'm really happy with my two 27" WQHD monitors - text is crisp and sharp, and perfect for my productivity needs. What I would hope is that they would at least offer the hub from the Galaxy TabPro S so I could attach other peripherals and charge, while using the other USB-C to drive the monitors.