Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. joe75

joe75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes probably, judging from this link compatibility does not seem so great.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61vvJ1lmMiL.pdf

you can try to find this cable 4K@60 Hz from usb-c to hdmi directly and it can charge your tablet at the same time but i think you will need a more powerful charger than the 30W from Samsung that shipped with your Galaxy Book 12.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B078JZMR9L/

I have it and it is working nicely at 4K@60Hz, if you don't need 4K@60Hz any other usb-c docks will do.

takki likes this.
  2. takki

takki Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your time. I'll be sure to check the USB-C video compatibility of my next system, as feature support does seem to be a bit hit-and-miss still, looking at that PDF.

3. sosimple

sosimple Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread is probably dead but, is there any news for installing android to galaxy book?
    Has anyone tried any newer versions?
    What is the best we can have in android? What doesn't work? I remember there wasn't working wifi, brightness, sound?
    I have xiaomi mi pad 2 and working fine with windows and android. With Intel cpu and 2mb ram. Also i have Surface book 2 and android is working there also..
    It is a pity galaxy book with so much better hardware can't do this..

If anyone has any news Thanks,

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Why would you want to download Android on a Galaxy Book at all? Given the kickstand/keyboard attachment accessories, wouldn't it be easier to just plunk down for a Tab S6, S7, or S7 +.

Tams likes this.
  5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Honestly, I'm not sure why you would bother. Windows can do pretty everything better and hardware wise there are better Android tablets out there. Not worth it for, what?, one or two Android apps.

But if you must, you could give Android x86 a go.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Tams

For completion's sake (if anyone ends up here in a decade or more with the same problem):

I never did get around why charging via an outlet kept switching between powered and battery using pass-through power on both the Kingston Nucleum hub (two different ones) and a Kensington hub. It worked fine on both using a power bank.

Using a powered hub did the trick (thanks thatcomicsguy). I did get intense coil whine with one hub, but that's not related.

Marty likes this.
  7. sosimple

I wanted to double boot, not to stop using windows. I have done it in mipad 2 and is VERY useful in android.
    I already know that android x86 didn't work sound, wifi, brightness control, so it isn't workable. That's why I'm asking if there is any progress to any of this problems.
    Sure s7+ is better for android but you have to paid it again..

8. Tams

I'm afraid you aren't going to find what you want as the first gen Galaxy Book line was not available for that long and wasn't popular. So there's only a small community of users out there, very few of whom want to use Android on it and if they do want Android can afford to buy a separate device.

The lesson from this is that you should never buy a device under the pretence of there possibly being something unofficially supported on it. Hell, you probably shouldn't buy anything on the promise of official updates, just based on what it can do at the time of purchase. Even the best examples of things going well (the HTC HD2 for example) eventually end up abandoned.

So, you have three choices here:
    • port Android to it yourself
    • pay someone else to port Android to it
    • buy an Android tablet like the S6 lite
    I suggest you do the last one.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    sosimple, Kumabjorn and WillAdams like this.
  9. sosimple

You readed my mind.. :)
    I already search to buy s6, but not the lite, but the pro.
    I found s7 plus second hand very good price, 550€ but i decided to buy s6 as s7 plus is as big as book 12, and having 2 devices with almost the same size screen, i don't think is best option.

10. joe75

joe75 Pen Pal - Newbie

You can also install an Android emulator for the few apps you might need, but i agree Windows 10 should be good enough in most cases.

I can also say the tab s7 plus with keyboard is a good buy for me.
    S6 il quitte à good tablet but unfortunately, its keyboard cover was awful

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    sosimple likes this.