Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. 2ndHouse

2ndHouse Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wondering if anyone has used this stylus with the Galaxy Book and if it works better than other non-Samsung pens? Seen it reviewed on Aaron Rutten's channel. It also has great reviews on Amazon and has a good price. Their website does specifically list the Galaxy Book 10 and 12 as being compatible, but I'm wondering if it works well straight out of the box without calibration, etc.

https://www.lamy.com/en/emr/

2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have one. The output feels the same as any Samsung pen, and I didn't have to calibrate it.
    Really the only difference is the feel of the barrel compared to others. If you like fountain pen sized barrels, then this would be a great choice.

Personally, I mostly use the Noris Staedtler S-pen because it's not crazy expensive, and I have multiples of them in case I lose one. Also the Staedtler can fit in those "Apple Pencil" elastic sleeves that I wrap across the back cover. I doubt I'll buy more than one Lamy, so it stays at home.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I just ordered one I should receive on tuesday. I'll check how it works on the galaxy book.

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I bought a Lamy S-Pen and am quite pleased --- it's a bit heavier than I prefer (I'd rather have a Safari than an Al-Star), so it doesn't replace my Staedtler Noris which I continue to use, but is nice enough that it's in my EDC bag as a back up when traveling (relegating the original stylus to redundant spare).

5. 2ndHouse

2ndHouse Pen Pal - Newbie

One of my main concerns is button functionality. I like the default S-Pen OK, but I wish it was thicker and had two buttons. I guess I just got really used to my Wacom pen.

So it looks like the Staedtler doesn't have any buttons, so that's out for me. I'm wondering how you customize the button on the Lamy, with a driver or something? I'm currently using ahk script for the Samsung pen, which isn't ideal but works well enough most of the time.

Are there any third party pens for the Galaxy Book that are both thicker and have two customizable buttons, similar to Intuos pens? I haven't seen any in my searches.

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Maybe the Tab s4 pen?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

as far as I’m aware....among the current gen of non-Cintiq EMR devices......almost all the pens are single button only...(.I suspect this was done deliberately by Wacom......like pens with a 2nd button is an up sell to Cintiq/Mobile Studios)

However there is one exception.....the Acer Concept D7 Ezel Pro....and another model the Acer Concept D9......,It is confirmed they indeed use Wacom EMR, and by all accounts the pens clearly do have 2 side buttons. However those Acer Concept devices are insanely expensive....like in the $4000 plus range.....the D9 is out....but not sure if the D7 Ezel is released yet.....but I don’t believe Acer is officially selling spare pens for it. However you could try calling Acer’s sales number on their site, who knows maybe they could arrange to sell you just the pen.

baring the Acer pens....the only other 2 Buttoned EMR pens would be the older school tablet PC pens....like the Axitron Studio Pen....however the change In nib assembly would make most of those pens for the most part unusable on modern EMR devices, so I wouldn’t really consider those viable.

I however still think the Hp Zbook x2 pen is the king of current non-Cintiq EMR pens....the pen itself has a Cintiq like style design....only a single button, but you get a relatively long Comfortable pen with a backend eraser.

8C86EC79-CFD2-4C37-8D5A-40A135CF4906.jpeg 83C55ADB-142E-4823-87E0-22835203AE33.jpeg 80B3A42E-B4A1-4AE8-B5D1-14480D1C7F90.jpeg

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    WillAdams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

(Collating from my earlier posts, here and here)

The Dell Canvas is UD EMR gen 2 and has two side on the pen (but lacks an eraser):

(ParkaBlogs)
    [​IMG]

I can confirm that the second side button on the Canvas pen is a typical Wacom side-switch that can be remapped normally. (It should respond to mappings in the Wacom Feel drivers, but I haven't tested that.)

[​IMG]

@thatcomicsguy reported it can drop strokes (but I haven't noticed the issue so far). From my usage it's a decent pen, though the nib/pressure curve still feels better on my old Fujitsu T5000 pen and the Galaxy Book S-pen.

WillAdams, thatcomicsguy and ticol like this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Dell Canvas is sort of a unique entity to its own, Spec wise with 4096 levels of pressure.....it would appear to be UD EMR Gen 2......but it’s using the Nibs of Gen 1.....and that change in the nib assembly is mostly what makes the Gen 1 pens unusable on Gen 2 devices (in varying degrees....pen by pen basis). It’s more like a Gen 1.5 I guess. But I would still be a little hesitant over how well it could work on proper Gen 2 emr devices.

WillAdams, thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, it's a really nice pen... I wish mine worked properly. I went to the expense of replacing it and much to my disappointment, the same failure cropped up. -That is, after a few hours of use, contact failures (contact but no line) started occurring with increasing frequency; my guess is that the two pens came from the same batch.

The solution was to just use a different compatible pen model. -Which, I should add, only has a single button. Luckily, I've never found a second button useful.

darkmagistric and Marty like this.