Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@WillAdams

We have seen that in our VP's device. We aren't 100% certain what the root cause is, but we believe that its related to some possibly corrupted values within the software that controls brightness. The solution we discovered by accident was to let the device run down completely while on battery until it shut down itself.

Admittedly this is very thin and anecdotal, but it also strikes me as a low risk thing to try so I thought I'd pass it along.

WillAdams and nnthemperor like this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My thanks. That worked. I'll save the driver reinstall for a more desperate time.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Awesome! Glad it helped. :)

4. Amleth

Amleth Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an 8/256GB WiFi-only Galaxy Book 12, and I dropped it the screen a few days ago. Only a foot or so, but the glass cracked in the top left of the screen and the top half of the display became all corrupted and garbled, mostly showing just black but flickering the image in in random colors sometimes, and the touch screen no longer functioned at all. Other than this, the the tablet seemed to work normally with mouse and keyboard, so I ordered a USB-C dock so I could at least keep using it as a tiny desktop with an external monitor.

The dock and related bits arrived today (PD charger, new cables), and I went to set it up, but it won't boot now. I had leftit running and plugged in and came back to find it off. If I turn it on, the power LED at the top of the screen lights up blue but then immediately transitions to flashing blue then light blue back and forth indefinitely. In this state it doesn't react to holding down the power button, but it does restart if I hold down "power" + "volume down" for ten seconds. Then it immediately returns to flashing blue/light blue. :/

Anyone have any suggestions I might try to get it to actually start up so I can switch the video out to external and hopefully keep using this thing, or at least recover my stuff without ripping it open for the SSD?

5. sosimple

sosimple Pen Pal - Newbie

Those are the partitions on ssd in my book 12. Can I delete any?
    Samsung Rec, and Samsung rec2, are for reinstall the os? Do I need both of them? I remember (if I remember well) that there was only on partition Samsung rec.
    Perhaps because of the update to windows 10? If so, do I need both or can I delete any.
    The partition sized 890mb, what is it?
    I need to know what is needed , also how to backup them to an external USB hard disk, so to make more free ssd.
    I already created a bootable USB with custom lite windows which I installed as double boot. (I have 2 versions of windows 10, the original and a lite one), so I don't actually needing the os backup partitions. Only if I sell the book, to make it as it was.
    Thanks, to anyone who knows.
    (Disk2 is my 400gb microSD)

https://imgur.com/MdO7wV2

Edit. For anyone who is interested in , this is the lite os I installed:

It works fantastic in our book 12. It gives the device more years of life.
    Improved speed, improved battery, improved heat , less space, everything are working fine.
    I use nod 32 as antivirus which also is very lite. When you read in the book, CPU is mostly to 0%.
    To install it, you need to download the .iso and install it to a USB with Rufus . It has instructions.
    I first did the mistake just to copy the iso to USB and believing it will install.
    It didn't even gives you the option to install from USB.
    But when I installed with Rufus in the USB, the miracle happened . It gave me the option to boot from the USB , see the windows custom os and selected to install it.
    I had already created a ntfs partition in the ssd, I selected to installed it there, and everything worked fine. If 1st reboot during the installation I removed the USB stick , and installation continued fine.
    After, I had an option in every boot from which os I wanted to boot. (I set 1 sec to wait and if didnt select one, to auto boot to 1st. I then changed the name of the one to "Lite").
    The custom os have very few when installed. It didnt even had windows store.
    But it has a store like from the developer, with many many choises of what you want to reinstall.
    First was the windows store, as also whatever else I wanted. Language is English, but for writing you can add whatever language you want. I added Greek.
    It doesn't have updates from Microsoft for the os. For apps you have.
    Many problems I had with the original os improved .
    when I was printing to a USB printer wiressly from router , it stacked for 20 seconds. Now it is instantly .
    also now I have 2 os. I can have one ready to do my works, and buld the other the way I like it without needed to do everything in a day.

I know many will need a lighter os so I wrote all this to inform.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    AriWS and Marty like this.
  6. sosimple

Has anyone tried to install chrome os? I don't know if any Samsung Chromebook has the same specs, same wifi, etc, so it will probably work. I found this .
    if anyone try, infirm .

7. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone else had problem with banding on their screens with the Galaxy Book 12?

My book was a bit of a lemon. Had to replace the motherboard, and the screen, but my warranty has run out and the second screen on this device is already showing some banding. I can live with it, but I am pretty disappointed that this problem happened twice now.

8. LeoZappa

LeoZappa Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I have had banding since the beginning and it has gotten worse over time. Never had the chance to claim warranty on it (moved to different country and no "backup" laptop). Quite disappointing indeed.

9. sosimple

I tried this

I created a live usb from this. It booted ok but as I was expecting, in WiFi screen doesn't recognised my internal wifi card so I can't login to see how it works..
    If anyone has any solution to bypass this screen.. It looks awesome if it is working right.
    Touch screen is working, brightness is max , sound can't test from this screen.

10. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

What a shame, since the OLED screen is fantastic. Even though the banding isn't severe to the point that I can't use the screen, the little reminder that its there makes me want to use the device less and less.