Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Dale:

Are you still running the original GB 12? If so, have you received/installed the May 2019 Feature Update (1903)?

Thanks

2. alex22202000

alex22202000 Pen Pal - Newbie

i have a samsung galaxy book 12
    i just goes straight to system password and won't let me into bios

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My GB12 has begun randomly flickering when large areas of white are on screen if nothing changes on-screen --- anyone know of a cause or solution? (I'm still on 1703, but some update was forced onto the machine a while back).

I had been considering getting an LTE Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 from either Verizon or T-Mobile, but now I'm wondering if I should instead go for a Galaxy Book 2.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hmm... I suppose we are beginning to make our way into the foothills of "Mount Hardware Fatigue". The GB has been out since 2017... I was hoping to see this era of Samsung machines last a few years longer, but we'll discover as we go. Hopefully a software tweak will remedy. Do you have an old working image of the SSD somewhere handy to fall back on?

5. WillAdams

I'm hoping to not have to reinstall Windows.

I suspect that it's a software thing --- something to do with the update I got and using Drawboard PDF --- I was reviewing a thesis and the problem doesn't seem to come up when I'm not using Drawboard.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

The may update was finally available for my GB10 a week ago. Just recently updated, i'll have to check the stylus registry fix again i think.

And it's not been available on my TPYoga, at least until now, i read MS finally roll out the MAY update to everyone now...

7. WillAdams

Since I've not been using Drawboard the problem has gone back to a very occasional, very random thing which occurs when certain websites are visited using certain web-browsers, or the machine is left idle for a while.

8. wytn

Anyone knows if a replacement for the original origami keyboard cover of the GB10 is available online? I mean, the same one/keyboard cover by Samsung. It doesn't seem to be the case? I didn't find anything on Samsung website either? It might be possible to find a used one on ebay from time to time i suppose but i didn't see any.

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I recently had to fix a similar issue on the GB12. I uninstalled the display drivers (via device manager w/delete driver checked), then re-installed the latest 7th-gen graphics drivers on Intel's website.

I believe the issue was caused by an architectural change to the DCH driver architecture in 1809, which Samsung did not a release proper update for. However, since you are on 1703 (with the unspecified update you mentioned), that may or may not apply to your situation.

One thing you could try if the latest drivers don't work, is installing an older driver, such as from May 2017. Then keep trying each later version until one is stable.

Hope that helps.

WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. wytn

Sorta going back to this (and i had forgotten someone mentioned it, i was just looking at the AirStand posts before posting mine...)

NB: Lately, i've also been using the AirStand sticked to the GB10 origami cover...

So two 2 cents-thoughts about that hacky-cut thing

Let's look at the cover _of the GB 10.6"_ model.

1&2/ See pic #1 and #2 for what i mean.

It's possible to use the AirStand in "reverse" (upside down?): instead of sticking it to bottom part of the GB you stick it on the upper part and it works the same. There's an additional rubber-thing that comes in the box to add to the Stand precisely to use it like this. (I haven't added it tho)

3/ See pic #3.

The blue magnets shows where the keyboard-cover magnetically gets 'attached'

The other blue strokes are there to indicate that there is some slight magnetism going on there too.

4/ See pic #4

The two blue lines shows again where the magnetism holds the cover into place.

To note: Of these two lines, the magnetism along (actually above) the middle line (and 1st origami fold) is really less important than the one of the second line/origimi fold/magnet-attachement along the top line of the cover.
    This second one (it's on the bottom on the pic) really seems to hold the cover more into place, there's more of a "clack" when attaching it.

5/ See pic #5

This photo just attempt to show that on the GB10.6" the AirStand (when attached in reverse) sits above the first "magnet line" of the origami cover.

What do i mean with all that?

I'd feel like cutting the cover "bove the first fold/magnet line so i could use the stand like that with the cover too

or well, more like, perhaps cutting the above cover part while also keeping the parts of the origami cover that surround the AirStands.

Not sure how the second part after the fold would hold up once cut. And along the cut parts something would be needed so that the remaining of the cover doesn't slowly 'peel/disintegrate' (you prob see what i mean. i hope.)

And how do i feel about trying this?

Ehhh, not sure cause of the first magnet-line (just below the stand) that isn't all that strong compared to the second one (the top one on the tablet).

If i had a backup cover or could get a replacement, i'd just try.

(How well or bad the end-result would look? Heh i don't really mind if it'd worked.)

PS: I know the cover of the 12" is different but not exactly how it is, i suppose it has a least one more fold as it can be folded in more ways.

PS2: How much do i like to lose my time? Please don't ask.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Tablet Nostradamus and JoeS like this.