Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

All I had was the USB-C that came with the monitor - shouldn't be that specific.

2. takki

takki Pen Pal - Newbie

So I just had a chat with Samsung support and they have said that the ports on my Galaxy Book 12 do not support video. Can you tell me the model number of your GB12, @dstrauss ?

I've included the main part of the chat below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@takki - I'll have to reply later - teh GB12 is at home right now. Samsung tried to tell me it couldn't do dual monitors either (even though the website advertised that) and that's when I learned the monitors must be set up for DP MST.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I call horsecrap on that.

I never tried connecting dual monitors, but I can attest the Galaxy Book 10.6's lone USB-C port can easily handle a second monitor with nothing more then a USB-C cable. I've connected my Mobile Studio Pro, Lenovo Lt1423p, and Ausus Zen Touch Monitor as second monitors to the GB 10.6 successfully with a single USB-C cable. The only trick was making sure the USB-C cable itself can support video. Some of the included USB-C to USB-C cables that come with chargers sometimes only do power. But since the 10.6 was the low cost/stripped down option compared to the more expensive GB12, that would be ungodly stupid of Samsung to neuter the GB12's USB-C ports in that way, but not do so with the GB10.6

dstrauss likes this.
  5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I confirm that the GB10 support video using usbc 2 usbc

6. takki

takki Pen Pal - Newbie

I was thinking of buying the following cable to try. Do you think it should be sufficient?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y86RTS8/

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

8. takki

takki Pen Pal - Newbie

I received the new USB-C to USB-C cable today ( https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y86RTS8/ ) and tried it, but I'm still not getting a video signal to the monitor. I'm thinking there must be different hardware configurations of Galaxy Book 12's out there, some with video out via USB-C and some without, or, this monitor, for some reason, won't work with the Galaxy Book 12, but I've tried my phone with the monitor (USB-C to USB-C) and the monitor picks it up straight away and displays the phone screen. So I'm unfortunately at a loss now and unsure if there's anything else I can do or try to get it to work.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  9. joe75

joe75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Takki, all i can give you is my thoughts and my personal experience,

I have used the Galaxy Book with the BENQ 32E80U monitor it comes with its own usb-c cable 65W PD, i tried to connect my Galaxy Book it was charging but the monitor was not detected and never received a signal., i then tried with my samsung smartphone and it was recognized instantenously and booted with DEX...and out of Dex the phone can even do 4K@60Hz...
    Whatever i did the Galaxy Book was never able to connect via usb-c to this BenQ monitor.

Now today, a few months later... I have tried with the Samsung M7 32" Monitor with usb-c, and the Galaxy Book 12 had no problem to send a video signal 4K@60Hz..(honestly i was not expecting it to work after the failure with BenQ monitor)

So i can conclude that there is an incompatibility with the monitor.... and i would say that is probably because Samsung has not properly implemented all usb-c modes.

PS : connecting via Usb-c was the best solution for a 4K monitor, because there are not many dock that allow to output 4K@60Hz...
    I still think that my 10 years old 27" 1080 FHD and non HDR was much easy for compatibility.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    takki likes this.
  10. takki

takki Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info. I believe the other person on this thread that had got it working with their monitor was also using a Samsung monitor, so they maybe have something set so they'll only work with their own monitors or something.